“Great place to stay for CMU/Pitt graduation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place

You added Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3454 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (Formerly Wyndham Pittsburgh University Place) (Central Oakland)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great place to stay for CMU/Pitt graduation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I put my parents in this hotel during my graduation last week. Overall it was fantastic except for a few little things, hence the 4 stars. You really can't beat the location and the attitude of the staff.

Pros: The staff give you the Marriott/Westin type of treatment when you check-in. The lobby is nice to sit in. Plenty of fresh cookies and fruit water is available. Our room had 2 queen beds in a somewhat cozy room but the bathroom was relatively large. Also, the physical condition of the room was pleasant; seems like the place was renovated. It's on Pitt's campus but about 1/2 mi from Soldier's & Sailor's memorial and CMU stadium.

Cons: Parking is $18/night for valet with no other options, so be prepared. (I moved their car to a friend's street for free and chauffeured them around myself.) My mom said that the bathroom was kind of dark. Lastly, I was irritated that the hotel shuttle kept taking the loading zone outside their lobby so that I had to wait for my folks in an illegal zone on the street - also got a nasty, rambling lecture from the valet guy about how he "did me a favor" telling me to get the hell away from the curb to avoid a ticket. That's what cost this hotel the 5th star for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for the feedback you provided regarding your experience. We take our comments very seriously and I assure your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement corrective action.

I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay an if there is any way we can make this up to you please do not hesitate to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com. We hope to have the chance to make this up to you and once again we are very sorry for the incident.

Best,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here for a conference and the walk ability to the University was great. Could easily come back to the room during lunch. Lobby is bright and cheerful and had a nice simple dinner in the bar area with TVs and internet access. A great way to relay after a long day a air travel. The bathroom was very clean and modern with a hot shower, extra soaps and good space. We had a large television and black out curtains. The room was perfectly made up when we returned at the end of the day. Front desk was very helpful, gave directions, arranged their shuttle to take us to a tourist site for dinner for free. Hotel was filled with parents of graduation and the ambiance was happy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I wanted to personally thank you for sharing feedback on your experience. One of the most important factors when selecting a hotel is the cleanliness of a property, and our team takes great pride in keeping both our guestrooms and public areas spotless for our valued guests. I am very pleased to hear that you were overall satisfied with your trip and that the location was a great fit.

We hope to see you again soon!

Allentown, PA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Pittsburgh due to a medical appointment at UPMC for my wife. This was something we were not looking forward to, but the staff at The Hilton Garden Inn made use feel at ease. The staff made sure the hotel was our home away from home. From making sure we knew exactly where to go for our medical appointment to recommending a great place for dinner, the staff took care of our needs. We are definitely staying again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

First and foremost I would like to personally thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the Pittsburgh/Oakland area. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we pride ourselves on delivering a true “Home away from Home” hospitable experience and I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Yours in hospitality,

Bradford, Pa.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was a clean room, smelled great but the beds were terrible. So hard I could not sleep. There was a control to adjust firmness but did not seem to work. I would never stay here again because of that. There was a microwave and frig but no paper plates or silverware. Does not address the needs of travelers. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
First and foremost I would like to personally thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to the Pittsburgh/Oakland area. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we pride ourselves on delivering a hospitable experience. I would like to apologize for the issues you encounteres and hope to have the chance to make this up to you in the near future.

Yours in hospitality,

Belleville, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The shuttle valet and front desk staff were great. The parking is very expensive for the area. There really aren't any ammenities. I received a skin rash on arms and legs. I am pretty sure this was from the sheets. or BED BUGS!!! Grosse. EVen though the hotel appeared to be pretty clean. I now remember why I used to sleep fully clothed head to toe.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a great place to stay in Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood. My room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. I was able to set the temperature of the room, a very important detail for me, to the exact level I prefer for sleeping. I like it cold :) The staff was very pleasant and helpful starting with the friendly valet who parked our car to the pleasant girl who checked me in. I noticed the alarm clock radio in my room didn't work and maintenance brought me a new one within ten minutes of my calling the front desk. And at breakfast at the hotel's restaurant when I ordered pancakes out waitress asked what size I wanted them. Never been asked that before :) A good location as this place is within walking distance to plenty of restaurants and bars, and they also provide a shuttle to take you pretty much anywhere in the city. I would definitely reccommend this hotel for anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. Our entire hotel team devotes each day to our guests, and hearing that one of our guests had an experience like yours, were several team members were able to make a personal impact on your time at our hotel makes our work worthwhile. My hope is we will have the opportunity to have you join us again in the near future.

Yours truly in hospitality,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is a great place to stay in Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood. My room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. I was able to set the temperature of the room, a very important detail for me, to the exact level I prefer for sleeping. I like it cold :) The staff was very pleasant and helpful starting with the friendly valet who parked our car to the pleasant girl who checked me in. I noticed the alarm clock radio in my room didn't work and maintenance brought me a new one within ten minutes of my calling the front desk. Within walking distance to plenty of restaurants and bars as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place on your recent trip to the area. I am pleased to see that you were very pleased with your overall experience, and that although you encountered a problem with you alram clock our maintanence team was able to resolve this quickly.

Once again, thank you again for your feedback, and for your business.

Yours in Hospitality,

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place? Share your experiences!