I'm a huge fan of Hilton hotels and I'm also a Hilton Timeshare owner so it pains me to write this. We stayed at the Doubletree on Bigelow square to visit our niece who is at Duquesne. The location could not be better, it's practically on the campus. It's also a block away from the Consol Energy Center. The staff were very friendly and helpful and check in was a breeze complete with the wonderful warm cookies.
My problems are with the rooms and furnishings. I believe the hotel used to be an apartment house and it must have been a loud one. You could hear the cleaning staff talking to each other in the hallways clearly from the back bedroom. The sitting area is large and bright, downright huge actually. There's a nice desk area as well and three good sized closets. Not sure what one needs all those closets for but they're there. My problem was the furnishings. The couch and armchair are built for people who have right angles in their spines. They are extremely uncomfortable unless you take one of the pillows off the bed for your back.
The bedroom is smaller than usual but not cramped. The bed was well beyond worn. My wife and I spent the night in a valley in the center of the bed "cheek to cheek" constantly climbing back to the edges. As someone who loves a firm mattress this was misery. So I did not sleep all that well.
The bathroom is small and clean but they've used every square inch of the horizontal surfaces to provide towels and toiletries which leaves you no room for your own stuff. The kicker is that in the morning there was no hot water in the shower. A short burst of warmish water, just enough to wash my hair then it turned cold.
On checkout we told the staff about our issues and they very quickly apologized and removed the valet parking fee, which is not inconsiderable at $22 a day. I appreciated that but still feel that Hilton usually does a lot better. While we're on the subject of the parking fee, I should warn you that the fee is per calendar day, so if you, like we did, arrive in the afternoon of one day and leave the following morning you get hit for two days of parking. Not sure that's proper.
The breakfast was well prepared and tasty but I was surprised how long it took to get our food given the very few patrons in the restaurant at the time. The staff were very friendly and accommodating there as well.
So the managers are doing a great job with their people but not so much with the physical plant. Perhaps we were in a room (930) scheduled for upgrade (we can hope) but it was not what we are used to from Doubletree.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown - in the heart of the central business district between the U.S. Steel Tower and BNY Mellon Complexes, within 25 minutes of Pittsburgh International (PIT) Airport. Features complimentary shuttle around downtown and convenient access to the 'T' public transport from downtown to North Shore, spacious guest rooms and suites with free WiFi, 24-hour fitness center, indoor pool and other amenities you will need for your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Agoda and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Hotel And Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
- Doubletree Pittsburgh
- Doubletree Hotel Pittsburgh City Center
- Pittsburgh Doubletree