“Great Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Horseshoe Bend
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed two nights. Very nice staff. Clean room with the things I seek: A good chair, a good desk, a coffee pot that makes 4 cups instead of 2, refrigerator with ice maker, TV and DVD plus a free DVD library off the lobby. Add in snacks on the honor system and a good workout room and what more could you want? If you need a fancy lobby, or a high end furniture in the room, you probably would be happier paying more but getting less (but it will be fancier). Price was below the usual suspects' prices. I note the complaints about hallway carpets, but they looked new to me. May have been refurbished since those folks stayed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
WesternPATexan, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your complimentary review of your recent stay at our hotel! Please join us again when travel brings you back to Pittsburgh.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I don't think the carpet in the hallways has ever been cleaned....looks like dirt has been matted into the carpet for years.

Front desk is frequently left unattended.

Only 1 door on the front of the hotel to get inside...not convenient at all

Hallway carpets are not very clean either

Stayed for 5 nights had to have room key reprogrammed 3 different times.

When pulling out of the parking lot the Candlewood sign is right in the way to see any oncoming traffic.

Shame as most Candlewoods are nice, clean, and kept up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
WesternPATexan, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
KPace52, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback - it shows us our property through the eyes of our customer; providing us with a 'snapshot' at where improvements can be made. Know that we will address those areas where possible.

Our front desk is sometimes left unattended. Our guest services staff multi-task throughout their shift and always have a remote phone on their person. They are usually right around the corner. By picking up the phone provided and dialing "0" our staff can assist you within a couple of seconds.

The programmable keys are highly sensitive to magnets and/or cell phones that de-program them. It is impossible to say what may have been causing the de-programming in your case. I can appreciate what a hassle it was for you.

We hope you will accept our sincerest apology for the experience you had during your most recent stay.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed here for two weeks and was very comfortable. The building was secure and the staff supported my need for privacy.
The room was spacious and well stocked. The free wifi was appreciated and the pass codes changed regularly. The desk and chair were comfortable and well set up.
The room was cleaned weekly and the housekeeping staff was quite friendly and responsive to requests for hangers and pillows.
The small 'store' was great to grab a snack at any time just leaving your room number for billing.
The Suites is located in the hub of Robinson Town Center and only 20 minutes to downtown Pittsburgh and the airport.
I would highly recommend staying at this Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed February 2013
WesternPATexan, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. We appreciate your kind comments and recommendation to others. We look forward to hosting you again when your travels bring you back to our area.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was going to leave this hotel after the first 3 or 4 days. However the service of the Sales Manager (Shannon) and the new GM (not to mention the friendly Front Desk treatment) got me to stay. The hotel recently received a refurbishing in all rooms. However, you could never guess this was the case by the condition of the hallways and lobby. I don't think the carpets have been cleaned in ages. The whole hotel just looks worn. Even after the rooms were refurbished...I don't think my carpet was really cleaned, nor shampooed --ever (and the walls/paint looked old.)!! I have stayed at many Candlewood's during the last few years (the best being Chicago/O'Hare and Boston/Burlington), but this one has to be the worst. However, it now has potential. After pointing out to Shannon the stains on the back of the bathroom door, silverware and dishware that was unclean, the bed duvet that was soiled, and the appearance of "stinkbugs" (which I was told is a problem for ALL hotels in the region) she immediately told the new GM and got things changed for me. I usually stay for 3 or 4 weeks on a hotel business trip (this was a 4 week stay-- ending Feb. 1, 2013) and I refuse to stay in ANYTHING but a clean upgraded hotel. I was greatly pleased by the service by Shannon and the new GM (whom I heard was just weeks into his new job ---due to the conditions set by the previous GM). I heard the new GM is making it a point to clean the hallways, make the rooms cleaner and improved and change the hotel 100 percent. An excellent plus is the front desk service. I receive daily faxes in my job and they were VERY efficient in getting them to me on a timely basis. I would give this hotel a chance and if you run into any problems --- contact management --- they seem ready to change and perform.

Room Tip: Get corner rooms -- they are mostly 1 Bedroom Suites. They offer the most privacy
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Kirby B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am pleased to know that you see improvements in our hotel. We strive hard to provide clean, friendly and comfortable accommodations to all our guests and we are delighted that it is being noticed. Please accept my sincerest apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and if our hotel fell below your expectations. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and thank you very much for your patronage.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Belton, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The first time we stayed here was for 9 days, it was great, manager was super nice and let us check in early, even called me when the room was ready! We went away for christmas break and came back for long term stay, this time it wasn't so GREAT, first off, the room was pretty dirty, really dusty and had old food on the backsplash of the kitchen, also had dirty/greasy hand prints on the bathroom door. We went down to get some milk, the exp date was still good, but when I poured it in the glass it was CHUNKY! GROSS!!!! so we called down to the front desk to notify them that their milk was sour, we had gotten 2 of them. The lady at the front desk just chuckled and said "ok" not anything like O do you want your money back?? Nope !!! Next we pulled the sheets down to get in bed, and there were MULTIPLE little black hairs in the sheets, GROSS!! I stripped the bed and asked for some more sheets, same thing, got some more sheets, even the matress pad had little black hairs in it!! That is horrible in my opinion, I do not want to be sleeping in someone elses pubs!!! The person who stayed here before must of had a pull up bar, which left black marks on the door frame, took me 2 min to wipe it off, pretty easy but I guess the cleaning people didn't seem to think so.... the room was sooo dusty you could write your name in the dust like someone stated earlier... THE next item made me want to leave.... when I went to take the trash bag out of the bathroom trash can, Ilifted up the liner, and there was a needle and a bloody band-aid in the bottom of the trash can!!! How can you explain that one??? We put it out in the hall way and requested a new one, it wasn't the front desk's fault and the guy was very nice and apologetic about it but obiously the cleaning people saw it and just thew a bag in on top of it! That is totally unacceptable!!!! did a manager call and acknowledge the problem? NO and still haven't heard from one..... If I was a manager of a hotel and my guest found a needle... I would be having a talk with the cleaning staff because they do not do a good job, then the towels we had in the room also had little black hairs in them, so I went to ross and bought some of my own so I wont have that problem, the fake wood floors are also very dirty, I also had to vacume when we first got here because NO JOKE there was a half an inch of dust and dirt along the baseline of the floor!!!! someone needs to be checking these rooms because this one slipped through the crack! On the other hand I like that the laundry is free, and have dvd players in the room and dvd check outs, nice little work out center, and the front desk is always friendly and nice. I just wish they had a restaurant or something!! O one last thing, THERE IS NO KING SIZE BEDS!!! only queen :( and the walls are very very thin in here, you can hear everything your neighbors are saying and doing, you can hear people coming down the hallway from the elevator

Room Tip: get a 3rd floor room so you can't hear everything the people above you are doing
Dear Casey H,

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We attend numerous conventions in the winter months and Candlewood Suites is typically my first choice. I love the setup, i.e., the kitchens, big desk by the TV, large bathrooms with shelves to store your toiletries’. I especially LOVE that fact that you can open the windows for fresh air. We stayed her for a convention in downtown Pittsburgh and it was only short drive. The past two years we had stayed in The Hampton Inn Greentree however they continued to increase in price annually and this year went up to $120.00 a night so Candlewood at $77.00 per night was a great deal. I love that fact that they still offer smoking rooms for those of us that don’t want to stand outside in freezing weather. I will drive the extra miles to find a smoking room, another reason why I love the ability to open the window. This was a very clean and nicely maintained hotel and I will definitely stay here again when returning to Pittsburgh.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
WesternPATexan, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. We appreciate your kind comments and recommendation to others. We hope you will return to us next year when back in the area for your conventions. We currently have a dozen smoking rooms with most of them located on the third floor (for the consideration of other guests).

Weirton, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel because of bad weather, and I was nervous because I've never stayed at a Candlewood Suites before. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. He even gave me free toiletries which I had forgotten. The room was nice. Large bathroom. Freshly remodeled living area. Huge desk. The kitchen was equipped with a full sized fridge, oven, microwave, sink, and supplies.

Even though the hotel seemed booked (there were school buses parked in the lot), i couldn't hear anyone at night. I'd stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012
We are happy to hear of your positive experience with us earlier this year! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. There are around 300 Candlewood Suites across the country. We hope you will consider staying with us again and at our sister properties in the future. We offer a great option for travelers seeking their own space while traveling.

Director of Sales

Been to Candlewood Suites - Pittsburgh Airport? Share your experiences!