“Good Hotel, Great Cookies” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bigelow Square, Pittsburgh, PA 15219   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Extra AAA Discount!
Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
GreenLeadersGold level
Howell, Michigan, United States
“Good Hotel, Great Cookies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I booked my trip to downtown Pittsburgh staying at the Double Tree Hotel. I booked the hotel on Priceline and received a very good deal. The hotel was in a pretty good location, walking distance to PNC park and other downtown attractions. The shuttle only ran until 11pm which was a bit early for my standards. Downtown Pittsburgh has a great nightlife and I would recommend this hotel to others. Don't forget to ask for the cookies at the front desk. They are GREAT.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
smasullo, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and, as you mentioned, always are excited to hand out our famous, warm cookies at the front desk!

Warmest Regards,

Stephanie Masullo
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

We stayed here for two nights during Light Up Night. Convenient to all activities. Comfortable room, good breakfast and nice size pool for swimming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011 via mobile

Room and hotel was nice but wifi being down for more than half of the time we were staying at the hotel really inconvenienced us as we needed to work from the room and needed to scramble for other locations which was very inconvenient.

• Stayed October 2011
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I'm extremely critical in all my review as TripAdvisor has served me abounds for 10 years now so its time to return the favor. I spent a weekend here for a steelers game & some sight seeing, to be brief you can do the sightseeing aspect of pitt in about 1.5 days if you walk slow:) lovely town just very small. I arrived late friday night and was greeted with warm cookies, and a nice clean newly renovated room. Bed was extremely comfortable, room was quite, very courteous staff which always goes a long way with me, and we had asked for a late checkout on sunday and were given an extra hour which was great. To be honest I don't have super high expectations for chain hotels so I feel this one earned a solid A for what I expected. Only three concerns: first the shuttle was Missing In Action the entire weekend at the hotel, ohh we did see whilst we walked around the town nice big cookie decal on the side, but we never could seem to catch it at the hotel this can be troublesome if its busy in pitt as taxis are not so easy to locate sometimes. Second we asked for late checkout which was 1pm, at 12:55 the maid was knocking on our door and my girl and I were ahem.. getting ready to leave I told her 5 minutes please. At 12:59 literally (I looked at my watch) "Management" politely greeted us ar our door to ensure we were leaving. No big deal but we were just walking out and it wasn't 1 yet, so relax. The reason we were leaving sunday instead of monday if you don't know about pittsburgh is the room that was $189 the night before a steelers game turned into $300+ for the sunday night of the game, how convenient nothing like corporate america blatantly price gouging us at any given oppurtunity, I mean $300 for a sunday night room in pitt??? Don't get me wrong this wasn't any fault of Doubletree EVERY HOTEL did this I checked rates just think its uncalled for in a smaller town like pitt you would want to encourage tourism correct? Finally I had an overall wonderful experience but the last taste left in my mouth was getting my car back. I want to make clear the Valet Parking is a company seperate from the hotel according to a sign in the garage, but it took 20 minutes to get my car back at practically midnight?? Then the attendant respectfully attempted "let this one slide" to waive an additional $8 overtime fee because we were 20 minutes over the 48hr wknd timeframe his boss IN FRONT OF MY FACE told him and I "not this time", I was tired, I had a 6hr drive ahead of me, and if my girl wasn't standing right there I would have ripped him a new one about customer service basics. Overall nice place, valet company needs the boot, I would defientely stay again, great convienient location to stadiums, strip district, and mt. washington area.

Room Tip: Request a high floor room as there is construction around the hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

On a previous stay at this hotel, my experience wasn't great (difficult to find/access, disinterested valet staff and front desk personnel, loud traffic). However, on a recent stay (Nov '11), service definitely improved. Valet guy was attentive, front desk was helpful, room upgrade much appreciated, and it was somehow quiet. Great, centrally located hotel downtown to access Conv Ctr, restaurants, ballpark, etc.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

It wasn't cheap to stay here but if you're without a car Pittsburgh is a city where you need to be downtown. I was really happy I stayed here. Hotel staff were great - always friendly and helpful, really seemed to value our business. The free cookies at check in were a nice touch.

Room was a decent size (two double beds). Free internet was appreciated. No mini bar or fridge - didn't bother me but worth knowing if you like that kind of thing. Bathroom was spacious - looked a little weird but everything worked so can't complain. Great TV. Only criticism about the room was they were quite slow making it up each day. Slept well though, nice and quiet.

There was no breakfast included but you did get a free paper and free use of the indoor pool and gym facilities.

Hotel location is great on the edge of downtown - easy to walk to the strip district or anywhere downtown or station square. It's about 30 minutes' walk to Heinz Field so easily doable after a game.

If I go back to Pittsburgh I would stay here again, even though the price was quite high.

Room Tip: Ask for one on a higher floor, you'll probably get a better view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
DoubletreePitt, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
Thank you for posting a great review of our property on Trip Advisor! We strive to provide the highest quality of service and clean, comfortable accommodations. We look forward to your next visit, and to welcoming you with a warm cookie and smile.

Thanks again,

Stephanie Masullo
Front Office Manager
Planet Earth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel several times on business.

The good:
1. Great friendly, responsive and obliging staff, always willing to do what they can to make you happy.
2. Wonderful breakfast (as with other Double Trees), esp the french toast. Yum!
3. Nice chocolate chip cookie on arrival (also in line with other Double Trees)
4. Very comfortable bed with very nice pillows! I always sleep like a baby in their beds!
5. Very soft thick and plush towels!

The not so good:
1. There is always something not quite right with the room that would otherwise make this hotel faultless - either a light switch doesn't work, or an electrical outlet won't work, or knob in the bathroom that controls whether water comes out of the shower head or the bath tap doesn't quite work (for US readers, tap = faucet:), or...
2. The internet connection borders on deplorable. It's unreliable and at times just goes down altogether. Worse than having unreliable internet is a dreadful internet provider with mouthy staff - upon calling ATT Wifi support (the internet provider at this hotel), you have to listen to and make about half a dozen options before getting a human being who then proceeds to ask you another half a dozen questions before you can explain why you're calling. Furthermore, you are sometimes fortunate enough to get an agent who all but tells you it's none of your business when you ask what the problem might be.
Aside from the unreliable and poor customer service provided by ATT Wifi, I will make some allowances for both DoubleTree and ATT in internet issues - in any and every hotel I stay in, internet bandwidth never seems sufficient because of the multitude of selfish selfish people who feel that it's ok to watch streaming videos on Netflix when they are sharing bandwidth with 200 or more other people. I urge all readers and travelers to please be considerate of one another - watch your Netflix movies online at home where you own the internet connection; do not do so when you are sharing an internet connection with a couple hundred other people!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Pittsburgh Downtown? Share your experiences!