“Great Holiday Option” 4 of 5 stars

Description: On the North Shore
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Holiday Option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our family of 6, with very different tastes, dined at the Grand View Buffet on Christmas and found everything anyone could possibly want in a buffet. The price was just $22.00/person all day-- extremely reasonable for the variety they offered. Especially when you consider that the Hotels around town were charging $45-$75/person on Christmas for half the items on hand here. The individual serving stations were well-attended by the staff so that it didn't get messy or dirty as the day went by. Waitstaff was attentive, taking away used dishes and refilling glasses promptly, as well as being quite pleasant and helpful by answering questions and kindly reflecting the holiday spirit. The view is, of course, spectacular-- albeit a little gray at this time of year.

There was a 2-sided Soup and Salad Bar with prepared salads, dozens of fresh items, breads and 2 different soups on hand. Entrees vary according to the cuisine (Italian, Asian, American), and I admit that some of it does seem a little wierd on Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, but-- hey-- one of our party was actually glad to see the Pizza, and ate 3 slices! The offerings at the Carving Station were impressive: Roasted Turkey, Ham and tender, juicy Prime Rib. Other traditional American choices were Chicken, Steak, Ribs, Stuffing, Brunswick Stew (excellent), variety of Seafood (including King Crab Legs), and all sorts of delicious side dishes (4 different kinds of potatoes-- loved the Mashed!, Macaroni and Cheese, Wild Rice, Stroganoff & Noodles, Asparagus, Mixed Steamed Squash, etc.) I thought all of the food was really tasty, with the singular exception of the marinara sauce on the gnocchi, which was a tad bland, but roughly what you expect from Pittsburgh "Italian" restaurants.

Desserts were simply fabulous. There must have been 20-25 different options, many in tiny little cups allowing for just a taste of this-and-that. The Eggnog Mousse was wonderful, and so was the Mango Gelato and Pomegranate Cupcakes. There were delicate creme filled ladyfingers and cream puffs, tempting individual cheesecakes and chocolate pecan pies. We must have gone back 4 or 5 times, filled up a plate with these pretty, dainty samples, and brought them back to the table to share.

Soft drinks and hot beverages are included in the basic charge (which is less at lunch when not a holiday), but there is a full Bar which is pay-as-you-go, and adds to the festivities at reasonable prices.

It's nice that you can park here for free, and then spend a leisurely couple of hours just visiting with your family, and enjoying a delightful and festive meal on a holiday. While someone waits in line, you can look out the window at the view, or even stroll along the river if they are really busy. Note that Grand View Buffet does not take reservations, even for special occasions. When you have had enough of each others company, and are satisfied (meaning "stuffed"), you just get up, hug your family, go back to your car, and head on home to a nice, clean kitchen. Couldn't be easier or more enjoyable.

Only "Con" for me is the smokey 1st floor of the Casino, which cannot be avoided. When you get on the elevator in the garage, hit the Casino Level button, then just hold your nose, and head for the escalators on the riverside of the building. Grand View Buffet is on the 2nd floor. One thing I want to stress is that we sat along the inside wall of the restaurant, near the open entrance-- and I was prepared to complain about the smoke if necessary-- but no one could smell the stale air from the 1st level, even in this vulnerable section of the restaurant.

I have eaten here several times before, usually when the Wheelhouse Cafe downstairs had a 2 hour wait, and I have found that the food and service are about the same no matter when I go. It is not a great restaurant, but it is far from a dump, and on a holiday-- when it is really hard to find anyplace open-- this place is a really welcome option. Of course, on Christmas there were a few special decorative touches, but I think it's always a pretty decent value. Give the Grand View Buffet a try.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Oakmont, Pennsylvania
“New Years Day Brunch Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I went here for the New Years's Day brunch. The food was average. We have been here many times since they first open. Our thoughts are that the food has gone down hill since they first opened. Sometimes the quality is not there and food is not very good at all. This time the food was good and we were impressed. If your a players club member they give you a 2 dollar discount. Just be aware that the food here is sometimes hit or miss. For brunch they serve you bloody marys and champange and the champange(sp?) is not very good but if your still drunk from the night before you might not even notice.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good during specials”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My father and I ate here for the 2 for 1 deal in January. He is usually skeptical of buffets, but he ended up liking this and would return. I also enjoyed it. For the 2 for 1 price, it is well worth it. I'm not sure I would come if there wasn't a special.

As you enter, you walk up to a cashier and pay for your meal. If it is dinner, they will escort you to a table. I think during lunch you can sit wherever you want, but they may have changed that.

As for the food, there are several stations, and I will review each of those that I tried.

The American station is the best. The best part of the buffet was the hand-sliced prime rib. They also slice turkey and ham for your plate. Other items at this station include grilled chicken and vegetables, stuffing, other sides, wings, cornbread, etc. I would grab some turkey and prime rib here. The other items were a little bland.

The Asian station had sushi, orange chicken, egg rolls, pot stickers, etc. Again, a little bland here. When the food is sitting out it gets a little soggy, but that's what you need to expect at a buffet.

I didn't try the Mongolian station, but I think they do made to order stir-fry with chicken, pork, scallops, or shrimp. I might try this next time.

The italian station has pastas, pizza, polenta, garlic bread, and calzones. I didn't particularly enjoy the pasta. The pasta itself is overcooked. But they do have clam sauce, which is one of my favorites. The pizza is okay. It's not crisp at all and a little bland.

For dessert, there are a variety of pastries and cupcakes, gelato, etc. I would highly recommend the creme brule. That was certainly the best.

The salad bar is also excellent.

Overall, I think for the 2 for 1 price, this buffet is worth it. I don't think I would pay 20plus for this, but try to find times to go that have specials, and it's well worth it. The best is the prime rib, salad bar, and the dessert. Our server regularly grabbed used plates from our table and refilled drinks. The buffet is also clean. It's better than a family buffet because there are no kids and the workers generally keep things clean.

Another negative is that you have to walk through the smokey casino to get to this. I would like it if they had a separate entrance. The smoking section of the casino is near the escalators that go up to the grand view. The view is also great. It's nice in the summer when you can sit outside.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh
“xmas dinner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

food was terrible no variety . poor desert selections and very overpriced.my husband almost choked on the salmon.. poor service period this will be our last visit for christmas dinner.

Visited December 2012
Buffalo NY
“Great Selection of Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Good food and the view was an added perk. The service was great. The buffet is well set up so that people aren't bumping into each other with their plates. The desserts were heavenly!

Visited September 2011