“Great Safe Place To Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free $20 Slot Play!
Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Safe Place To Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

If I had 3 thumbs...I'd give them 3 Thumbs Up in a review! My favorite place to stay in Pittsburgh. Despite the COUPLE crummy looking buildings in the area (that seem to be an issue in some reviews)....I felt very safe to walk at night. ( I didn't come for the view...otherwise I may have gone to Paris!) The staff is beyond compare...I travel frequently & tend to get a bit picky about things like customer service. I have never had any complaints here.They ALL go above and beyond. The rooms are updated and clean, very comfortable. They have a great breakfast - I find cooked oatmeal a plus! There are plenty of places in walking distance. If walking isn't your thing - they offer a free shuttle service...with very friendly & helpful drivers. I highly recommend staying here when in Pittsburgh....you won't be sorry!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your comments on the cleanliness, breakfast, location, service, & staff. We are thrilled you consider us a great place to stay while in Pittsburgh. We hope to see you again soon.
Jonathan Zottola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Weston, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

In my experience, a Hampton is a Hampton is a Hampton. Clean, comfortable rooms in convenient locations. However, this one is on the shabby side, as is the neighborhood. The rooms are clean, but small and worn. Every room has a view of...abandoned buildings. While it's less than a mile to Pitt and Carnegie Mellon, the area is so iffy, I wouldn't want to walk it. Fortunately, they've got a fabulous shuttle service that leaves on the hour and comes right away when you call for pick-up. It operates from early morning until 11 pm. And the staff is SOOOO nice and friendly. They do their best to please. Give the rooms a facelift, and I'll give this Hampton 4 stars, despite the neighborhood.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are thrilled you found our staff wonderful. We apologize you did not think the views from the hotel were very pleasing. We have actually had many people say there are wonderful views from the top floors of the river and downtown. We appreciate your comments on your thoughts of our property and will use them as constructive criticism. Thank you once again for placing your review on Tripadvisor.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My daughter & I stayed here as it was close to CMU and we had tried Hampton Inns before and liked them- this particular group of staff were among the Best I have encountered as a seasoned travler- they simply had it together, and were really interested in you- unbelievable in the days we are living- I would highly recomend this Hampton for some one not needing the Flash and Neon lights of the High Ebd Hotels-but wanting a good value, clean rooms, ect. all due to the people- it is really about people anyway so when you are treated so well you dont forget it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Greetings,
WOW! Thank you for your wonderful words about our staff at the Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University Center. I could not be more pleased with hearing how you were treated while staying with us. Our company is 100% focused on guest satisfaction and I'm very happy to hear that we are practicing that here. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We hope to see you again soon.
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Pleasantly surprised by the experience at this hotel, since it is in a university setting. Wasn't expecting such a clean facility with such quiet rooms. Enjoyed our stay. May be a little pricey, but probably worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for placing a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are so happy you found your room clean & quiet and that you experienced a good stay with us. We hope you were able to take advantage of all our amenities such as our breakfast buffet, shuttle service, HSIA, & free 24 coffee & tea bar. We hope to see you again soon!
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My stay at the University Center Hampton Inn was perfect. I was cheerfully greeted by Jonathan Curry upon arrival. Tracy Fuchs the Shuttle Driver was very helpful with info where the shuttle could take me. Barb Williams in Breakfast was very pleasant and attentive to guest needs. I also had the pleasure to meet and converse with GM Jonathan Zottola who was very personable and professional.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel that you placed on Tripadvisor. We love to be our guests "home away from home" and we are thrilled our staff made our home your home while in Pittsburgh. We appreciate all your wonderful and personalized staff comments and will look forward to your next stay with us at our home. Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor.
Mooresville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I drive up from Mooresville,NC at least once every year for a Steelers game and have stayed in this hotel each time. The folks (staff) are very friendly, especially "Tracie" which drives the shuttle and is very helpful to us regarding the area.The rooms are clean and nice. I haven't missed a year visiting this area in 12 years. I have also brought my family up during certain occasions. I guess you can say that I'm probably your best customer. During those 12 years, I've never had a complaint regarding the rooms or comfort. Because of your nice friendly staff and room cleanliness, that is what keeps me coming back to this hotel. My last stay was December 30, 2012.. If nothing happens and the creek don't rise, I hope to see you guys in 2013. (Russ Clark)

Room Tip: Rooms are quite. I've stayed here several times in different rooms. Not a problem.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Greetings,
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I'm so happy you have been choosing us for years based on our hospitality and clean comfortable rooms. We love to hear comments such as this so we know we are providing the best service possible to our guests. I'm so proud to say that you have made us your home away from home over all the other choices out there. We will see you soon! Thank you once again for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.
Jamaica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is our third visit at the Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University Center. We experienced such genuine warmth, friendliness & professionalism on our first visit (12/2010) that we decided to make it an annual holiday tradition to stay here. Each year they have made us feel like "family". This year (12/2012) Rachel accommodated our early arrival.Tracy and Eric feel like old friends as our complimentary shuttle drivers. We've made new friends w/ Glen and Scott as shuttle drivers,too. Jonathan, Hanna and Steve were always courteous when we contacted the front desk and Barbara was a lovely hostess at the delicious breakfasts. We certainly are looking forward to our fourth visit 12/2013!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Greetings,
WOW! Thank you for making us part of your annual holiday tradition and choosing our hotel to be your home away from home. We are so happy to be part of your family for the holidays for now 3 years in a row and look forward to seeing you again next year. I'm thrilled to hear you received the kind of hospitality and service one would expect. Thank you for taking the time to place a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. See you next year!
Jonathan Zottola

Been to Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center? Share your experiences!