“Great hosts!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inn on the Mexican War Streets (R. H. Boggs House)

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pittsburgh
Inn on the Mexican War Streets (R. H. Boggs House)
You added Inn on the Mexican War Streets (R. H. Boggs House) to your Saves list
604 W North Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Pittsburgh B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Great hosts!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I had a beautiful, family wedding with just 12 people at the Inn. Jeff and Karl were great about allowing us to use the space as we wanted, helping just enough, but giving us the liberty to enjoy our special evening there. The Inn's decor is absolutely gorgeous- great for photos! We stayed in Mr. Bogg's room, which has a great view of the Pittsburgh skyline. The room was very large (enough for everyone to get ready in one room), stylish, comfortable, and clean. Breakfast was not a big to-do, but that allowed us the chance to wake up on our own without worrying about being "late" to eat. Karl and Jeff are very friendly and accommodating. I definitely recommend the Inn on the Mexican War Streets to anyone visiting Pittsburgh or looking for a little get away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We travel to Pittsburgh at least once every other month for work and pleasure and this has been our favorite place for over 4 years. We have stayed in every room and have never had a bad visit. Karl and Jeff painstakingly refurbished this mansion with their own hands. They would give you the shirt off their back in order for you to be comfortable in your stay here.

It's a shame that the couple from California felt it necessary to write such a bias review. Some people can't see past their own neediness and demanding personalities and it becomes impossible to please them. Sometimes things like internet access can go down and, although inconvenient, it hardly warrants such harsh criticism. It is my personal opinion that this couple unfairly rated this Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Boggs Mansion (now called the Inn on the Mexican War Streets) was grand enough, and tastefully decorated. We could have lived with the cold cookies, popcorn and cheap candies put out for snack; or even, the lack of basic room service. Perhaps we should have felt “warned” the first evening when we were escorted to our room and told that we could put out the “Maid, please service the room” sign, but that we shouldn’t count on anything happening?? Perhaps we should have been “warned” when the innkeeper manically scribbled all over a map while “explaining” what to see and how to get around in that neighborhood? No doubt, we should have been more alert to what we were being charged up front for our 5 night reservation, because the innkeeper wildly disclaimed use of a calculator and insisted on doing the sums by hand with a pencil and paper. As a result, we were immediately overcharged by $112 from the amount we had agreed to in writing several months before. All of this was not what we expected, and as trusting “guests” who wanted to have an enjoyable time, we ignored the “issues” and let the eccentricities slide that first night.

As others have written in their reviews, the breakfast is a self-serve affair which is your basic budget hotel big-box store fare, with the exception of some yogurt, hard-boiled eggs and a bowl of aging frozen mixed fruit. All of this was counter indicated by anything we’ve experienced in Bed and Breakfast establishments in the past, but we were trying to have a good time and not make a fuss. However, my husband and I both work from our computers when we are traveling, and I had specifically asked well in advance about wifi and internet connection before I made our reservation to stay for 5 nights at the Inn. I had been assured that there was wifi and that it was free of charge. Needless to say, we were taken aback the first night of our stay when it took us a long time to connect to the internet, and only when we figured out that we had to use a very old connection protocol. When consulted, the innkeeper claimed he personally didn’t have much use for the internet and was fairly indifferent to our requests for a decent internet connection. On the second night, when we returned to our unserviced room, we discovered that there was no internet connection at all. I went in search of Karl, the innkeeper, to help us, but he was nowhere to be found. After struggling with the problem for quite a while, we gave up.

The next morning, while I was fetching our coffee and pastries from the breakfast area, Karl appeared. I very politely told him the situation with the internet and asked if he would call the internet service provider to find out why there was no internet service to the house. At first, Karl simply seemed indifferent and told me that our room could always get internet. About two minutes later, out of the clear blue, he was screaming at me from the stair landing that I “didn’t know what it’s like to work for a living because I led a privileged life, could do anything I wanted, and had never worked a day in my life.” I stood in shock with the creamer in my hand over the Folgers! Never in my life have I encountered such outrageous, presumptive insults; and certainly not from the host of a hotel to whom I’d paid good money to provide reasonable services and a comfortable time. My husband witnessed this scene from the top of the stairs. When I returned, quit shaken, to our room, we discussed the situation and agreed that we should leave. After packing our traveling gear, my husband went in search of the innkeeper to explain that we would be leaving due to his intolerable behavior, and to request a refund for the three nights remaining. After several minutes of calling all over the house for him, Karl finally crept out of a downstairs door. My husband made his requests, and within seconds we both witnessed him fly into an insane rage once again which included him screaming nonsense which included insults of both of us and our home state, slamming doors multiple times, and then reopening the doors in order to follow us around while screaming at us. He only barely managed to come up with a refund slip, although it was for the wrong amount and was not processed correctly because of the faulty internet connection. This whole scene and situation wasted many hours of a day of our long-anticipated vacation in Pittsburgh, but we were both happy to get away from so much insult and outrage. We certainly would never recommend that anyone stay at the Inn on the Mexican War Streets.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mrs. Boggs room which was lovely enough...IF you don't mind paying for a Bed an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Indiana, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Five couples stayed for just one night, wished it was many more. Walked to great restaurants and downtown. Park and National Aviary right across the street. Karl (with a K!) and Jeff were the perfect hosts. A must stay when in Pittsburgh. We will be back! Exceptional service.

Room Tip: The "Red Room" for a very romantic experience
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Milton, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We frequently stay at B & Bs and the Inn on the Mexican War Streets is definitely one of the very best! The name intrigued us and after speaking to Karl, we were hooked. We were in town for a 2 night stay for a Steeler game, and the Inn is very conveniently located close to Heinz Field, as well as other interesting venues. Karl and Jeff were very accomodating (no pun intended!) We had to switch rooms, and both rooms were warm, welcoming, and immaculate---Mrs. Boggs' Room and the Owners' Suite with its own kitchenette. The Boggs Mansion is an architectual wonder with its many nooks and crannies--and beautiful front porch where we relaxed with wine our first night. Although the area is busy, our rooms were very quiet. Breakfast was served in a grand but intimate room---with standard continental selections. We loved it so much we are looking for other reasons to return soon.

Room Tip: Oops! no pool or fitness center. I just accidentally clicked. Mr.Boggs and Mrs. Boggs rooms were...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed two nights in this lovely large mansion in an interesting historic setting in Pittsburgh across from a park. The first floor was lovingly restored some years ago and has a rather dark Victorian feel. The sweeping stair case in the front hall is notable. The room we were in was fine - a little dowdy and the bathroom a little hard to work around in terms of places to put things. Wish the shower was a little hotter and the walls a little thicker - but hey, this is an old mansion. All that was balanced by the wonderful setting for the breakfast - in a "bar" that feels like you're on a train. Nice selection of fruit, muffins and one can make waffles. Another plus is being able to go out the door walk to the Andy Warhol museum, the Mattress factory (modern art) and the baseball and football stadiums aren't far. While it was too cold, in the summer, I imagine it would be nice to sit in the comfortable chairs on the large front porch. And the inn owners are knowledgeable about the city and can direct you places. Pittsburgh seems to be an interesting, creative city that is worth several visits.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Be whisked away to a magical B&B in the heart of Pittsburgh. Karl and Jeff are amazing owners. Hospitality is number #1 here. The home is a masterpiece. The Boggs Mansion is classy and immaculately maintained. It is quaint and very laid back. However, you will feel like a king or queen in this architectual splendid castle. My husband and I came into town for a few days. We quite didn't know what to expect and the mansion knocked our socks off. It is convenient to Heinz Field, The National Aviary, Warhol Museum, Mattress Factory and Rivers Casino. In fact, for the Steelers game, we were able to walk a few blocks over and not pay the $40 parking fee.

The continental breakfast was top-notch with eggs, coffee, belgian waffles, fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, cereal, bagels, you name it. They also offer treats throughout the day like their homemade chocolate chip cookies.

This place is in the city so as to other reviewers saying it is "ghetto" is far from the truth. This place is safe and pure luxury. With gorgeous well-kept homes and amazing landscaping all around the North side of Pittsburgh. It is in the city folks. However, the neighborhood is safe and extremely clean. The folks are friendly. There is a gorgeous park across the street. The park contains old mature trees, beautiful landscaped areas, and lovely bridges that go over duck ponds.

You must put Klavon's ice cream on your list of things to see while you are visiting Pittsburgh. It was one of my favorite stops while staying at the B&B.

Jeff and Karl have put a ton of elbow grease into this mansion and it purely shows. I often travel. However, I do not post reviews. If something doesn't knock me out of the ballpark, I usually won't right anything. However, from the grounds to the room (we stayed in Emma's room) Not one detail was left unturned.

I fell in love with the Mexican War Street Inn and I fell in love with the city of Pittsburgh. You won't find a greater deal out there with such LUXURY.

The pricing is a steal.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Inn on the Mexican War Streets (R. H. Boggs House)? Share your experiences!