“A Rock Solid Performance” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Legume is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,895 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bayard
Transit: The 71C, 71A, 54 and 93 all stop at the intersection of N. Craig and Bayard. Additional buses stop at N. Craig and Fifth Ave., approximately 1 and 1/2 blocks south of Legume.
Providence, Rhode Island
“A Rock Solid Performance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Travelling on business, I dined at Legume based on fellow TripAdvisor reviews. I wasn't disappointed. At first, the vibe seemed very upscale, but there were all kinds of attire, from casual to dressed up. It all seemed to fit.
The food, of course, was the star of the show. We started with the goat cheese and pepper jelly crostini - very good - bread just crispy enough and didn't skimp on the cheese or jelly. Next was the beet and blue cheese salad - a good portion and very delicious. For my entree I had the sausage and lentils - very creative and served perfectly.
The restaurant is fancy without being pretentious; upscale without being overpriced. The food was fresh and delicious. Not inexpensive, but a good value. I was impressed.
Hint for out-of-towners: park in the garage across the street - they will validate your ticket. We parked up the street in the public lot and had to scrounge for quarters.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

McDonald, Pennsylvania
“Creative and elegant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had a girls night out at Legume 3 days ago. The drinks are interesting and unique, with a nice wine list. Dinner was equally interesting and delicious. The menu changes daily (you have to admire a imaginative and risky move like that). So, if you are adventurous, just make a reservation. If not, you can check the menu for the day on their website. If you're looking for a more casual venue, chrckout the Butterjoint, the restaurant's ajointing bar/cafe next door.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh PA
“Excellent food... when they have it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Legume is a special restaurant-- beautiful atmosphere, and interesting food expertly prepared by good people committed to local sourcing. BUT time after time they run out of entrees, even early in the evening. It's admirable that they buy in non-wasteful quantities but it would be so much better if diners didn't have to have 3-4 choices in mind because so much is sold out!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“LEGUME - go there soon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

wow, wow, wow!...i had the pleasure of going to LEGUME the Friday after Xmas..i thought due to the holidays, there probably wouldnt be much of a crowd..was i wrong - the place was packed...the space is not at all what i had expected and had never been to the previous restaurant..it is a large space.....the owner has succumbed to the growing trend for pittsburgh restaurants of minimalism/beige decor..(frankly, im growing tired of that look) but none the less, it is a beautiful space...unlike SPOON, which I had recently been to and they remind me of each other, the table had AMPLE room between......we had a table near the window..we had a wonderful gentleman for our waiter...very engaging/knowledgeable...the menu is very minimalistic - but even so hard to choose....only 5 entrees to choose from and i couldnt decide! .started with a G & T, then ordered Spanish cab bottle which was FANTASTIC....ordered the starter salad....it was mixed greens and goat cheese and croutons...OMG...fantastic....there was no dressing on the plate...it was all in the greens..to me - the salad is the barometer for the whole meal..u nail that - its downhill from there..as is very clear - this restaurant enjoys the challenge of using local abundant ingredients....i chose the Jamison (central PA) leg of lamb with lentils and braised cabbage and Kohlrabi puree..it was just amazing...chef recommends med rare but i chose medium and that was perfect...the reduction was so flavorful and the perfect portion! no take home..... for dessert - the warm gingerbread with whipped cream....AMAZING..great ginger flavor...i just dont like the fruit with dessert...i want sweets only! this bistro is a treat and a must do in Pittsburgh!!! reservation recommended....

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Did not live up to reputation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My sister and I, native Pittsburghers long since transplanted, visited Pittsburgh to celebrate her birthday at the beginning of November. My husband had been in Pittsburgh a few months before and had had dinner here with a friend and raved about it, so I decided that this would be a great place to have the birthday dinner. My sister and I were both disappointed, not so much about the food as about the service and the treatment we received.

After we were seated, the waiter came to our table and--there's no other way to say it--pushed rather aggressively the pate appetizer that the restaurant was serving that night. Neither of us is fond of pate, so we said that we didn't want to order it. We fully intended to order a full diner of appetizer, main, wine, dessert, etc., as this was a festive occasion (or was supposed to be), but after saying that we didn't want the pate we both got the feeling that the main purpose of the waiter was to get us to order as much/spend as much as possible. It did not make us happy, or make us feel welcome. That being said, my sister enjoyed her meal--I believe it was sturgeon. I cannot remember what I ate because the memory of the mood surrounding the meal has blotted out the memory of the food. My sister has reminded me that we enjoyed the dessert of a ginger tart, and that the wine was good, but my lingering memory is of the service, not of the food. I hope that the restaurant will read this and note that for at least some patrons, service and treatment of guests is at least as important as the quality of the food served. Would I go back? No.

• Visited November 2012