“very nice alternative to a traditional hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free goodies at check-in
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Santa Monica, California
“very nice alternative to a traditional hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Spent the weekend in Shadyside over the holiday and stayed at Shadyside Inn. Very refreshing. The check-in was efficient and they gave me a goodie-bag with muffins, orange juice and some granola bars. Nice unexpected touch.

My room was a nice surprise. These all seem to be former apartments converted over to a hotel. The furniture was good quality, although more color would be better, and they had all the stuff you would expect like flatscreen tv’s and ipod dock alarm clocks. Would come back again next time we’re in Pittsburgh.

Pros:

Great location.

The rooms are huge.

Staff very friendly

Cons:

We had to be driven to the building we were staying at. It was not in the same place as the check-in office. Not a huge deal but if you don’t have a car and the shuttle isn’t there it could be annoying.

Only two towels in the bathroom. We had to call for more.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
ShadysideInnSuites, Manager at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Hi AngelaMD, thanks for taking the time to write out a review for us! We're glad you liked the morning snack bag-- Walnut Street has plenty of great breakfast restaurants only blocks away, but sometimes a simple OJ and fresh muffin just hit the spot. Hope you found the coffee packet by the coffee maker in your suite's kitchen too! We do have several different buildings in the Shadyside area, and while they're all well within walking distance, we keep our shuttle ready to take any guest over who'd like a lift!
We start with two sets of towels in our suites by default to prevent superfluous laundry cycles, which can be an environmentally-unfriendly source of excess water and power consumption if not monitored carefully. Like anything else you need, our staff will gladly hop to bring over extra towels. We'll look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011 via mobile

Where should I begin? We arrived on a Friday and checked in. The greeting was pleasant and we were given a welcome bag. The first impression ended as soon as we drove to our building. After trying to figure out if we were in the right place - the parking lot was HORRIBLE with limited parking, behind the building with limited lighting, very unsafe - we called from car to make sure we were in the right place. We were. We reluctantly got out, and there was no entrance to the building from the lot. Called again, staff member, when asked where we enter the building, DID NOT KNOW! are you kidding me?! That should've been our first clue. Walked around to side of building on uneven "driveway" if you can even call it that and tried first door we came to. Got in, and found the elevator. Suite was nice at first glance, opened sliding closet door and the door fell right off. Ok... Two room suite had one large room with Queen "bed" - but we kept calling it the table because it was ridiculously firm. The other room had to single beds with nightstand between and absolutel no room for suitcases etc except for small closet with two hangers. About 1 foot border to wall around beds. Tiny bathroom with no room for toiletries - would it kill them to add shelves above the toilet? And by "toilet" I mean "toilet that hardly flushed after one person used it." So everyone is exhausted and we go to bed, only to be woken up at 12:30am from a car alarm. Granted this was not hotels fault, but having on site person would have helped - the alarm went off for about one minute, every three minutes. For an hour and a half. On site staff could've figured out whose car it was (you give make and model upon check on) and contacted them. We could hear it especially clear because we had to have the windows open IN DECEMBER because the heat was up so high and we could
Not adjust it. Spent Saturday all over the 'burgh to return to NO PARKING spaces open in the inadequate lot. And, you cannot park on the street in this area. Finally decided to park in the "handicapped" (I would NEVER ask anyone with a handicap to try to maneuver the uneven lot) spot by the side door. Called to tell them we had to park there and they were fine with it. Well, apparently someone WASN'T and the ENTIRE passenger side of the car (a chevy Tahoe) was keyed from front headlight to back headlight... Back and forth up and down the entire side of the car. Based on location of parking it had to be someone staying in hotel - it's an "out of the way" location and people don't just wander that way to vandalize cars. It says there's video surveillance but it's so dark and poorly lit, unless it's infrared it doesn't matter. Was more than happy to leave the place. I lived one block away and would've rather stayed in my old student apartment that coat just as much for a month than this dump for a weekend! Unless you like the adventure of not knowing if your car is safe, risky entrance and exit from am inadequate "parking lot" and driveway, closet doors falling off, sleeping on tables and feeling like you're in an oven - don't stay here! We didn't even bother talking to management because our first inquiry re: entering building was so ridiculous we knew we may as well be talking to the wall. Ugh. Good thing I love Pittsburgh and know lots of other places to stay!

• Stayed December 2011
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
GetsAround3,

I am so sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. We seem to have really let you down. This morning we had an emergency meeting to go over your review and try and to dissect what went wrong with your stay. I want to go over a few of the items here so that maybe other travelers won't run into the same issues.

We have decided to upgrade all of our exterior signs to make it easier to navigate the area between the parking lot and the entrances. We checked to see if perhaps we had any lights out in the rear of the building and upon examination we found that one of the lights was indeed burned out. I am sorry we didn't catch that before you came. This past weekend was very busy at the hotel and occasionally we have issues with neighbors trying to squeeze into our lots illegally. As you pointed out, Shadyside is very difficult place to park and parking is always at a premium in this neighborhood. We are looking into having the lot patrolled more often by the towing company to cut down on the number of non-hotel guests trying to use the lot.

I am horrified that a closet door fell off the track! We actually had our meeting in the suite you were staying at and noticed that the wheels on the track needed to be tightened. We have our maintenance staff looking at all the suites this week to make sure other doors are not loose. We have never had that issue before and I am sorry that you had to be the first one to see something like that happen.

About two years ago we started upgrading the beds in all our suites. As you can imagine there is a lot of subjectivity to how people like their beds to feel. Some people like a firmer bed, while others like a softer bed. Our beds were purchased to fall into the middle. I checked the bed in your suite and agree it was too firm for my tastes as well. We replaced that mattress this morning with a softer model.

We noticed that your suite was missing the instructions for how to operate the thermostat. I am happy to report that this is no longer going to be an issue moving forward since in December we started a year long project to totally renovate our HVAC systems in all our suites. I'm just sorry that your didn't end up in a suite with the new system.

Lastly I want to address your concerns with our front desk. Our policy is to always go out of our way to do ANYTHING to make a guest happy. I have talked with the person who was at the front desk when you first called. I am sorry that he did a very poor job of directing you to your suite. I realize that this made you loose faith in calling us back with your other concerns. I sincerely wish you would have called us over the weekend, especially when I was here. We are by no means perfect. We do make mistakes at times. One thing though we are very good at is fixing a guest issue. We would do anything in our power to correct a problem and I urge you to call us and talk to one of our managers so we can at the very least apologize again to you and try and convince you to give us another chance.
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

This past weekend was our first trip ever to Pittsburgh, PA. We stayed at the Shadyside Inn and Suites and were very content with our stay and the hospitality of the staff. The surrounding area of Shadyside coupled with our stay (not to mention a Ravens win) made it the absolute perfect weekend. Upon arrival the staff immediately made sure we felt at home. The layout of the mansion suite was really cool (tons of space for the 4 of us) and had a modern feel to it. We would highly recommend Shadyside to anyone and would stay here on our next trip to Pitt.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011 via mobile

Visited Pittsburgh last weekend. Was visiting my dauhter at a local university. Was greeted very nicely by the people at the front desk. I did have some mixed feelings about the place at first, because of the office set up not looking like the usual hotel set up , however when we got to our room I was very pleased. A staff member helped me with my bags without me even asking for help . The room was very nice, large rooms and very clean, with plenty of extra towels. I will recommend and will be back next time I visit my daughter.

• Stayed November 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

We recently stayed in the mansion suites, they were amazing! The design and decor was very modern, and the view was great as well. The staff was great, we needed more towels and they sent them right over. The location was great a few block walk to a lot of shops.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed at the Shadyside Inn and Suites this past weekend to visit my daughter who is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh. We stayed at the building on S. Aiken and Fifth. My 2BR suite was very large and was more like a furnished apartment rather than a hotel room which was very nice. Never stayed in a place like this before and it was indeed a pleasant surprise given some of the mixed reviews. Given my experience, I am not sure where the negatives come into play. My "room" was tastefully furnished, extremely clean, and the staff was amazingly accomadating and helpful. Having a full kitchen was an extra bonus and we actually took advantage of it. I wish I knew about this property earlier. I would recommend to all of my friends and can promise you that I will be back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Very strange place -- exactly like a student apartment, except that we haven't been students for many years! Overpriced -- a 2 BR was $200/night on a weekend. TINY bathroom, antiquated kitchen. Poor housekeeping - after one night, the housekeepers didn't bother to wipe down the sink or clean the few dishes in the kitchen. Paper thin walls and hardwood floors so we could hear the people upstairs loud and clear at 11:30 p.m. We had no choice -- it was Family Weekend at Pitt and the other hotels nearby were sold out. Won't stay here again. We'll book earlier and go back to the Mariott Residence Inn with a hot breakfast and good housekeeping (and significantly less expensive).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
ShadysideInnSuites, Owner at Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
aam1964,

I am very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience at our hotel. Anytime a customer is disappointed it makes our entire staff reflect on what went wrong and try and improve so that the next guest doesn't have the same experience. First let me apologize if another guest was being too loud. All our buildings use concrete construction for both the walls and the floors. In an ideal setting this ensures that sounds from neighboring suites don't travel through the walls. A loud neighbor at 11:30pm is unacceptable and you have every right to be upset with us. We recently switched from carpet to hardwood floors. So far it has been positive and noise has not been an issue. We made sure that we used a product with a rubber undercoating to act as a sound deadening material. We are going to have the suite above where you stayed looked at by our flooring installers to make sure we didn't miss something in the installation of that suite.

As you know it was a very busy weekend here in Pittsburgh. Prices of all the hotels in the area were extremely high. As a rule we generally do not mark up our suites to try and take advantage of these situations. Hotels sell out very fast and this becomes an issue of supply and demand. I hope you understand that our prices for a two bedroom suite are actually less expensive than standard hotel rooms. Given our location, the size of our suites, and free parking we try our hardest to be a value to consumers.

Our words can only do so much to try and make up for your unpleasant experience. We take this kind of criticism very seriously. Please contact us so we can try and make this up to you.

Been to Shadyside Inn All Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!