“Comfy room, great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Double Points!
Ranked #14 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
Fort Wayne, IN
“Comfy room, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on 7/24/12. Our reason for visiting was to attend Pirates games on the 24th and 25th. We had wanted to stay downtown, but we couldn't find anything in our price range, as many hotels were fully booked.

This hotel is located just east of downtown. Appeared to be in a decent neighborhood. Parking was on site and safe, though you had to pay $14 to park. Check in was very easy. Breakfast was very good the following morning.

We decided to take advantage of the hotel's shuttle to get to the ballgame the evening of the 24th. It was very easy - the shuttle leaves the hotel at the top of the hour and will drop you anywhere withing 3 miles. When you are ready to return, you just call the shuttle driver. The driver was very accommodating and delivered us to the foot of the Clemente Bridge. After the game, he was kept very busy by many guests who attended the game and others who were in other places. Although they say they only run the shuttle until 10 PM, we were impressed that the driver was doing his best to accommodate everybody and was obviously going to be working late that evening.

There were two reasons that we did not give this hotel a 5. One was the speed of the Internet - it was slow. We were on the 7th floor, so I don't know if that was part of the problem or not. The second was that our total bill was $197 for room (king non-smoking), parking and taxes, which seemed like a lot given the location.

Overall though, this was a good place to stay and we would consider staying there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to place a review of our hotel on tripadvisor. We are happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our shuttle service and that you enjoyed breakfast. I hope you had fun at the Pirates game. I apologize for the internet as we did have some issues when they were upgrading our system. I am happy to say that our issues have been resolved with the internet. and it is working fine now. We appreciate your comments and hope you will come back and see us again.

345 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed here for one night while visiting the University of Pittsburgh with my son. Nothing special, nothing really bad just your typical Hampton Inn. Not usually my first choice but in the city it was the best price. The check in was fine, although it's a small lobby and was very crowded and tough to maneuver with luggage. The front desk people were pleasant but when we asked about a good place for dinner they handed us a sheet of paper with restaurants on it, mostly chain restaurants and had no input what so ever. The beds were uncomfortable, we did not get a good nights sleep. The breakfast was horrible and jam packed with people trying to get breakfast in the smallest room you could imagine. I can't say we've ever had a great breakfast at a Hampton Inn but this was annoying and bad. I would pay more to stay somewhere else next time and if I did stay there I would go elsewhere for breakfast. We've stayed in Pittsburgh before and there are better places to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for placing your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are glad you stayed with us but understand your concerns and I am sorry about a crowded breakfast area and your comfort of the bed wasn't to your satisfaction. Please feel free to contact me at Hampton we are 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and stand by our policy. We always try and offer competitive rates along a great value Complimentary use of our shuttle 3 mile radius, full hot breakfast and Free High Speed Wireless throughout the hotel. Though I respect your choice we hope to see you again soon, thank you once again for taking the time to place your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The rooms are clean. The breakfasts are expansive. The location is handy. (The latter especially being the case for parents of CMU summer students, such as my husband and I.) However, the Internet has been a consistent and dismal disappointment for 6 days now. Despite advertising high speed internet, my speedtests have continually returned rates ranging from .02 to .18 mbps, which, translated, means they are barely providing dial-up speed, that pages takes an irritatingly long time to load, and streaming is simply out of the question. When I called the front desk to register my concern, the woman airily thanked me, but offered no apology or suggestions, nor did she offer to pass my feedback on to anyone higher up. Perhaps this feedback will be the kick in the pants this hotel needs to creep into the 21st century of it's University neighbors up the street, where my son has enjoyed up to 20 mbps in his dorm.

Room Tip: You have to ask for a room with a fridge, as last time we had one, but not this time.
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to place your review of our hotel on Trip advisor. We appreciate your positive comments about the hotel and understand your concerns with the less than adequate internet service. I apologize for the lack of internet support as we currently waiting for our Stay Connected program from At&t to be completely installed. We have invested an extremely large amount of money into this great complementary service and hope to have it completed by early August. Please feel free to contact me about your next stay as I assure you the internet will be much improved.

Best Regards,
Greenwich, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay at this property. I see from reading the other reviews that Jonathan Zottola (sp?) is the General Manager. He actually greeted us at the front desk and the positive attitude that comes through on his replies to TA reviews was very obvious. Jonathan's staff was uniformly friendly, our room was clean and fully functioning (outlets, spigots, TV, remote, etc.), and the hotel was very well-situated for our needs (drop-off at Carnegie Mellon)

The only negatives were the parking situation, which was not only limited but for which the hotel charged an additional $14 per night. While I realize this Hampton is in a city, I had never before been charged for parking by a Hampton (or similar limited-service hotel, for that matter). To make parking matters worse, on Saturday night when we returned after a movie (10 pm-ish), the lot was full, and we had to park across a narrow street from the hotel. No big deal, to be sure, and as soon as my wife brought the issue to the hotel staff's attention they said the parking charges would be removed from our bill. Unfortunately the bill slipped under our door the next morning still had the charges, but I am confident Jonathan's staff will remove them now that my wife reminded the front desk staff of the situation.

Only other small negative was the condition of some of the common spaces. The inside of the elevator doors, for example, were scratched up as though someone had tied to carve their name into them. For $199 / night - which is what we paid for the Saturday night portion of our stay - I would not have expected that (Friday night was $149, I believe).

Would be happy to stay here again, as I expect management will continually try to improve the property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for taking the time to place your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. I do remember speaking with you when you arrived. We appreciate your wonderful comments on our staff & your room along with pointing out what you were disappointed with. I apologize for the parking issues and you will receive a corrected invoice. We are aware that the elevators have some scratches and we will get it repaired. Unfortunately, we do have to charge for parking and we are actually one of the most reasonably priced parking rates in this area. With that being said, most Hampton Inns do not charge for parking so we understand your frustration with that. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you once again for placing your review on Tripadvisor.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Stayed here for one night for a Rugby tourney....had a great time! Pittsburgh was a lot of fun and the front desk staff was very helpful in helping us find a restaurant. The only eason we chose the hotel was we were traveling with our dog and it was the only one in the area that allowed dogs. More hotels should offer this amenity. Would definitely give this one 2 paws up!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for placing a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are so happy you brought your pet with you and that you were able to find a hotel that could accommodate pets. I hope you received a biscuit from our front desk for your pet also. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and gave us 2 paws up! We hope to see you again soon. Thank you once again for taking the time to place your review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here for a quick overnight to Pittsburgh for a concert. Front desk staff was very friendly and willing to meet our request for adjoining rooms even though the hotel was sold out and it required some rearranging or rooms. Rooms were clean, smelled great and very comfortable. I love Hampton's because of their very comfy bedding! Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Greetings,
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us while in town for a concert. I'm thrilled to hear our staff was very accommodating and you had a great night's sleep. Even though it was a quick stay, we hope you had time to enjoy our hot breakfast buffet & free shuttle along with that clean & comfortable room. We hope to see you again. Thank you for taking the time to place a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed here a couple of nights in May for a visit to the University. The hotel and service were both excellent, with all the usual friendly service and extras you expect from a Hampton Inn (free internet, gym, breakfast and 24 hour coffee). The hotel is a couple of miles out of town and so the free shuttle service is very welcome.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
jzottola, General Manager at Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Greetings,
Thank you for placing a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of our free hot breakfast buffet, free shuttle service, free HSIA & free coffee bar. We are about 2 miles from downtown Pittsburgh so that is within our shuttle range and are pleased you were able to use that service as well as visit the university. We hope you will come back & visit us again. Thank you once again for taking the time to place a review on Tripadvisor.
Jonathan Zottola

Been to Hampton Inn Pittsburgh - University Center? Share your experiences!