“Decent hotel, convenient location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place

You added Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3454 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (Formerly Wyndham Pittsburgh University Place) (Central Oakland)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Southwestern US
“Decent hotel, convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed here for a visit to Univ of Pittsburgh. Ten minute walk to most of campus. Hotel had nice beds, very clean bathrooms, decent workout room, pleasant staff. Breakfast was pricey, $12.95 per person before tax and trip. Skipped that but we found several excellent alternatives a short walk east on Forbes. (About 2 blocks east, we ate at Bruegger's Bagels- $20 for breakfast sandwich & drinks for 4) Parking was high- $18, so we parked at garage immediately adjacent (look east past the gas station and you can see the 4-5 story structure within 1/2 a block) for $9. Good free coffee in the lobby in morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent visit. Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place we always strive to be the best and take your feedback very serious. I am delighted to hear that the overall service met your expectations and that you were very pleased with your overall stay. Your feedback is much appreciated and I assure all comments and/or concerns will be shared with all of my team member’s ensuring we implement the correct changes to make sure all of our guests leave satisfied.
I appreciate your time and look forward to servicing you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Turkish first
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here along with several professional colleagues seeking a different place to stay on the PItt campus. Perhaps due to its Wyndham heritage this hotel looks and feels more "full service" than other HGI. I did not have occasion to use the restaurant which seems to need improvement based on some reviews. However, all other aspects of my stay (and that of others) exceeded expectations and the HGI was actually priced less online than lesser competitors like the Holiday Inn Express. The room was comfortably and quietly heated, beds and pillows reasonably fresh, and the front desk/bell staff couldn't have been more courteous and helpful. It was nice to have a mini fridge and microwave in the room as well. The only issue is with whoever designed the bathroom. The door is large and heavy and there is no way to prop it open for ventilation without using a luggage item or some other heavy object. There is no fan in the bathroom so you need to do this to avoid fogging the mirrors. And I have never seen a toilet paper holder 3 feet away from the toilet (e.g. grab a handful before you sit down). Weird. But comparing these nits to a negative service experience elsewhere, I'll definitely be back to the HGI next visit to Oakland.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
I appreciate your time and look forward to serviceing you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.

Best,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for a wedding. Rooms were nice, clean, and modern with all the standard amenities.

However, the wedding we were with had its own, separate shuttle for wedding guests. The hotel staff knew nothing about this and led us to believe that we needed to make a reservation on the hotel shuttle, which caused considerable confusion amongst our party. The staff should be better informed of these matters.

Additionally, I think this hotel was far too expensive for what we received. $17 for valet in Pittsburgh is outrageous, especially when there is a $5/day garage one block away.

• Stayed October 2012
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for the feedback you provided regarding yours stay. We take our comments very serriously and I assure your comments will be shared with the appropriate managers and team members in order to implement corrective action.
I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay an if there is anyway we can make this up to you please do not hesitate to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Located near the hospital this was a perfect location and the room was adequate. The valet staff and the wait staff were friendly and helpful. My dining experience was not favorable. If you don't have a car and must dine here I would suggest ordering starters, as they were better than the meal. The rolls were stale, the steak tough, and the burger not cooked to order. The Manager removed my meal from the check and I went without my dinner. The room cleaning was not the best. We stayed several nights and the room service varied from day to day. It appear that they were short staffed. I would still suggest this hotel if you need to be near the hospital.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of you recent experience at the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. I would like to personally apologize for the issues you encountered throughout your stay. I am very glad to hear that the manager at the time removed the charge from your bill; however, I apologize for the lack of food quality you received during your dining experience. We take our comments very seriously and I assure you that your concerns will be addressed with the appropriate staff members. If there is anything at all I can do to make this up to you please feel free to reach out to me at any time. I appreciate your time and hope you will consider using our hotel again the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

I love this hotel!! The staff, setting and environment is perfect for visiting friends and family in Pittsburgh!! I will definitely be coming back here in the future. From the moment we arrived, the valets were very welcoming, front desk agents were helpful and courteous and really knowledgeable of the area. The housekeeping staff was very warm and kind as well - the staff in the restaurant and bar were great too!!

• Stayed September 2012
Sean G, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to inform us on the wonderful experience you had during your visit to the Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place. We are pleased that you were very satisfied with the overall experience and service you received. At our hotel as well as Hilton Worldwide we strive for perfection and anything else is unacceptable. I appreciate your time and look forward to serving you the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

The only way this hotel could be any better is if they had a pool. Very clean, managers are helpful and the staff goes out of their way to make each trip enjoyable. Parking is only valet but prices run similar to rest of the city.

• Stayed September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent visit. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay during your visit. At our hotel as well as Hilton Worldwide we strive to be the best and anything else is unacceptable. I appreciate your time and look forward to servicing you again the next time you are in the Pittsburgh/Oakland, PA area.

Best,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in Oakland as we were passing through town and wanted to spend time with our daughter who is a student at Pitt. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean and staff was friendly but I don't think I would stay here again because of
the noise. The room next to us was booked with way too many girls...must have been a bachelorette party...who promptly came in at 2 am and brought the party with them. Earlier in the day, we could hear their conversation in the room, so you can imagine how loud their party voices were. I called the front desk and they did send security up to calm them down. However. The room on the other side of us had a very "active" couple and we could hear everything....kind of hard to call security on that one! Until they do something to sound proof the rooms, I will have to take my business elsewhere.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our new look, but apologize for the experience you encountered regarding the noise from surrounding rooms. Our goal is to ensure every guest feels welcome and experiences a pleasant and comforatble visit. We take our comments very serriously and I assure you that I will share your feedback with the appropriate managers and team members.
Once again, I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Please do feel free to contact me at sean.groth@hilton.com if i can be of any further assistance.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh University Place? Share your experiences!