“Worst hotel experience. Don't make the same mistake I did.” 1 of 5 stars

Dutch Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   500 E. Main St., Palmyra, PA 17078   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Palmyra
Millstone, New Jersey, United States
“Worst hotel experience. Don't make the same mistake I did.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel through Expedia. When I arrived I checked in with a woman who barely spoke any English and charged me twice for my room. I was told I had to wait ten minutes until the manager came so they could refund me. When I went to the room the toilet wouldn't fill up with water. Fine - I'll ask for another room when the manager comes. An HOUR later the manager arrives and refunds my purchase. I ask for another room and she yells at me, telling me the toilet is fine, the water was turned off. She was going to follow me up to the room to turn on the water but decided she was too tired and gave me a different room. After I went in, the phone rang and it was the manager saying that I had paid for two people but I needed to pay for three. I was staying with my boyfriend and we had come to visit my sister at Lebanon Valley College. I told the manager there were only two of us - my sister was staying in her dorm. She accused me of lying and berated me further. I finally hung up, on the verge of tears. I have never been so humiliated or uncomfortable when I had done NOTHING wrong.

Please do not visit this motel. It will definitely put a damper on your visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
East Brookfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had a great time! Cetrally located to reataurants and shoppes. Our daughter Janica and I had a great time in the pool.Good rates and the beds were comfortable and clean. Because of the reasonable rastes we had more money to spend on our vacation. We are looking forward to going back soon. We stayed in room 118 and it is so close to the pool. Had a pleasant stay Janica Janica and Russell in Massachusetts

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my family because it was close to Hershey Park...payed 118 bucks...I feel completely ripped off. The first room we were in was the size of a large closet..the TV did not work so we asked the front desk to repair. We went out for three hours, came back and two people were sitting on the beds attempting to fix the tv. When we requested another room we were told the tv would be fixed in about 30 minutes and to come back. We told them we did not know the area and could not continue to drive around. We requested another room and the woman said no initially. She pleaded with us to wait until her son arrived to fix the tv. We finally put our foot down and told her we needed a room now, especially for the money we paid. The second room is larger than the first closet but it doesn't have a microwave and the bathroom looks like it was attacked by a wild animal. Defiantly a memorable family vacation. Honestly wish I had read these reviews prior to coming.

• Stayed August 2013
Spring Valley, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I’m writing to you about my recent stay at the Dutch Motel in Palmyra, PA. It was the worst experience of my life! Even before I booked this hotel- there was a problem.I called the hotel directly and asked the woman at the front desk if there were rooms available for a certain weekend. Without hesitation she screamed at me "NO ROOMS" and hung up on me.-however, online it said that rooms were available- so I booked it.When I got to the hotel- I was told to fill out a slip with my name, address,phone # &car information and sign the bottom.She didn't ask for my credit card or ID- which I thought was strange.We were given Room 121.The pillows were yellow, yellow-orange stains on the sheets, toilet ran all night&you couldn't flush it- sink faucet was impossible to pull up & get water out of-the lamp shade still had the plastic on from the store- toilet paper was old, musty, smelly and hard- towels had stains on them&so worn out that you could see thru them-the only up to date item in the room was the flat screen tv on the wall.We were so grossed out-that we slept with no pillows- did not even attempt to shower&use one of the towels- and I made the mistake of walking around barefoot&almost got a nail in my foot.That night I recived a phone call at 1:30AM from the Dutch Motel woman-asking if we were checking in.I told her that we already did-but she went on&on about how we didnt check in.She wasn't making complete sentences -therefore not making any sense whatsoever.It had NOTHING to do with the fact she has an accent. We checked out of the hotel the next morning&the woman told me that we had booked 2 rooms-which was completely false.Again,she wasn't making any sense-I asked if I was charged 2 times&she went on&on about swiping my card-but it didn’t go thru&how she called me last night&to check my bank account because I booked thru the Magnuson Hotels website. I just checked my online bank statement this morning&she charged me 2 times for the room.I called the hotel&she immediately knew which room I was calling about & told me this story about how shes calling the Magnuson Hotels website-but they haven’t called her back yet&she will credit me in 30 minutes. I travel a lot, and I stay in all sorts of hotels and motels- but this is by far the WORST place I have ever stayed. I am in shock how unprofessional they are and I will never again stay at this motel. My friends and I travel to Hershey Park at least once a year- and I will inform everyone to avoid this place. I will be calling the Dutch Motel back in 30 minutes to see if I have been credited- if not I will be contacting my bank and the BBB immediately.

Room Tip: if the rooms are anything like the one i stayed in (room 121) then they are all horrible.- UNLESS u...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thurmont, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This Motel is in dire need of repair and remodeling. The double room we stayed in was dark and musty smelling. There was a lingering cigarette odor even though it is non-smoking room. The ceilings in main room and bath area were painted over with some sort of “stucco” type material(probably to cover water damage)and this material/paint covered the “heat lamp” in the bathroom as well. We had to ask front desk for ice(no ice machine) and she gave us a small baggie and said we could buy larger bags at the nearby Weis market. The towels and wash cloths were obviously aged, stained, thin/worn, and very rough to touch. The comforters were obviously old and although the sheets smelled clean, there were no fitted sheets. The sheets also had some stains as well and when we were getting ready to sleep, we started seeing a few small brown rod-shaped bugs, not bed bugs, but they were under the covers and sheets. I could not let my daughter, her friend, my friend and I spend the night in a place where we were unsure just how many more of these insects were hidden. We checked out at 1:30am and a sleepy woman seemed puzzled by our explanation. The only good things about the motel was a nice TV with cable channels and the pool water itself appeared very clean. The pool area however was not kept up and cushions on the chairs and the umbrellas were definitely worn out by being left outside during all kinds of weather. One of the pool ladders was poorly re-cemented and was very shaky. My last complaint is that when we checked in, I noticed that the woman swiped my card twice, and I made a mental note to check my account. There is still a double charge on my e-statement and I have called the motel twice who assured me that she took the charges off of my card. My next call is to my bank and then to the BBB. Avoid this motel if possible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

this motel was by far the most disgusting place i have ever had to sleep in my entire life. the room had a suspicious door that obviously could not be properly locked so a useless mini fridge and microwave had to be used. the towels had numerous holes and the toilet was not properly working. the toilet paper was more like cardboard and the shower was exremely difficult to turn on. also, the people in the other rooms were very creepy and were constantly talking about smoking bongs and/or talking to themselves. my friends and i did NOT feel safe, so much so that two of us had to stay up all night because we felt that unsafe, with a chair under the door. the window could easily be pushed in from the outside. the air conditioning was extremely faulty. the amount of flies and bugs that were in our room is digusting. not to mention the service. the neighborhood was very sketchy and i was scared for my life. the quality of this hotel is awful and this whole building should soon be shut down. the owner was extremely rude and took advantage of our young age to try and manipulate us into paying more money. she was screaming im our faces and said we were lying to her about the amount of people staying in the room when EVERYTHING she was claiming is a lie. in order to try and get more money out a TERRIBLE motel, she was intent on charging more money on our credit card. after reading these reviews, we will be checking our credit card because we are very suspicious that they will charge us more than what was said to us. PLEASE STAY AWAY AND I RECOMMEND EXTREME CAUTION.
P.S. this owner does NOT speak english and either truly does not understand what people are saying or did and was pretending that she didnt. DONT EVER STAY HERE.

• Stayed July 2013
Oxford, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just your run of the mill average motel. The room was your typical motel room; bed, table and chairs, tv, fridge, and bathroom. The carpeting in the room looked like it had seen better days but was pleasently suprised on how clean the bathroom and shower were. The newest thing in the room was the flat panel tv mounted to the wall. Like i said, you get what you pay for. Espically if you are looking for a cheap place and don't want to pay the outrageous rates the other hotels in the area charge due to their closeness to Hersehy Park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Dutch Motel? Share your experiences!