“Very Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Pittsburgh

Save Saved
You added Fairmont Pittsburgh to your Saves list
Fairmont Pittsburgh
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   510 Market Street, at Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #3 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed here the 1st week of December 2012. My stay was very pleasant. I was warmly greeted at the check in and that process was very quick and efficient. My room was on the 21st floor and had a great view of the city and even PNC Park.

I did order room service and in the morning it arrived within the time that I had requested it and in the evenings it arrived to my room much quicker than they promised! Which is a very nice and refreshing change!

Housekeeping was absolutely amazing. Everyday I came back and my room was refreshed and everything was perfect.

The front desk employees were not as out going as when I checked in though. I was walking through the lobby and made eye contact with an employee behind the counter and he looked at me and looked away. I wish this just happened one time but it happened often and it seemed to be more of the guys that did it.

Andy's is great for an after work cocktail and the bartenders are very friendly, even when they're busy.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have AMAZING views
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Having stayed in 2 other places in Pittsburgh, this is clearly the best -- from the rooms to the first class gym (with state-of-the-art cardio including Expresso bikes, rowers, treadmills, etc...).

If I had one complaint, it would be the service.... from the lack of attentiveness of the staff at the hotel bar (Andy's)... to the doormen sometimes being distracted from helping with the door/cabs... to the time for room service to arrive.... to the right newspaper not delivered (as a President's member at Fairmont)

So, if you were expecting Ritz-Carlton level service for the price (which is typically high), you'll be disappointed. But if you have the right mindset, you will appreciate this as the best in town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your experience with us. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed our health club and guestroom accommodations but was sorry to hear your comments regarding service. We pride ourselves on providing outstanding service during every interaction with our guests, and I apologize that you did not experience this during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back so that you can experience true Fairmont Pittsburgh service.

Jean-Francois Lincourt
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Amazing rooms with great views. Very spacious with a modern gym. This hotel is also great for food lovers as their restaurant is fantastic! I've stayed in three hotels in Pittsburgh and is still definitely my favorite.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed here two years ago and just had the pleasure of staying in the Pittsburgh Fairmont. The property is still the best hotel in Pittsburgh by a long shot.

PROS:

Rooms - the rooms are modern, comfortable and up to date. Great bed and nice bathrooms with separate tub/shower. I do wish the door to the bathroom sealed off the bathroom and there was an exhaust fan. I like having a keurig coffee machine and the refillable water jugs too. Really nice rooms.

Valets - the guys working the valet stand are excellent. Friendly and quick to serve. We used them for parking and getting a cab. Couldn't be nicer.

Room Service - we did breakfast twice via Room Service and it was consistently excellent. I like that you don't have to sign for the bill - it's just included and no pressure for additional gratuity.

Spa/Gym. - one of the best hotel gyms of ANY property (it's shared with the residents who live in the condo portion of the building.) We also booked massages with a therapist named Dylan who was there two years ago when I visited. Absolutely excellent and experienced therapist.

CONS
Lobby drink service - the only bad thing was the level of service in the lobby area. We were there on a Saturday night and it was busy. There was a great jazz band and singer there and the crowd was having a good time. The problem was the wait staff working the area outside of the bar (The bar folks were very good). Our experience was they could have cared less about anyone - even after the crowd left the waitress working could not have been less interested in helping us with a drink or ordering some food, etc. Really surprising considering how the rest of the staff works. The other waitress couldn't wait to leave. Maybe they were having a bad night.

All in all - I highly recommend the Fairmont Pittsburgh. This is not like most other Fairmont Hotels - it's modern contemporary in style in a beautiful new glass and steel building with very good service and great rooms.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the river and PPG place. All rooms have decent views from what I can tell - th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Just returned from a special family weekend getaway at the Pittsburgh Fairmont. This was a special birthday/95-year old Grandmother weekend and Tom the Front Desk Manager single-handedly ruined our entire weekend with his lying and deceitful ways. We were originally offered by Carey an upgrade for "a small extra cost" to a suite only to be told by Tom, who was lurking close by and listening to everything that was being said as I was checking in, that those rooms were the last to be cleaned and probably wouldn't be available until 10 PM that night! I was checking in at 4:30 PM! What hotel...especially a hotel such as a Fairmont!....doesn't have their rooms cleaned at 4:30 in the afternoon??? This was obviously a lie and Tom continued to create lies through the check-in process. First we were being told we would be on the "top floor" due to our special family event (this hotel is a hotel within an office buidling...the top floor of the hotel IS NOT the top floor of the building...their are many more floors with offices above the hotel floors) and then all of a sudden I was handed room keys for the 19th floor by Tom. What happened to the 23rd floor "Top Floor", Tom???

This is so unfortunate as this could have been a lovely family weekend getaway. Instead, Tom the Front Desk Manager and his lies created a sense of animosity the entire weekend even though he tried to undo his failures by offering my mother some lame chocolate sweets in her room as a birthday gesture.

After this experience, Fairmont will NEVER be a hotel to the par of a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton and failed in every possible way of taking care of the customer.

I have no clue what would be better in Pittsburgh....but I'll certainly be searching for a better option for the next family get-together.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
FairmontPittsburgh, Manager at Fairmont Pittsburgh, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Mr. Clark,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very sorry to learn that your weekend was not an enjoyable one. Your experience is certainly not in keeping with the level of service that we strive to provide to guests. I am available to speak with you directly and investigate this issue further should you desire. Please also know that our guestrooms are located on the top section of the building on floors 14-23. Once again, we are sorry to hear of your negative experience.

Jean-Francois Lincourt,
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel is well placed in the heart of Pittsburgh. Restaurants are nearby and Point Park and the River Walk are easily accessible. As a member of the President's Club, staff always take care to be attentive. I was concerned about what appeared to be a camera above the entrance to the restroom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The front office manager at this hotel exemplifies "attention to service". After discovering a misunderstanding on a folio from a recent stay, I emailed the concierge and received an immediate response from the front office manager both by phone and email. Commendable in a day and age where good service is hard to find!
The gentleman was knowledgeable and professional, taking time to listen to my concern and without any runaround resolved my issue quickly.
THere are MANY good reasons to stay at the Fairmont Pittsburgh - here is yet another on that list to make this your "home away from home".

Room Tip: Have yet to have a "bad" room at this facility.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased to learn that our front office manager was able to resolve your billing issue efficiently and leave you with a positive impression of Fairmont Pittsburgh. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Jean-Francois Lincourt
Director of Operations

Been to Fairmont Pittsburgh? Share your experiences!