“Where oh where did our waiter go........” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Capital Grille

Capital Grille
301 5th Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (Downtown)
412-338-9100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Capital Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 1,899 Restaurants in Pittsburgh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Wood Street
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Where oh where did our waiter go........”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Really disappointed. Arrived at 7:35 for 7:45 reservation and were seated immediately in a lovely back dining room. Staff was friendly and nice, but just wasn't on top of it, 4 courses took over 2 hours to serve to just two people. Our waiter disappeared for long stretches of time (I think he had other tables in another room of the restaurant and just forgot about us, I blame this on the restaurant management, but its all part of the service).

The appeizter of kobe carpaccio was overwhelmed by the spicey arugala. The tomato and mozzerella salad contained several poorly cut, over ripe tomatoes swimming in a balsamic type liquid with bland mozzerella. The wedge salad had the most bitter iceburg lettuce I ever tasted and included large hunks of the core. It was not appetizing.

The steaks were fabulous and cooked perfectly. Deserts were nice.

I think I will return to Morton's when I want to go to a steak house.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

“Great steak, fabulous service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011 via mobile

As with all capital grilles, this one does not disappoint. Crowded but wonderful bar where the service is fabulous (Seth rocks!!). Bone in sirloin was cooked to perfection. Highly recommend it for a casual evening, special date or business meal. They make you feel special.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Detroit, Michigan
“Fantastic food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

My sister and I took my parents to celebrate an anniversary. I called for a reservation and once we arrived they had set aside a private dining room with hearts on the table. We were delighted that they took note of the occasion and prepared for it. The server was attentive and anticipated our needs before we needed anything. The food was explained well by the server and it tasted fantastic!

Best dining experience ever!

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Top notch food, service and overall experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

Dined there for the first time this summer and it's now one of my favorites. Our waiter was top notch and offered the kind of service I find on cruise ships - he couldn't do enough for us. I'm not the demanding type at all, but he took clues from my comments and offered suggestions. For example, I wasn't sure which red wine I wanted so I told him what I like and he brought me two to try, one which I much preferred over the other, so I really appreciated the gesture. I also wasn't that hungry and he heard me mention to my husband that maybe we could try each other's dishes. He offered to divide the meals ahead of time on each plate so we ended up with a surf and turf meal. His suggestions were spot on - the lobster mac and cheese was to die for! My husband really liked their signature martini suggested by our waiter. Waiter also mentioned that parking is a premium in the city but if you go there first to eat, you essentially get cheap parking for a night out on the town with their free curbside service and a nice tip to the valet. Now THAT'S a handy tip!
Will definitely return!! Loved it so much, bought a gift certificate for friends. If you get on their mailing list you will get email offers on gift certificates bought in larger quantities.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Over the top service, OK food, Insanely expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I went here twice because Amex gave me $50 free toward a meal, but that barely put a dent in the check for two people without drinks. Steak is ok, but honestly I can get as good a steak at longhorne for half the price, or even Lone Star. Bread was remarkable. Service exquisite. Rest of the food just OK. Unless you are on an expense account, then skip this place. Or go to Mortons if you need this type experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Food