Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
GreenLeadersGold level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great Views.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a trip to visit colleges in the area. It is a very nice hotel, easy to find, staff was very pleasant and helpful, room was clean and quiet. We had a room that had great views looking out over the city. We walked about 10-15 minutes to Point State Park and that was beautiful. You could walk from this hotel to the football, baseball or hockey venues, all are fairly close if you are a walker. We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food was delicious, although we wished we shared our meals as they were really filling. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Wish we would have had more time here because Pittsburgh is a great city!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher level with a good view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We came to see the Pittsburgh Penguins play and the location couldn't have been better...just a short walk to the Consol Energy Center. The service was excellent and the staff was very helpful and inviting. They also offer a shuttle if you want to explore the city. Valet is very reasonable. You won't be disappointed in this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Front desk staff was super helpful. We found the shuttle service to the 2 mile radius was a great bonus. Room was nice. No frig (which was surprising for such a nice place). Cookies were excellent as well as the convenient 7-11 which was connected to the hotel. Not impressed with the restaurant in the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Fairfax, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I'm a huge fan of Hilton hotels and I'm also a Hilton Timeshare owner so it pains me to write this. We stayed at the Doubletree on Bigelow square to visit our niece who is at Duquesne. The location could not be better, it's practically on the campus. It's also a block away from the Consol Energy Center. The staff were very friendly and helpful and check in was a breeze complete with the wonderful warm cookies.
My problems are with the rooms and furnishings. I believe the hotel used to be an apartment house and it must have been a loud one. You could hear the cleaning staff talking to each other in the hallways clearly from the back bedroom. The sitting area is large and bright, downright huge actually. There's a nice desk area as well and three good sized closets. Not sure what one needs all those closets for but they're there. My problem was the furnishings. The couch and armchair are built for people who have right angles in their spines. They are extremely uncomfortable unless you take one of the pillows off the bed for your back.
The bedroom is smaller than usual but not cramped. The bed was well beyond worn. My wife and I spent the night in a valley in the center of the bed "cheek to cheek" constantly climbing back to the edges. As someone who loves a firm mattress this was misery. So I did not sleep all that well.
The bathroom is small and clean but they've used every square inch of the horizontal surfaces to provide towels and toiletries which leaves you no room for your own stuff. The kicker is that in the morning there was no hot water in the shower. A short burst of warmish water, just enough to wash my hair then it turned cold.
On checkout we told the staff about our issues and they very quickly apologized and removed the valet parking fee, which is not inconsiderable at $22 a day. I appreciated that but still feel that Hilton usually does a lot better. While we're on the subject of the parking fee, I should warn you that the fee is per calendar day, so if you, like we did, arrive in the afternoon of one day and leave the following morning you get hit for two days of parking. Not sure that's proper.
The breakfast was well prepared and tasty but I was surprised how long it took to get our food given the very few patrons in the restaurant at the time. The staff were very friendly and accommodating there as well.
So the managers are doing a great job with their people but not so much with the physical plant. Perhaps we were in a room (930) scheduled for upgrade (we can hope) but it was not what we are used to from Doubletree.

Room Tip: I'd avoid room 930 if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our property. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences and we hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.

Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here for business for three nights.
Overall, the room is nice and large, with a bedroom and a separate "living area". There's also a decent desk to work at, a mini- fridge and one of those little coffee machines. The little gym is also reasonable.
The breakfast at the restaurant downstairs was good - though it wasn't included in my room rate.
The shuttle service is Great, and the drivers are real nice and accommodating.

However, two things were annoying, barring a 4-star recommendation:
1. the sofa in the living area has seen its fair share of guests, and was saggy, with its base pillows retreating into itself and make it less than comfortable.
2. there were no hot water in the sink (shower had no such problem). I complained about it TWICE and nothing was done about it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Greenwood Village, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Together with 16 college women lacrosse players and misc family members I stayed at this hotel last week. The small suite I had was freshly renovated, top linens, well furnished, quiet clean, and comfortable. The hotel staff was extremely accomodating to my every request, as were the garage valet folks who made my car instantly available for my many in/outs from this secure and attractive facility.
Unfortunately I did not have occasion to use the fitness center so have no comment there. But the restaurant was very nice, and very creative in its local/organic menu. The quality of the food was very high, and the service was equally commendable. I believe everyone in our group enjoyed the hotel, and heard not a single complaint. Any issues or problems were instantly resolved by the attentive and cordial staff. The location was convenient to walking to area restaurants as well. Access by car was easy from the airport.

Room Tip: I had a small suite on the 17th floor which had recently be renovated and found it very nice. The r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your stay on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled to hear that our team created rewarding experiences for you and the others traveling with you. I hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you, should your travels bring you to Pittsburgh in the future.

Archbald, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am a travel coordinator for the Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins Hockey Booster Club. I have been taking groups of 50 to 100 to Pittsburgh for Penguins games for 14 years. We have been staying at the Doubletree for the past 6 years with no intention of looking anywhere else. This review not only represents my stay but the stays of 50 to 100 other individuals in 25 to 50 rooms. I have not had one compliant about this hotel. Our rooms are always clean and fresh smelling. The front end manager greeted our buses with a basket of fresh, warm, Doubletree cookies. A welcome treat after a long bus ride. They make sure to have an area reserved to park a 45 foot long bus and sometimes 2 buses directly behind the hotel. This is almost always an issue at downtown hotels, but not here, the sales and management departments make sure of that. Whenever you walk through the lobby you are greeted with a friendly, "How's your stay?" or " Is there anything you need?". The concierge is very knowledgeable and offers excellent dining or entertainment suggestions. They offer a complimentary shuttle for local jaunts. As for food, our group always eats at the morning breakfast buffet. I schedule these for our group at all hotels we visit and I must say, The Doubletree breakfast buffet is one of if not the best for food freshness, variety, and service. I would recommend this property for any visit to Pittsburgh. It is perfectly located to walk to Penguins Hockey or Pirates Baseball. The football stadium and casino are a bit longer walk but do-able. This makes the Doubletree a park and walk hotel for sure!!!

Room Tip: All room types I've stayed in over the years are quiet for sleeping and very comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such an amazing review of our hotel on Trip Advisor! We love welcoming you and your group back to our hotel each time, and look forward to greeting you with the same smiles and warm cookies for a long time to come.

Warmest Regards,

smasullo@doubletreepgh.com

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown? Share your experiences!