“Low expectations, yet not met” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place

You added Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3454 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (Formerly Wyndham Pittsburgh University Place) (Central Oakland)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Low expectations, yet not met”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

An HGI is an HGI--a safe, comfortable, easy box utterly devoid of charm or personality or anything unexpected. It is the quintessence of a modern-day business hotel. It is the equivalent of a Toyota Camry--an appliance, only this time for sleeping.

Yet this one near the Pitt campus doesn't even meet that low bar.

The parking is valet only, with terrible signage. I foolishly drove into the $18 garage, beset by very tight turning ramps and a low ceiling. In fairness, I had no business being there...it is valet only. But it took 10+ minutes to get the valet ticket once I cautiously wended my way back down.

The restaurant is a gastronomic Camry--it gets the job done with no sparkle or pizazz or pleasure, just calories and protein and carbs and fat. Yawn.

The room is surprisingly small, almost crammed with two queen beds. I've not seen this bed in the dozens of HGIs I've visited: it's a mattress on a low platform. Every time you get on the bed or even re-adjust position, the mattress slides on the slightly-too-big platform. Annoying.

The bathroom is tiny and cramped. The bathroom door won't stay open by itself. The full-length mirror is inconveniently positioned.

None of these are major complaints, just annoying.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us. Our goal for everyone that stays with us is to have an extremely satisfying experience. In that spirit, I would like to apologize for the issues that you experienced while staying at our hotel. If there is anything specific that would have made your stay with us better, please let me know. If you have any plans on coming back to the Pittsburgh area, I would love if you gave us another opportunity to make your stay the Cadillac of stays here in Oakland.

412-683-2040
bill.theiss@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We chose this hotel for its location to University of Pittsburgh. It was conveniently located within walking distance for our tour of the school. After reading previous reviews, someone suggested bringing our own pillows. It was very helpful as we prefer firmer pillows.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Bill T, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us.

We will pass along your comments regarding the pillows to our Executive Housekeeper, we are thrilled that you you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope that if you ever choose to continue your child's education here, that you will choose our hotel again for visits!

Hilton Garden Inn Univ Place
Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This facility has a welcoming lobby, helpful staff at the front desk, a great fitness center, comfortable (and quiet) room accommodations, and is very convenient to local places of interest. The rooms are modern, clean and comfortable. I would definitely recommend this facility.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. Our entire hotel team devotes each day to our guests, and hearing that you had a positive experience when staying with us makes our work worthwhile. Thank you again for your choosing the Hilton Garden Inn and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to this area.

Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh Univ Place
Youngstown, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

The hotel was very nice inside, room was clean and staff was more than helpful. Eating at The Garden bar and grille was decent, food quality was average, pricing was a bit high but to be expected. It cost my wife and I around $40 with tip for a burger, deli style sandwich, two orders of fries and two fountain drinks. The biggest issue is the beds, it was possibly the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on. No amount of adjusting could make it better, we would likely not stay here again because of that.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Amanda j:

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered regarding the Garden Sleep System bedding package we offer. I assure you that your comments will be reviewed by our team members and we will implement corrective action where necessary. My hope is we will have the opportunity to make up for the issues you encountered and have you join us again in the near future.

Best,
Decature, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I just wanted to give credit where credit is due. I came in from Atlanta, which was a 10 hour drive and unfortunately, I did not have a good experience at check in, however, the next morning the issue was resolved by Sean Groth (AGM). He was kind, understanding, attentive and very empathetic to my situation. Not to mention the fabulously friendly front desk morning staff (Keisha, and Niecey). Those two are hilarious! They met me with smiles and that wonderful Hilton hospitality! Oh and last but not least, the morning valet attendants! They were so helpful and courteous! Keep up the excellent work guys! Your hard work will certainly pay off! See you in April!! --Shawnee from Decatur, GA

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Sean G, AGM at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Shauntelle C:

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. Our entire hotel team devotes each day to our guests, and hearing that one of our guests had an experience like yours, were several team members were able to make a personal impact on your time at our hotel makes our work worthwhile. I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered during check in; however, I am very pleased that you were happy with the resolution to the issue.

Yours truly in hospitality,
Mansfield, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I love HGI hotels. The adjustable beds and the comfortable rooms with a chair and ottoman are wonderful. Most have good restaurants as well. This hotel excelled in all these areas. But the pillows were lousy. 4 pillows all of which deflated to about an inch of thickness when you lied down upon them. Most other HGI hotels have pillows of varying thickness to allow you to find one comfortable for you. This Pittsburgh HGI is conveniently located near the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. But if you stay here, bring your own pillow.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place on your recent trip to the area. I am delighted to see that you were very pleased with your our location to many area businesses, restaurants and shops. I do apologize for the issues you encountered regarding our bedding pillows. We take our guest feedback very seriously and have implemented corrective action where necessary. We will be replenishing all the hotel pillows with a different brand in order to add the support and comfort needed.

Thank you again for your feedback, and for your business. I hope to see you again on your next trip to the Pittsburgh/Oakland area!

Yours truly in hospitality,
Danville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Very nice location, very nice lobby, staff in restaurant was great, BUT.............................beds were terrible (Rm 710). What's funny is when we first sat on them, they were hard as rock. Basically a mattress on a wooden frame. But by the morning, the mattress settled so bad that it created a creator that you got stuck in! And no, body weight had nothing to do with it. We are average size people. We stayed there on a reward stay and not sure if certain rooms are issued based on that fact. In addition, the room was very small and hard to maneuver around. The parking garage height restriction is 6' 2"! Really, even the Big Apple offers a bit more head space. I paid for valet parking but when leaving, the valet told be I could pick my SUV up across the street in the parking lot of the gas station (conveniently parked behind the hotel shuttle I had to maneuver around to get out). Great service and worth the valet fee, yeah right. I have been a diamond member of Hilton for years, lately I have had more bad stays at their lines of hotels than good. We are not hard to please, just want a comfortable room Hilton has been known for providing. I am really starting to think if you stay there on a reward stay, you get the not so good room.

Room Tip: Avoid room 710.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ken H:

Thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we are so sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your time with us. We strive to be the best at what we do and I would like to personally apologize for falling short of delivering a positive and overall satisfying experience. If you would please contact us directly, we will be more than happy to further discuss your stay with you.

Best,

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place? Share your experiences!