“Hotel with character near downtown Pittsburgh” 4 of 5 stars

The Priory Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   614 Pressley St, Pittsburgh, PA 15212   |
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Virginia, USA
“Hotel with character near downtown Pittsburgh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Priory is a lovely hotel which was converted from a priory within a few blocks of downtown Pittsburgh. It is not for everyone; if you prefer modern hotels, it would probably not be for you. There are beautiful details within the hotel that you would never see in a new building and the negatives I would have to say are primarily small things.

A major positive to this hotel is the wonderful staff. Every encounter with them was totally positive and incredibly caring about my comfort. One of the front desk associates went out of her way to make me a cup of coffee in the middle of the afternoon with their Kuerig machine in the lounge area.

The shuttle service was fantastic and took me various places in the downtown area. The neighborhood near the hotel is a bit transitional, but I never felt in danger, and with the shuttle, never had to walk to and from my car at night.

The small items which could be easily fixed with more attention to maintenance. For example: the water fountain in the workout room was empty, so I mentioned that to the front desk and it was full by the next morning, but the spigot was not functioning. In addition, the carpet in my room was stained and the bed was okay, but not "excellent," however, I had chosen one of the smaller, cheaper rooms, so I'm sure the other rooms might have been more recently renovated. They were some annoyances with noise (cleaning and repairs) during the day, which normally wouldn't have bothered me, since I'm not usually in a hotel room during the day, but my schedule was different during that trip.

The breakfast was simple but good and the only negative was the pastries looked store bought. I loved the fact that there was an old looking radio playing NPR and not a dozen TV monitors in the breakfast area.

I could see that you could easily fall in love with this hotel and never want to stay anywhere else when in Pittsburgh!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Oak Park, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Interesting architecture, nicely redone as a hotel. Clean and comfortable. Location just so so, area is a little run down. Not very pleasant for walking around. Breakfast was not very good. Staff was ok but a little rushed and impersonal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Holbrook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed at the Priory on two recent trips of 10 days each to Pittsburgh for family business. The reasonable rates is what attracted me to my first stay, and the more than pleasant experience made me look forward to return for the second time. The location is convenient to the highway, the rooms are very clean, the bed comfortable and a good night's sleep is almost guaranteed. The Hotel staff is excellent, going above and beyond their routines to insure your stay is comfortable and enjoyable. From the front desk, to the concierge, to the bartenders, cooks and maintenance personnel, any concern I brought to their attention was handled in a professional, friendly and timely manner. In addition to their outstanding work performance, they are very knowledgeable and eager to help with questions about the local area, dining, attractions and directions to these places. I will definitely be coming back to The Priory on my next trip to Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: King rooms are the most comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Greensburg, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Spent two separate nights at the Priory on a recent holiday weekend. The first night, I shared the large suite with my sister and the second was spent in a king room. Both experiences were excellent. The suite was huge and great value for the money. Although the king room was small, it was more than adequate. Both locations were very quiet and comfortable and clean. The building is just wonderful and they've done a great job of updating the property while keeping its historic character. Staff are friendly and helpful - the shuttle is very convenient. This was the only hotel in Pittsburgh I could find with free parking. The breakfast features pastries from the Priory's own bakery (around the corner - don't miss it) and we received a comp copy of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, which was a nice touch. I will definitely recommend the Priory to friends visiting Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: I was nervous to get a room on the main floor, off the lobby, but it was just as quiet as the one I...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I spent a night here after seeing a play and enjoyed everything about my stay at the Priory. The staff were welcoming, the parking was free, and the relatively small room was very clean and comfortable. The bed had plenty of pillows and the walls were practically sound-proof. The best part of this hotel was the architecture. It's a gorgeous former monastery with all sorts of strange turns and staircases. The only downside was that it's in a somewhat sketchy area, but not so bad that you can't walk alone at night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I grew up in Pittsburgh and now live in Chicago so I have watched the city I used to call home become even more exciting and interesting to visit as the years go by. On my most recent visit, I stayed at The Priory--and I only wish I had been been smart enough to stay at this incredibly stylish, elegant, wonderful gem of a hotel years ago. This former monastery has been transformed into a boutique hotel on the north side of the city, close to downtown and a few blocks away from the Warhol Museum. I felt as if I was staying in a deluxe European hotel, complete with a tiny bar where I enjoyed a really good glass of wine and a salad. Breakfast in the refectory reminded me of Amsterdam and Prague--complete with meats, cheeses, fruits and fabulous coffee. The rooms are elegant, comfortable and quiet--and mine had a wonderful view of the courtyard. I would urge travellers not to be put off by the transitional neighborhood where The Priory is located. It is quite safe and the hotel has a van that will take you, and then pick you up, to local restaurants or downtown theaters. I am so proud to be able to recommend this hotel in my former hometown. For anyone who wants to stay at a European boutique hotel rather than a chain, please book a room here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor have a great view of the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Cheektowaga, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel is quaint and and staff is very friendly. I stayed in a King room and the bed was extremely comfortable, I slept like a rock. The room itself was spacious and very clean. Easy access to and from the highway. The Priory also offers a complementary shuttle service, which I used, and was thankful they had it. The breakfast was delicious and the breakfast attendant was friendly and accomodating. I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Priory Hotel? Share your experiences!