“Good location but with some service issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Pittsburgh

You added Fairmont Pittsburgh to your Saves list
Fairmont Pittsburgh
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   510 Market Street, at Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #2 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Good location but with some service issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

We stayed at the Fairmont Pittsburgh for 5 nights in November. Check in was easy but the front desk staff did not inform us of the option to get free news papers delivered to our room. We discovered this the next morning and had to call for the service going forward. Our room (2 queens with a river view) was comfortable, spacious and well-appointed. Valet parking was certainly not worth it (at $30) when one could pull in to the parking garage and pay $19 for the day.

We were disappointed by some service issues and the management response to those issues once we raised them: we came back to the room one day and found our dirty coffee cups still there from the morning and no change of towels and bath mat despite them being on the floor for a change. Upon calling to report this, we were assured that house-keeping would address these issues immediately and that the manager had been notified. We got back from dinner to find the dirty coffee cups still there. We called again and the night house-keeping manager indicated that he had called his staff to have this done. He did not check to make sure it was done himself. Clearly it hadn't happened. The following day, we came back in the evening to an apology note (accompanied by a bottle of water and some snacks?) indicating that this would not happen again. Shockingly, the dirty coffee cups were still in the room! We called again and the night house-keeping staff member came up to visit us. He apologized but could not explain why they (the management) had not followed up on this problem despite two calls from us and the problem from the night before. What baffled us is that despite concerns raised by a guest more than one time, the management did not follow up in a responsible manner. They kept indicating that they told the staff to take care of the problem yet they hadn't come up themselves to check. The answer to our problem was not a complementary bottle of water and some snacks!

As a President's Club member, I have stayed in numerous Fairmont properties over the years and the service has always been excellent. The management at this newish Fairmont property needs to demonstrate much more accountability for issue raised by guests. It is as much their responsibility to check on things as it is the staff's.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Arabic first
huntington, wv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

The hotel sent me an email a few days prior to my stay to ask me what time I would be arriving. I told them 2pm. When I arrived around 1:50pm, I had to wait 50 min on my room to be ready. My husband and I had plans at 3pm, so this really put us in a rush.

Once, we got our room we went upstairs to find the cleaning lady still cleaing the room. She told us the phone was also broken and a repairman would be coming soon. I called downstairs and asked if the repairman could come the next day, after we had checked out and they agreed. However, I had to move his tools to the hallway myself.

We went out that evening and asked the valet to call us a cab. We waited for a very long time and I went up and let him know we had been waiting and thought he would offer to call again. His repsonse was "Sorry." No offer to help at all.

Lastly, I am highly allergic to feather bedding. I was told the reason for the delay in our room, was because they were changing the feather bedding. I woke up the next morning with swollen eyes and a rash on my neck and realized they had removed the feather pillows but had a down comforter on the bed!

I signed up for their "President's Club" before arriving thinking I would recieve premiere service and I did not. The hotel was nice and in a good location, but I would not stay here again. I was in a rush when checking out, or I would have complained about this in person. I do plan on emailing the hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
FairmontPittsburgh, Guest Relations Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm sorry that we were unable to accommodate your early check-in request and that our housekeeping services were not satisfactory. I have also shared your concerns regarding taxi service with our valet attendants to address this issue. Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further. I would also be happy to discuss with you in more detail how the Fairmont President's Club program works.

Best Regards,
Jon Mathews, Director of Operations
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

We just returned from three nights at the new Fairmont Pittsburgh visiting family over the Thanksgiving holiday and have to say it is by far the best hotel in Pittsburgh.

Normally we stay at the Omni William Penn (which is nice in a grand, historic way) but this place blows it away.

The Fairmont is a very modern glass building right in the middle of Downtown Pittsburgh. I would call it a 4 1/2 star property - its very close but not quite (unfortunately) a five star experience but still the best (In my opinion anyway) there is in Pittsburgh. Also a great deal - we paid under $200/night on a pre-paid rate.

Pros:
- Room Quality - the room was clean and very modern with nice views. We had a king room overlooking Market Square on the 19th floor. The bed was super comfortable (although had a strange sheeting around the comforter) and we slept great. The bathroom was also very modern (not marble but still luxurious) had a separate soaking tub and a nice shower with Toto fixtures. Great lighting too around the mirror and under the cabinetry. Also in the bath were high-end toiletries and plush bathrobes. The towels were large and soft. The closet area was well lit and had shelves, room for hanging and a large safe. The TV was a large flat screen with a decent selection of channels, some in HD.

- Mini Bar/Water - My favorite part of the room was the dedicated mini bar area. It included a glass refilable water jug (you can refill at the Ice/Filtered Water station near the elevators on each floor) - great for the environment and it saves you 5 dollars on the typical hotel plastic water bottle purchase. Also there was a pod-style coffee maker in the room with different styles of coffee and teas, etc. Very nice. I didn't check my bill but I think they were complimentary. There were also half and half for the coffee in the refrigerator area - another nice touch.

- Staff/Service - the staff was extremely professional throughout the property - from the valet to front desk to spa area. Upon checkin the clerk walked us to the elevator and could not have been nicer.

- Room Service/Restaurant. We ordered twice from Room service and both times we had a great experience. The food quality was great and breakfast is served very much like it is in any Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons. Prices for Room Service breakfast were not much more (even after fees) than eating in the dining room - so treat yourself as they do a good job with this. We had breakfast in the Habitat restaurant too and although it's not inexpensive, it's very well done and the service was great.

- Spa/Gym - the gym was great and the woman who managed the area (I wish I had asked her name) could not have been nicer or more professional. They provide complimentary hot tea, coffee and water in a bar area before you enter the gym. The gym itself was large for a hotel of this size (I guess because it's shared by the condo owners in the building) and had a great selection of machines and free weights. I remember seeing dumbells over 100 pounds which is rare for a hotel gym. Everything was brand new. The spa was great - we booked two massages with a therapist named Dylan who was terrific. Very reasonably priced at 99$ for 60 minutes too and nice bed/aromatherapy too. (Note there is a Golds gym 2 blocks away if you are a serious weighlifter too - passes were $20/day)

Cons:
- Expensive Valet Parking. If you have a car (and you probably will seeing as you are in Pittsburgh) note that it's $30.00 nightly for parking. Take this into account when comparing rates. You can park yourself in the attached garage but the valet service was attentive and we never waited long for our vehicle. We were told if you park in the garage you have to pay each time you exit via the automated ticket system.

- Some Housekeeping Issues. The housekeeping is good but I feel that this is the area where they miss having what could be a five star property. Turndown service is not
automatic and a few times we wished someone had come in to replace towels, etc. We didn't request it but if you like this be sure to do so. Also one thing that grossed me out
was that some of the glasses in the mini bar area were clearly used by a previous guest. One had what appeared to be some type of toothpaste drain off on it so just kind of gross. Another still had stains from the previous drink. There were some plastic cups there too so we just used those. Probably just being picky here but we also never got additional soap or shampoo during our stay which would have been helpful. The sweeteners in the coffee bar were also not replenished during our stay.

In any case, although there were a few very minor issues the hotel is seriously nice. We brought a few members of our family to see the hotel and they all said that they didn't feel like they were in Pittsburgh while they were visiting the Fairmont that is was like being on vacation. Honestly this was the first trip to Pittsburgh where we
were actually sad to have to leave - mostly becasuse of this property! We admittedly missed some time with family as we didn't want to leave the hotel. It's not perfect but we are looking forward to staying here again.

Dear Don,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Fairmont Pittsburgh over Thanksgiving and had a positive experience in so many aspects of the hotel, including your guest room, Habitat, in-room dining, the Health Club and with our staff. We take great pride in our colleagues and proud of the high level of service they provide. Please also note that I have addressed your concerns with Housekeeping to ensure this issue is not repeated. Please contact me direclty if you would discuss any of these matters futher. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fairmont Pittsburgh in the near future.

Best regards,
Jon Mathews, Director of Operations
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

The valet assistant was more than gracious and gave me a tip to self park to save $24.00 and held my car so we can check in and go for lunch without a charge. The lobby is grand. The rooms are very nice with new bathrooms, comfortable beds and awesome views. Great workout facility. Although the locker room had a steam and sauna, it was not impressive because they did not have an attendant for assistance, cups for water or hot water in the sinks or the feeling of a five star spa you see at resorts.
It is a beautiful high style hotel and I would stay there again without hesitation. More attentive staff and turn down service or staff to let you know it is available upon request. We did not eat in the hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

I'll start off with saying that I read reviews online all the time. I've never reviewed a hotel or had the time or energy to rate one myself, but my experience at this hotel was so bad I felt compelled to share online.

I'll start with the good - the room was clean and the bed was nice. The location is obviously great and the hotel is very new/modern.

Now the bad - if you are going to stay at a hotel and spend 400 bucks for a basic room and breakfast - you'd think you'd be able to get a good meal and/or room service. At least you'd think. I am by no means a food snob but our dining experience at this hotel was flat out awful - both times! We ordered room service for dinner - not just one small place but a few appetizers and entrees for a mini food-party. Dinner arrived an hour later (sigh). First, the bill was screwed up when they brought it. Crab mac-n-cheese was cold as if it was sitting out for 20 minutes. They brought the pad thai dish with NO MEAT. Yes, that's right - a pad thai with no chicken, shrimp, or meat. It was awful. Chicken noodle soup was the same as Campbell's out of a can. Everything else was really average, which makes it bad when you are paying a lot of money for a stay and dining. Would have rather eaten at McDonalds.

Then comes the morning - had the bed and breakfast package so we felt obligated to order breakfast. Two omelets - both cold/luke warm - one WITHOUT cheese! (t was a cheese omelet!!) Ordered two orange juices - brought one. Bacon was cold, rubbery, and undercooked. Blueberry pancakes were blah with syrup in a container the size of a shot glass (there were 4 pancakes??). Ordered ham and sausage and they forgot to bring those up to the room. Hash browns with the omelets were cold. Was supposed to come with toast/jelly. Brought the jelly, forgot the toast. Nice fairmont! Very luxurious. How hard is it to at least get an order right? Even if they would have not screwed up the order, the food for both meals was very very below average.

Bottom line, If you are going to shell out the money to stay at this place so you can tell people you stayed at the Fairmont, do yourself a favor and do NOT eat here, or lower your dining expectations before you check-in. I cannot express to you just how BAD I felt the dining experience was (twice). I let them know, and they offered a 50 dollar room credit (spent about 200 on food). Hopefully this was just an anomaly for them and they get their dining together.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Dear Guest:
I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. On behalf of all our colleagues, I would like you to know that this is not indicative of the level of service we train for and strive to provide.

I will be following up with the areas you mention with the intent of ensuring that your experience will not be repeated.

Pleae contact me at the hotel so that I may investigate this completely.

Jon Mathews
Director of Operations
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

was there this evening for an event in what they call their "ballroom" i could have found a more beautiful ballroom at a motel. Bland colors, bad lighting, couldn't imagine why anyone would want to hold an event there. Parking was terrible we were told there was a parking garage there but when we pulled up they garage was "full" but we could pay $15 to valet. Fine so we did that. When we went to get our car from valet it took 20 minutes even though the garage was connected to the hotel. When we asked the manager what was taking so long she informed us that the Fairmont doesn't own the garage and that the valet complay was contracted out and not actually a part of the fairmont company. Well guess what fairmont pittsburgh you need to do some major rethinking of what you are doing in pittsburgh and make your ballroom actually look like a ballroom. I will not be back to the fairmont pittsburgh ever again. I will be surprised if this hotel last another year.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Bridget,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience when you joined us for an event.

I have shared your parking concerns with our Valet parking Manager to investigate and follow-up with. I certainly understand your frustration with the fact that we only had Valet Parking available.

Please contact me at the Hotel so that I can get full details and investigate this matter.

Jon Mathews
Director of Operations
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

From the moment of our arrival, the staff was friendly and helpful. The concierge we dealt with had an infectious enthusiasm for her city, although she was a bit challenged with giving directions. She steered us to one restaurant for a meal that was one of the most memorable we have had when travelling.

Filtered water in glass bottles is provided at the bedside, a nice touch. The fitness facility was incredibly well-equipped and largely empty.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairmont Pittsburgh? Share your experiences!