“They know the elevators are feeble” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #24 of 57 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“They know the elevators are feeble”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Sign posted near smelly, service elevator entrance "Alternative to lobby elevator." After nearly 20 minutes wait for public elevator, got a quick (if jerky and scary) ride to the lobby via the 'alternative.' emerged into a back warren, facing a wall painted with a wall painted with a sign pointing the way to the lobby. Through the luggage storage area, past the employees-only sign. I realized I needed something from my room, tried to reverse my path, only to be accosted by a burly security guard. He spoke my least-favorite, passive aggressive euphimism for "what-the-heck-are-you-doing," that is, "May I HELP you?" When I explained my intent to use the alternative elevator, he shook his head, hustled me to main, public elevator bank, and gruffly conceded that there was a broken elevator slowing things down. The carpets and furnishing need updates. Not what I expect for $350 per night. I stay in hotels every week, am a Hilton Diamond member, and this was my first stay in an effort to gain status with another chain. Never mind.

Stayed June 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I stayed here with some friends from out of town last weekend for the Kenny Chensey concert. We usually stay on the North Shore but, decided to stay a little ways away this year. Anyways, the hotel is nice. The lobby is comfortable. The staff were friendly. I messed my confirmation up and they corrected it, I didn't even book it through Westin's Website, so that was nice of them to do that for me. The room wasn't bad. We had a 2 double bed room on the 23rd floor. Nothing bad to say about the hotel. The elevator's were interesting. you touch the floor you want on a touchscreen and it tells you what elevator to get on. Neat feature. Other than that, just a typical hotel room. I would possibly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

we did enjoy our stay in this westin despite the fact that they do not have a special concierge level room for starwood preferred members. the elevator system is annoying as has been reported in previous reviews. the shuttle system is a bonus if you need to get around the city. it is located within walking distance to the pnc park for baseball.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Westin where I was attending a 4 day conference. I was at this location back in October 2014 (Planning the conference) and the hotel made some changes since I posted that review. Some are for the better (maybe), some are not so good for guests. More importantly I wanted to comment on the changes as well as the staff I encountered and hope this will be helpful to others.
First the changes: The lobby was been redone and there are now areas off the lobby where guests can use their own laptops to do work. What was a small business center has been located to the second floor behind the escalator. It is a PC that that can be used for printing boarding passes at no charge. The PC does have internet access but the price is $5.95 for 15 minutes (including both sign off and sign on usage). This is still a major drawback for the traveler or business person who does not bring a PC with them. There is NO place nearby to find free access (as a paying guest), Nearly every Westin or Sheraton (the Starwood chain) I have stayed with has a set of PCs that are available to guests by using the code.
I found this frustrating and spoke with a number of the staff about this. They said the property is “looking into it”. It would be a good decision.
The next change is the elevator system – which guests will need to take time to get used you. There are no “floor” buttons inside the elevator. There is an electronic key pad in the elevator alcove and you press the number of the floor you want and it “schedules” an elevator for you. BUT if your finger slips, you make easily choose a wrong floor. When the door of the elevator opens there is a list of the “scheduled” stops. At a few points during my stay I had to wait as much as 7 minutes for an elevator.
The third change is the main restaurant in the hotel. Until last year it was The Fish Market – a fairly pricey restaurant (also huge!). That was replaced by Bill’s Burgers – a national chain new to me. It is – I’m afraid – a large “pricey” burger place. The plain burger comes on a small roll and is $9.00. If you want cheese or toping, they are $1.00 each extra. If you want Fries they are $4.00 to $5.00 extra,. So it adds up. They have a HUGE beer list – priced fairly and wines that are priced on the high end. Except for a small dining area on the 2nd floor – open for breakfast – Bills is your only other option to eat in the hotel. (Except room service). Here’s the catch. Bills is not affiliated with the Westin. So you cannot put your tab on your hotel bill. Also, the Starwood chain has a “go green” campaign where they give you the option of not having daily maid service (if you choose that, they do not enter your room to clean, take out trash or provide new coffee supplies – though you can get the latter at the front desk). For choosing this option you a either 500 Starwood points OR $5.00 worth of food or beverages. But since – except for breakfast – there is no Westin food service – you can only use for Room Service. I usually decline the option – mostly have trash removed and coffee supplies delivered.

Okay, those are the changes. But the comfort of my room was a good as my stay in October. Bed comfortable, room temp adjustable and I like the funky square shower head.
Now to the staff here. They are great. When I had the issue with having to pay $6.00 day (or more) to retrieve my email as the sole PC on the second floor, Brittany at front desk was able to offer me a credit to offset that cost. She “made it happen” and, for this I’m grateful. (I do hope they change the system though).
Then there are the concierges. I raved about the weekend Concierge, Carol, when I last reviewed this hotel and I was looking forward to seeing her again. She gave me suggestions of things to see and do last time and I shared places I “discovered”. She was on vacation for a few days but was back on Saturday with her smiling face and warm personality. And, during the week, the “post” was held down by Bob (“You can say my name backwards or forwards”) He made me feel like an important guest and always called me by my name. The Westin is lucky to have both Bob and Carol as a greeter for guests.

I might add here that if you are coming for a conference or event in the banquet rooms, do not arrive without a sweater or jacket. nearly every room on the 2nd and 3rd floor was bordering on frigid.
I wanted to end by offering a tip to those single travelers who are flying in to Pittsburgh and staying at the Westin Convention Center. Don’t take a cab ($36 plus tip each way) or the Super Shuttle ($24. Each way). Take the Airport Xpress bus (Route 28X). It runs every 30 minutes, drops you off 1 ½ blocks from the Westin, takes 40-45 minutes (with only a few stops in a suburban shopping plaza) and costs just $3.75 each way (exact change required). And, I thought the scenery was great.
I’m not sure when I’ll get back to the Westin Pittsburgh but this was a pleasant stay and it is a perfect location to walk to restaurants, The Strip shopping district and the Point (historic park).

Room Tip: Get room not too far from the elevators - it can be a long walk.
Green Features: I like the fact that they offer to have you go green and reuse towels and sheets but, if you choose their "go green" option you will not have trash removed or coffee supplies replaced. And since the housekeeper will not go into your room you are encouraging a reduction in much needed jobs.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I thought that I wouldl have an extra nice stay at the Westin Pittsburgh because it was billed as the headquarter hotel for a conference I attended. I stayed there three nights. I arrived at the hotel about noon. My room was supposed to be ready by three o'clock. at 4:oo I was not in my room. The clerk finally called housekeeping and told them to do my room right now. Did I mention that I am 75 years old, physically challenged and walk with a cane? Management had install a new computerized elevator system Getting up and down on the elevator involved long waits and crowds. It was the system from Hell. To get to the convention center involved a long walk only to get to the end of the hall and find that there were only two elevators to get approximately 1500 guest into the convention center. The food was ok, but pricey. The service charge was quite high. My room was clean and the bed was restful. The amenities were limited. I required a refrigerator and had to wait for housekeeping to bring one. there is no microwave. I will probably stay at this hotel again, but I will be prepare with comfortable walking shoes, drinking water personal snacks. Maybe the remodeling will be finished.. The hotel was built in 1989.

Room Tip: If physically challenged request a room near the elevator
Green Features: Average guests could choose whether to have linen changed every day. initially there were only two towels in the bathroom. We were given more upon request.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Convenient to convention center. Nice hotel, but the new elevator system is the pits! We had to crush in like sardines if we were even able to get on the elevator. You have to input the floor you are going to on an ipad and then you are told which elevator to use - there are no buttons at all inside the elevator. Our room was also dusty. Soundproofing leaves a lot to be desired also - we could hear everything in hall and from ice machine.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We were in town for a tournament at the Convention Center,which is directly across the street, so the location couldn't have been better. It was also walking distance to the Pirates game and Point State Park where the three rivers meet (nice walk on a beautiful day). The rooms were very clean and the water pressure in the shower was great. All workers were very friendly. We ate at both restaurants in the hotel multiple times during our 4-day stay and enjoyed the food and drinks immensely. The workout facility was fantastic and we used it every day.

The major downside was the elevators in the hotel. You can find yourself waiting for upwards of 10 minutes for an elevator to arrive sometimes. One day I gave up and took the stairs (luckily I was on the 4th floor working out) because it was taking so long, which were not easy to find. Our room was also right next to the bank or elevators. Certain elevators make noise as they are passing the floor, and we heard it every day/night.

Would we stay there again? Probably, if we had another tournament at the convention center. I would just make sure we didn't get a room right next to the elevators.

Room Tip: Don't take a room next to elevators (our room ended w/ 01). Also, the lower the floor, the bette...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Been to The Westin Convention Center Pittsburgh? Share your experiences!