“Avoid this place if possible!” 1 of 5 stars

Dutch Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   500 E. Main St., Palmyra, PA 17078   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Palmyra
Thurmont, Maryland, United States
“Avoid this place if possible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This Motel is in dire need of repair and remodeling. The double room we stayed in was dark and musty smelling. There was a lingering cigarette odor even though it is non-smoking room. The ceilings in main room and bath area were painted over with some sort of “stucco” type material(probably to cover water damage)and this material/paint covered the “heat lamp” in the bathroom as well. We had to ask front desk for ice(no ice machine) and she gave us a small baggie and said we could buy larger bags at the nearby Weis market. The towels and wash cloths were obviously aged, stained, thin/worn, and very rough to touch. The comforters were obviously old and although the sheets smelled clean, there were no fitted sheets. The sheets also had some stains as well and when we were getting ready to sleep, we started seeing a few small brown rod-shaped bugs, not bed bugs, but they were under the covers and sheets. I could not let my daughter, her friend, my friend and I spend the night in a place where we were unsure just how many more of these insects were hidden. We checked out at 1:30am and a sleepy woman seemed puzzled by our explanation. The only good things about the motel was a nice TV with cable channels and the pool water itself appeared very clean. The pool area however was not kept up and cushions on the chairs and the umbrellas were definitely worn out by being left outside during all kinds of weather. One of the pool ladders was poorly re-cemented and was very shaky. My last complaint is that when we checked in, I noticed that the woman swiped my card twice, and I made a mental note to check my account. There is still a double charge on my e-statement and I have called the motel twice who assured me that she took the charges off of my card. My next call is to my bank and then to the BBB. Avoid this motel if possible.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

this motel was by far the most disgusting place i have ever had to sleep in my entire life. the room had a suspicious door that obviously could not be properly locked so a useless mini fridge and microwave had to be used. the towels had numerous holes and the toilet was not properly working. the toilet paper was more like cardboard and the shower was exremely difficult to turn on. also, the people in the other rooms were very creepy and were constantly talking about smoking bongs and/or talking to themselves. my friends and i did NOT feel safe, so much so that two of us had to stay up all night because we felt that unsafe, with a chair under the door. the window could easily be pushed in from the outside. the air conditioning was extremely faulty. the amount of flies and bugs that were in our room is digusting. not to mention the service. the neighborhood was very sketchy and i was scared for my life. the quality of this hotel is awful and this whole building should soon be shut down. the owner was extremely rude and took advantage of our young age to try and manipulate us into paying more money. she was screaming im our faces and said we were lying to her about the amount of people staying in the room when EVERYTHING she was claiming is a lie. in order to try and get more money out a TERRIBLE motel, she was intent on charging more money on our credit card. after reading these reviews, we will be checking our credit card because we are very suspicious that they will charge us more than what was said to us. PLEASE STAY AWAY AND I RECOMMEND EXTREME CAUTION.
P.S. this owner does NOT speak english and either truly does not understand what people are saying or did and was pretending that she didnt. DONT EVER STAY HERE.

• Stayed July 2013
Oxford, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just your run of the mill average motel. The room was your typical motel room; bed, table and chairs, tv, fridge, and bathroom. The carpeting in the room looked like it had seen better days but was pleasently suprised on how clean the bathroom and shower were. The newest thing in the room was the flat panel tv mounted to the wall. Like i said, you get what you pay for. Espically if you are looking for a cheap place and don't want to pay the outrageous rates the other hotels in the area charge due to their closeness to Hersehy Park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I reserved a room (king bedroom) through Priceline for the Dutch Motel. Upon arriving to check in, the woman in the office (who barely spoke English) couldn't find our reservation. My first name is Lauren and she had a reservation for another person named Lauren (with a different last name) from Expedia. She kept trying to convince me it way my reservation! Sorry lady, but I think I know my own name! When I showed her the conformation email on my phone, she said "That's fine, but I don't have a reservation for you." She then made a phone call to who she believed to be Priceline so I could explain the problem, and the woman on the phone told me she was from Expedia and she couldn't help me. After I hung up, and felt quite stupid, I told the woman in the office AGAIN that I booked trough Priceline. She tried convincing me that Priceline and Expedia were he same thing! We decided to leave and go elsewhere. Can't comment on the condition of the rooms because we didn't even make it that far!! Head a bit farther down the road and go elsewhere, it'll be worth it to save yourself the frustration!

Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I had an interview at the Penn state school of medicine which is why I booked at this motel. The owner of the motel was so friendly. She actually provided me a ride during the day of my interview to the school of medicine and then later on provided me a ride back to the airport. the rooms were alright and better than average.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stay away!!! Dirty rooms, threadbare towels and sheets, rude and dishonest office staff/owners. I booked online while on the road to Hershey for an overnight trip. Unfortunately, I didn't find the reviews of this place until I had already prepaid my reservation. The hotel is a decent distance from the attractions, but I think the neighborhood could be rather scary at night. I entered the office (which is being remodeled) and waited for the lady behind the counter to decide to talk to me (she wasn't doing anything else). I told her I had a reservation and she ignored that and handed me a registration card to fill out. Then she confirmed I had reserved a king size bed (which I had) for two nights (I only booked for one night). I corrected her and she told me the total for the one night would be 54.50, which was 10.00 cheaper than online. She swiped my card and I signed. I was handed a key and went to the room. Summary of room - tiny, no phone, no coffeemaker, no smoke detector or sprinkler, hair on floor in bathroom. I would not let my suitcase stay on the floor for fear of what was lurking there. The towels and sheets are in desperate need of replacement. There was a refrigerator and a flat panel tv and Directv (no HBO). I checked out the next day and got home and decided I had better check my credit card. They had double charged me (once from the online booking site and once when they swiped my card). After 3 calls to the booking site and a call directly to the hotel, I think I am finally getting one charge credited back. The call to the hotel was an experience- the lady could not/would not understand any of the information that I gave her so I had to repeat myself 3 times. I made her repeat back my name and phone number when she said she would have to call me back. When I spoke to her a second time, she hung up on me when I told her that I didn't catch a thing she said. I called back and she said she had refunded the 54.50 to my credit card. I'll be checking my online statement until I actually see it. They also kept lying to the booking site and saying they had not double charged me. Summary of the entire experience - AWFUL.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chittenango, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This motel had a few things going for it:
1. The price - $49 with breakfast, per night
2. No bed bugs I could find
3. Free parking
It had a lot against it, though. The room I stayed in was explicitly marked "Non-Smoking", but it REEKED of smoke, and my clothes smelled of smoke when I came home. The proprietor was not helpful, terse is the best way to describe my check-in. No info was provided on the room, breakfast, supposed wi-fi availability (never managed to find that), check-out time, pool hours, etc. She was somewhat more friendly in the morning when I went looking for coffee/breakfast. The bed was hard, the pillows were hard, the chairs and tabletops were somewhat sticky, the room was dark and small. As I say - the price was right, and I don't seem to have brought home any bugs, but I wouldn't stay there again unless it is greatly improved.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dutch Motel? Share your experiences!