“a very nice place to stay in downtown Pittsburgh” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bigelow Square, Pittsburgh, PA 15219   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #20 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Greenwood Village, Colorado
“a very nice place to stay in downtown Pittsburgh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Together with 16 college women lacrosse players and misc family members I stayed at this hotel last week. The small suite I had was freshly renovated, top linens, well furnished, quiet clean, and comfortable. The hotel staff was extremely accomodating to my every request, as were the garage valet folks who made my car instantly available for my many in/outs from this secure and attractive facility.
Unfortunately I did not have occasion to use the fitness center so have no comment there. But the restaurant was very nice, and very creative in its local/organic menu. The quality of the food was very high, and the service was equally commendable. I believe everyone in our group enjoyed the hotel, and heard not a single complaint. Any issues or problems were instantly resolved by the attentive and cordial staff. The location was convenient to walking to area restaurants as well. Access by car was easy from the airport.

Room Tip: I had a small suite on the 17th floor which had recently be renovated and found it very nice. The r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your stay on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled to hear that our team created rewarding experiences for you and the others traveling with you. I hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you, should your travels bring you to Pittsburgh in the future.

761 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Korean first
Archbald, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am a travel coordinator for the Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins Hockey Booster Club. I have been taking groups of 50 to 100 to Pittsburgh for Penguins games for 14 years. We have been staying at the Doubletree for the past 6 years with no intention of looking anywhere else. This review not only represents my stay but the stays of 50 to 100 other individuals in 25 to 50 rooms. I have not had one compliant about this hotel. Our rooms are always clean and fresh smelling. The front end manager greeted our buses with a basket of fresh, warm, Doubletree cookies. A welcome treat after a long bus ride. They make sure to have an area reserved to park a 45 foot long bus and sometimes 2 buses directly behind the hotel. This is almost always an issue at downtown hotels, but not here, the sales and management departments make sure of that. Whenever you walk through the lobby you are greeted with a friendly, "How's your stay?" or " Is there anything you need?". The concierge is very knowledgeable and offers excellent dining or entertainment suggestions. They offer a complimentary shuttle for local jaunts. As for food, our group always eats at the morning breakfast buffet. I schedule these for our group at all hotels we visit and I must say, The Doubletree breakfast buffet is one of if not the best for food freshness, variety, and service. I would recommend this property for any visit to Pittsburgh. It is perfectly located to walk to Penguins Hockey or Pirates Baseball. The football stadium and casino are a bit longer walk but do-able. This makes the Doubletree a park and walk hotel for sure!!!

Room Tip: All room types I've stayed in over the years are quiet for sleeping and very comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for such an amazing review of our hotel on Trip Advisor! We love welcoming you and your group back to our hotel each time, and look forward to greeting you with the same smiles and warm cookies for a long time to come.

Warmest Regards,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel for a weekend conference. The room had been recently painted and the fumes were sickening strong. I stepped on a piece of glass in the bathroom and had to remove it from my foot. The conference dinner meals were mediocre, the breakfast and lunch buffets and evening appetizers were good. The conference rooms were nice, but no windows. The cookie upon arrival was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has not been recently painted.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
DoubletreePitt, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Sharon,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I was unable to locate your reservation in our system and have sent you a personal note to find out some additional information. We encourage all our guests to share their experience with the manager on duty prior to checking out of the hotel. Our managers and team members are here to ensure that each of our guests have a wonderful experience and if not, we want the opportunity to make it up to you.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Best regards,

Michael O'Donoghue
Director of Hotel Operations
modonoghue@doubletreepgh.com
412-586-1866
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were greeted at the door by a very friendly bellman who gave us directions to the parking, and promised to meet us there after we checked in. We were then checked in by a very friendly young lady who made us feel very welcome and special. She also made sure we had enough Doubletree cookies to get us through the night. Valet parking was very easy, and as promised the bellman was there with the cart and the same friendly smile.
Our room was huge, with a seating area, office area and large separate bedroom.
The Consol Energy Center was an easy walk.
Room service breakfast was wonderful, hot, fresh, and not terribly expensive. My son had a full breakfast with sunny side-up eggs, that were still "dippable" when they arrived....and I had the breakfast sandwich, which was delicious, and more food than I had expected for the price.
The pool is in a glassed in sunroom, and was clean and warm. There was no hot tub, but we really enjoyed the pool.
Checking out was just as easy as everything else. A nice young lady loaded up all of our bags, and while I was doing the final checkout, she loaded everything in the car and had it all ready for us just to drive away. At checkout, the same young lady was there who checked us in, and remembered my son had gone to the Pens game, and took time to talk to him about it.
All in all...a great stay, at a nice hotel, with great staff. Exactly what we needed to make the trip extra special.

Room Tip: We were on a high floor, so we did not hear the street noise. The hotel is on a busy corner right i...
Dear IA_Canuck,
Many thanks for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.com. We sincerely appreciate your wonderful comments about our team members and hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kindest regards,

Michael O'Donoghue
Director of Hotel Operations
modonoghue@doubletreepgh.com
Jordan, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

While the amenities of this hotel are plentiful, and the location is great, the level of customer service we received did not come close to meeting the Doubletree Standard. While I understand a wait during busy times, such as the breakfast rush, I find it hard to believe that anyone would find waiting 20 minutes to receive juice/water and be greeted by a server AFTER being seated, as acceptable. The elevators went out of whack and stopped at each and every floor, regardless of if they were called there or not. Having never been to Pittsburgh, we asked the front desk staff some questions about the area, where we could buy some adult beverages and snacks and were treated like we were asking the craziest questions in the world. Pittsburgh was an awesome city, but the service just didn't live up to our expectations of the hotel (which were based upon experiences at other Doubletree Hotels) I think we will consider trying somewhere else when we go back,

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room on a higher floor for good views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am extremely disappointed that the service provided to you fell short of your expectations. I can assure you that your concerns have been addressed. We strive to provide the highest quality of service, as well as clean and comfortable accommodations for each and every one of our guests. Please contact me directly at smasullo@doubletreepgh.com if you wish to provide any further feedback regarding your stay. I would like to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and provide you with the type of rewarding experience that we typically take great pride in.

Warmest Regards,

Warren Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a hotel that was close to Consol Energy Center. We thought that the Hilton Double-tree would be perfect for this visit to Pittsburgh Pa. It was a very nice hotel it has valet parking so you don't have to worry about your car. It cost us 22.00 to park our car there. They also put a hold of 50.00 on your debit visa for the just in case at the hotel. Valet was pretty fast on getting it once we checked out. There are several Pro's for this hotel, it's downtown, you don't have to worry about parking, there are several restaurant around you and a HUGE Macy's to go shopping. The front desk has several takeout menu's if you decide to stay in. One of the front desk employee's was very helpful on which place had great food. Also explained that the take out person didn't come to your room they will call you and you come down to the lobby to receive it.
Con's~ Everyone around us got free cookies, we didn't for some reason, Between Hotwire and Double tree our reservations got mixed up. Even after I called and confirmed our reservations. Our room was not cleaned, so they gave us a king room which was fine if it was just hubby and myself but we had our 3 kids with us. So we had to go back down to lobby and have them find us another room. They did fix the problem by giving us a 2 bedroom suite on the 12th floor. It was a very nice room. No safe, or mini-fridge. There also wasn't a peephole.( I know this sounds silly, but when your in a room by yourself with a little one and hear knocking at your door you get a little nervous not being able to see who it is.) You also heard doors slamming a lot on the floor we were on. The rooms are a little dated, I did read in a couple of places that they were remodeling so hopeful the higher rooms get redone too. The shower in the master bath was pretty much a shower with a curtain so water got on the floor a lot so you had to make sure you had a towel down so mop up some of the water.
They have a sizable work out room on the 3rd floor with a swimming pool right next to it. The swimming pool was a little dated, I was told it was heated but it was very cold when my little one and I went swimming.
They do have breakfast room service, they seemed a little expensive to me. 9.00 for 3 pancakes was a little much.
All in all we did have a very nice time. The staff was very informative about the area. They fixed our reservation without so much of a whine. Lucky for us we print everything and take it will us for the just in case emergency.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for providing great feedback on Trip Advisor! I am glad that your reservation and requests were corrected promptly for you by our team. We hope to see you again in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Was there for a one night stay for a Pens game. Beds were very comfortable, bathrooms looked new and the hotel in general was well maintained and clean.
Can't beat the location for any Consol Center event (one block away) and also close to PNC Park and Heinz Field.
The staff was very pleasant and helpful.
Only downside was a problem with the elevators when I was checking out....but the front desk offered to send someone upstairs to the 18th floor to get my bags.....how's that for customer service! (the problem was fixed within 15 minutes).
Would most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel & Suites - Pittsburgh Downtown for your stay in our wonderful city! As you had mentioned, most of our guest rooms are newly renovated and we are one block from the Consol Energy Center. We hope that you choose our hotel should you return to Pittsburgh in the future.

Prith Shah
Front Desk Manager
pshah@doubletreepgh.com

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown? Share your experiences!