“AMAZING staff, shuttle convience worth the parking price” 5 of 5 stars

Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3315 Hamlet St., Pittsburgh, PA 15213   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Limited Time 15% Off AAA!
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Dublin, Ohio, United States
“AMAZING staff, shuttle convience worth the parking price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My friend and I came to Pittsburgh for a concert and we decided to stay an extra day to check out the city. We arrived in Pittsburgh around 11am on Saturday and our room was already ready for us. The front desk clerk was super friendly and gave us some great reccomendations on what to do during the day. The shuttle was there to pick us up on the hour. Our first driver's name was Tracy and she was very knowledgable. If youre visiting pittsburgh for the first time you can save your money on a bus tour because Tracy will tell you more than a professional tour would. Later in the day we got a bus driver named Paul. No request was too small so I never felt like a burden. I keep going on about the shuttle service, but it really did make our lives so much easier. The shuttle was able to take us to nearly every tourist destination and pickup was prompt I can't believe all of the gas money/parking fees/stress I saved.
The shuttle runs until 9pm and took us to the south side with all of the bars at night, however we would need to call a cab to bring us home. The hotel gave us the cab services number and the cab service was terrible. The terrible service for the cab was NOT the hotels fault at all. I just thought I'd mention the cab service incase readers of this review needed to get one. It took us 2 hours and 3 calls to the company to get a cab and even then the cab we approached wasnt the cab we ordered (he was just some independent guy who was super nice and felt sorry for us). Cab fare from south side to this hotel was $8.
The breakfast is a good spread, not anything to write home about but not disappointing. The hotel lobby is very clean and did I mention how wonderful the staff was! while waiting for the morning shuttle they offfered us free bottles of water and told us we were more than welcome to use the parking lot and shuttle for the rest of the afternoon.
My only complaint was that they were the worlds most uncomfortable beds, I actually woke up a few times in the night because they were so bad. My friend however didn't have a problem so maybe I just picked the wrong bed. But considering how wonderful the rest of my experience was at this hotel I don't really care about the bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Rachel P, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for taking time to place a review on Tripadvisor. Thank you for your kind words about our shuttle drivers! Tracy and Paul are definitely an asset to our team. The complimentary shuttle is an awesome amenity that we provide for our guests. The shuttle goes anywhere within three miles of the hotel, and hits many of the popular tourist spots in Pittsburgh. I do apologize about the comfort of your bed, and I will have our maintenance team address the issue. We always strive to create a great experience for our guests, and it is our sincere hope that you will stay with us the next time you are in Pittsburgh!

Best Regards,
Rachel Pontier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've stayed here twice and received clean, comfortable, quiet rooms both times. Staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel doesn't seem to be in a very good location from what we saw - and it didn't seem like you'd want to venture out and try to find anything either. But the hotel offers a free shuttle that runs on the hour and takes you anywhere within a three mile radius. Breakfast was good (except the orange juice during our stay). Free coffee and tea in the lobby at all times.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank You for staying here with us at the Hampton Inn University Center and taking the time to give us a wonderful review. Our hotel prides itself in delivering you a clean hotel and a friendly atmosphere where we believe in great customer service. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and I will check on the quality of the orange juice to make sure we are offering the best product possible. Our shuttle and its drivers are a vital amenity when staying here as its difficult to navigate through the city and this will save you time and money.
We Love Having You Here
Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This Oakland hotel is within walking distance to restaurants and a short shuttle/cab ride to downtown. The staff at this hotel are great, especially Tracy, the morning shuttle driver. All the city hotels were booked due to a convention, so I stayed at this Hampton Inn and took the shuttle into town each day of my stay. Tracy is so quintessentially mid-western -- funny, sunny, and helpful. She played tour guide to a full busload each morning with great charm and professionalism. Made the stay memorable! I would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank You so much for your review of the hotel and praising the amazing staff here and especially Traci. As a team we try our best to offer you a wonderful stay and the use of our shuttle service can ease your mobility throughout our city. Traci is the greatest tour guide the city has to offer and using our shuttle is well worth it considering it so expensive and difficult to find parking. We are glad that your next time in Pittsburgh that you will be staying at the Hampton Inn University Center.
Best Regards,
Homer City, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We attended a wedding this past Saturday and this was the host hotel for the wedding party and guests. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was great. Even though they have a small area for seating and a small area for breakfast food, it is very organized and the food selection and quality were awesome. The room was very clean and the bed and pillows were so comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jonathan C, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your time with us. We strive to make every guest feel valued and appreciated through the service that we offer. Thanks for your kind words, and we hope to see you again soon, your family at the Hampton.
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Several days before our stay in Pittsburgh, I received an email from PAT, a "personal assistant", from the Hampton Inn, who encouraged me to email at any time with questions or requests. As it happened, the drive took longer than we thought, so it would be too late to drop off one of our sons at my sister's house.
I emailed from the car to say we'd have one more person with us and requested a roll away bed for our room. Within minutes I had a reply, saying of course they'd have that ready for us and when did we think we'd arrive. The next reply said everything would be ready for our late arrival and to have a safe trip, not to hurry.
The staff at the hotel continued to be just as accommodating and kind for our entire stay. We were never charged for the roll away and the parking was free.
Also, the free breakfast was not only varied and plentiful, but the presentation was lovely. Much nicer than any other complimentary breakfast anywhere I've ever stayed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your time with us. We strive to make every guest feel valued and appreciated through the service that we offer. PAT is our 24 hr virtual concierge that we provide to our guest, and I’m glad that you found it helpful to you. Thanks for your kind words, and we hope to see you again soon, your family at the Hampton.
San Fernando, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

stayed here on a business trip. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The shuttle drivers were pleasant and always gave you an estimated time they could pick you up which I appreciated very much.
The front desk guy organised my taxi back to the airport for me and even organised for a breakfast "to-go" bag (muffin, cereal bar, apple, water) because I had to check out at 5am (before the breakfast buffet started). The hot breakfast every morning was also great and the tea, coffee or hot chocolate anytime of day was so convenient.
The room I stayed in was clean and I had more than enough towels. The only thing with this hotel is that the street view isn't the best. But this dissappeared as I difted away to sleep on a clean comfortable bed :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay. We are so pleased to know that you enjoyed your time with us. I’m elated to hear that you found our staff very friendly and accommodating. Our shuttle and our drivers are an amazing asset to our hotel and we are glad you found them to be pleasant during your stay. We appreciate your business and hope that you will stay with us, next time you are in our area. Sincerely your friends at the Hampton!
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night over Memorial Day weekend. The location is good and the service is excellent!! The hotel itself is pretty standard and perhaps does not live up to other Hamptons that we have stayed at. After searching the area for a reasonable hotel with the best rate we returned here after checking the price earlier. What made this hotel Amazing was the outstanding service we received from Ashley at the front desk and Tracey & Rick who drove the shuttles. Tracey was outstanding and took our little group out before the "scheduled shuttle time". Having never been to Pittsburgh she let us know where the best places to go was and was informative and funny during our trip. Rick was also great he picked us up from the "Strip" and took us to the Mt Washington or Station Square area. He was equally as friendly and picked us up and brought us back to the hotel when we were finished. The service of this hotel made everyone in our group have a great time and we would definitely return here next time we are in Pittsburgh. Oh and breakfast was yummy!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Happy Memorial Weekend to you and glad you spent it with the great team at the Hampton Inn University Center. Traci, Rick and Ashley love working here and promoting the great city of Pittsburgh. The shuttle is a great way to move about the city and its also like a tour guide of hot spots to experience. Our hot complimentary hot breakfast buffet is also a good way for you to complete your experience here and we cannot wait to see you again here at the Hampton Inn University Center Pittsburgh.
Best Regards
Jonathan Zottola

Been to Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center? Share your experiences!