“Nice rooms, crazy parking policy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bigelow Square, Pittsburgh, PA 15219   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Syracuse, New York
“Nice rooms, crazy parking policy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I just returned from two nights at this hotel for work. I arrived on Monday and departed Wednesday. I was there for a conference at another property. The conference concluded at 4 pm. The parking policy is if you are after 4 pm you have to pay $11. I arrived at 4:08 and had to pay an extra $11 on top of the $40 fees for Monday and Tuesday parking.
The rooms are nice but the one I was in didn't have a refrigerator.
Plenty of food options within walking distance but not other attractions.

752 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was attending a concert in the city & stayed at the Doubletree for the convenient location. What a surprise to find that not only was it convenient but had everything one needed to have a wonderful stay. I would have to stay that the staff was extremely accommodating & friendly. I cant think of anything that needs to be improved on. A special thank you goes out to Ellenor in Housekeeping. I left something behind in the room & she mailed it to me promptly & was so kind & understanding. I really cant thank her enough. The staff as a whole really adds to the whole experience of enjoying the hotel & Pittsburgh. Do not hesitate for a moment to stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed here for just one night, but it was a good experience. I was greeted by a friendly parking attendant, given very clear directions on how to find the reception, greeted at reception very nicely and even with a nice warm cookie!
The room itself was quite spacious and very clean. I found the internet (which was free!) worked quite well, and overall was a nice place. I had a bit of a view of Pittsburgh which, again, was surprisingly nice.
I will say that the only drawback was slightly expensive parking (I believe it was $22), but it was valet, after all, and also in a downtown big city so to be expected.
Location was definitely quite good, and overall it was a pleasant experience for me!

Green Features: I noticed that there were several options for recycling paper and reusing towels, etc. This was also the first hotel in North America that I've stayed where you need to put your key card in the reader to keep lights/power on.
Coevorden, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in the DT Pittsburgh for only one night when driving to NYC. Weather was horrible, so we were lucky to arrive at the Hotel and finding a room available, we had no reservation.
After a quick check-in we arrived at our room, that appeared to be a "suite" with a queen bed, but it was OK, at least large enough with 2 rooms.
Bathroom was small and with only a bath not what you expect in a suite.
Going down to the bar for a drink, we were surprised by the grumpy barman. He served us because he had to, but it looked like someone forced him at gunpoint to do his job. We ordered a fresh regular coffee and a double espresso and were served a can of brown water. After complaining he came back with a double espresso and a cup of brown water, surely not a fresh brewn coffee.
After that we went for diner, which was well, again not what we expected. The Filet still had grease and vanes in it. The stella and the cocktail were OK.
Next morning we went for breakfast and were send back to the check-in desk to get a breakfast voucher by a waitress that got out of bed too early or did not sleep at all. 2 things wrong: no voucher given at check-in and sending a diamond HH member arround in the hotel as a schoolboy to get his voucher. Unbelievable, but I was not in the mood for discussions on the early morning.
When we went to the buffet, both my wife and me together with another geust, almost fell over because of the greasy floor. The whole breakfast area looked like a kitchen floor after a busy diner night, dangerous. Also the tops were all greassy. Unbelievable and unexceptable that this happens in a hotel of this standard. We complained about the situations both at the breakfast personel and later at check out. No one apologized, the breakfast staff said they did not feel the slippery floor.
For me it is clear, although I will not get the opportunity for a night in Pittsburgh very soon again, but if it happens, I will stay away from the Double Tree hotel for sure. Prefer to stay in a hotel that does not give me points, but is gentle, clean and professional, my diamond status was of no help anyway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tucson AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We chose the Doubletree because it was located in downtown Pittsburgh close to events that we were attending. Kaitlyn at the front desk was very professional and wonderful at check-in. We received the Doubletree hot cookie welcome. Always a nice touch. This hotel has two shuttles that operate on a first come basis that take guests to downtown area attractions including Station Square & the strip district. We used the shuttle several times to get to events we were attending & walked back. This system worked well. The Doubletree is located next to two pretty parks with fountains. There is a Macy's within walking distance to the hotel and a 7-Eleven next door. The hotel restaurant Bigelow Grille has a nice atmosphere, indoor & outdoor dining areas and bar area. We had breakfast & dinner there. For dinner, I chose the chicken & my husband ordered scallops. Ingredients are local, fresh & food delicious. This is not your typical hotel restaurant. The quality of the food at dinner was excellent. Kiera provided great service. Breakfast in the dining room is a la carte or buffet. Seems the buffet features the same selection of hot/cold items daily. Our suite was spacious & very quiet on the 10th floor. We are very glad we chose this hotel rather than the one closest to our events because we heard the windows of the other hotel were shaking from the music! This location was perfect and very convenient for us to get to everything we needed to. We had several service issues during our stay but Front Office Manager Stephanie listened to our concerns, was caring & responsive. Thank you Stephanie. Overall, we felt this was a great stay, nice property & would 100% stay here again when returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Herzlia, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Jessica from the front desk was very helpful and nice!
The hotel has a great location and the parking is a bit pricy but convenient. The room was large and clean.
The cookies were tasty as always. Had a great stay and will probably visit again.
Definitely recommended.

Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is one of the better Doubletree Hotels; the associates were all extremely professional and supportive. They have a well equipped business center and their wireless works very well throughout the property. The breakfast is great!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown? Share your experiences!