“Small rooms with terrible beds” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place

You added Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3454 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (Formerly Wyndham Pittsburgh University Place) (Central Oakland)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
PA
“Small rooms with terrible beds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights while visiting The University of Pittsburg and Carnegie Mellon University with my two sons. It is centrally located and very close to the Pitt campus. It is also close to restaurants and a gas station and a CVS is next door. The parking garage is adjacent to the hotel, but if you have an SUV that is taller than 6'2", your vehicle will not fit through the clearance beams. There is valet parking, but you still need to somehow get your vehicle through. We arrived late and our room was ready for us. Upon entering, we all noticed a strong smell of cleaning solvent. While unpacking my son took his shoes off and was walking around and stepped on a wet, stained spot on the carpet. It was from this stain that the smell was coming from. Obviously, someone had spilled something on the carpet and was trying to clean it up.The room was very small and crammed. The beds were small and definitely not queen size. They were extremely uncomfortable and was probably the worst night sleep I ever got. The room was stuffy and the bathroom did not have an exhaust fan which was very uncomfortable. We will not be staying here again in the future. I will spend a few extra dollars to be comfortable and not be grossed out with a dirty carpet.

• Stayed November 2012
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for the feedback you provided regarding yours stay. We take our comments very serriously and I assure your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement corrective action.
I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay an if there is anyway we can make this up to you please do not hesitate to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Turkish first
Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were visiting colleges in Pittsburgh and this hotel is very convenient to both University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie-Mellon University, and somewhat convenient to Duquesne University. Overall, the room was comfortable and clean and the service was very good. The restaurant was good for dinner, but we felt the breakfast buffet was overpriced and just mediocre. Most restaurants these days offer a free breakfast. Parking was expensive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we always strive to be the best and take your feedback very serious. I am delighted to hear that the overall service met your expectations and that you were very pleased with your overall stay. I do apologize for the parking charges; however, space is very limited in the Pittsburgh/Oakland area and we do our best to accommodate our guest needs. Your feedback is much appreciated and I assure all of your comments will be shared with all of my team member’s. I appreciate your time and look forward to servicing you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.
Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I went for a long weekend to visit our son at Carnegie Mellon.This was our first time in Pittsburgh. The hotel was well located and easy to find in our airport rental car. Figuring out the hotel's entrance was another story. Even though HGIs are "value priced" hotels, you would expect to be able to pull up front to a covered entrance foyer, get out of the car and hand over the keys to the valet. This is especially nice when your are disabled and it is raining. We arrived ~ 11 PM, tried that, only to find no one, and a sign taped to the front door that said after _? o'clock, use ramp. The ramp is an ungodly steep affair, leading up a floor where the valets and front desk are waiting. Problem there is, the flat "landing" at the top of the ramp only fit one car. Nearly every time we returned to the hotel, the landing was taken, and the attendants would motion for us to leave the car there, and "they would take care of everything". Problem there is, I can't safely navigate steep inclines using my cane, and trying to get in my wheelchair is even more perilous.

Sooo..., we always had to wait on the ramp "next up", until the car in front was driven up into the lot, we could pull up onto the landing, where I could exit safely.

Big, unsafe, embarrassing hassle, and probably not ADA compliant.

Once inside, the hotel was what we had come to expect from Hilton...very good. One of the two main elevators broke down for a day, and our room had a noisy refrigerator. Both items were fixed within a day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we always strive to be the best and take your feedback very serious. I am delighted to hear that the overall service met your expectations and that you were very pleased with your overall stay. Your feedback is much appreciated and I assure all comments and/or concerns will be shared with all of my team member’s ensuring we implement the correct changes to make sure all of our guests leave satisfied.
I appreciate your time and look forward to serving you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.
Montoursville, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel.The staff was courteous, the room was clean, and it was located close to all that we were interested in doing while in Pittsburgh. Would recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we always strive to be the best and take your feedback very serious. I am delighted to hear that the overall service met your expectations and that you were very pleased with your overall stay. Your feedback is much appreciated and I assure all of your comments will be shared with all of my team member’s. I appreciate your time and look forward to servicing you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.
Southwestern US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here for a visit to Univ of Pittsburgh. Ten minute walk to most of campus. Hotel had nice beds, very clean bathrooms, decent workout room, pleasant staff. Breakfast was pricey, $12.95 per person before tax and trip. Skipped that but we found several excellent alternatives a short walk east on Forbes. (About 2 blocks east, we ate at Bruegger's Bagels- $20 for breakfast sandwich & drinks for 4) Parking was high- $18, so we parked at garage immediately adjacent (look east past the gas station and you can see the 4-5 story structure within 1/2 a block) for $9. Good free coffee in the lobby in morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here along with several professional colleagues seeking a different place to stay on the PItt campus. Perhaps due to its Wyndham heritage this hotel looks and feels more "full service" than other HGI. I did not have occasion to use the restaurant which seems to need improvement based on some reviews. However, all other aspects of my stay (and that of others) exceeded expectations and the HGI was actually priced less online than lesser competitors like the Holiday Inn Express. The room was comfortably and quietly heated, beds and pillows reasonably fresh, and the front desk/bell staff couldn't have been more courteous and helpful. It was nice to have a mini fridge and microwave in the room as well. The only issue is with whoever designed the bathroom. The door is large and heavy and there is no way to prop it open for ventilation without using a luggage item or some other heavy object. There is no fan in the bathroom so you need to do this to avoid fogging the mirrors. And I have never seen a toilet paper holder 3 feet away from the toilet (e.g. grab a handful before you sit down). Weird. But comparing these nits to a negative service experience elsewhere, I'll definitely be back to the HGI next visit to Oakland.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
I appreciate your time and look forward to serviceing you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.

Best,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for a wedding. Rooms were nice, clean, and modern with all the standard amenities.

However, the wedding we were with had its own, separate shuttle for wedding guests. The hotel staff knew nothing about this and led us to believe that we needed to make a reservation on the hotel shuttle, which caused considerable confusion amongst our party. The staff should be better informed of these matters.

Additionally, I think this hotel was far too expensive for what we received. $17 for valet in Pittsburgh is outrageous, especially when there is a $5/day garage one block away.

• Stayed October 2012
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, October 9, 2012

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place? Share your experiences!