“this place was DISGUSTING.” 1 of 5 stars

You added Dutch Motel to your Saves list
Dutch Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   500 E. Main St., Palmyra, PA 17078   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Palmyra
“this place was DISGUSTING.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

this motel was by far the most disgusting place i have ever had to sleep in my entire life. the room had a suspicious door that obviously could not be properly locked so a useless mini fridge and microwave had to be used. the towels had numerous holes and the toilet was not properly working. the toilet paper was more like cardboard and the shower was exremely difficult to turn on. also, the people in the other rooms were very creepy and were constantly talking about smoking bongs and/or talking to themselves. my friends and i did NOT feel safe, so much so that two of us had to stay up all night because we felt that unsafe, with a chair under the door. the window could easily be pushed in from the outside. the air conditioning was extremely faulty. the amount of flies and bugs that were in our room is digusting. not to mention the service. the neighborhood was very sketchy and i was scared for my life. the quality of this hotel is awful and this whole building should soon be shut down. the owner was extremely rude and took advantage of our young age to try and manipulate us into paying more money. she was screaming im our faces and said we were lying to her about the amount of people staying in the room when EVERYTHING she was claiming is a lie. in order to try and get more money out a TERRIBLE motel, she was intent on charging more money on our credit card. after reading these reviews, we will be checking our credit card because we are very suspicious that they will charge us more than what was said to us. PLEASE STAY AWAY AND I RECOMMEND EXTREME CAUTION.
P.S. this owner does NOT speak english and either truly does not understand what people are saying or did and was pretending that she didnt. DONT EVER STAY HERE.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oxford, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just your run of the mill average motel. The room was your typical motel room; bed, table and chairs, tv, fridge, and bathroom. The carpeting in the room looked like it had seen better days but was pleasently suprised on how clean the bathroom and shower were. The newest thing in the room was the flat panel tv mounted to the wall. Like i said, you get what you pay for. Espically if you are looking for a cheap place and don't want to pay the outrageous rates the other hotels in the area charge due to their closeness to Hersehy Park.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My boyfriend and I reserved a room (king bedroom) through Priceline for the Dutch Motel. Upon arriving to check in, the woman in the office (who barely spoke English) couldn't find our reservation. My first name is Lauren and she had a reservation for another person named Lauren (with a different last name) from Expedia. She kept trying to convince me it way my reservation! Sorry lady, but I think I know my own name! When I showed her the conformation email on my phone, she said "That's fine, but I don't have a reservation for you." She then made a phone call to who she believed to be Priceline so I could explain the problem, and the woman on the phone told me she was from Expedia and she couldn't help me. After I hung up, and felt quite stupid, I told the woman in the office AGAIN that I booked trough Priceline. She tried convincing me that Priceline and Expedia were he same thing! We decided to leave and go elsewhere. Can't comment on the condition of the rooms because we didn't even make it that far!! Head a bit farther down the road and go elsewhere, it'll be worth it to save yourself the frustration!

Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I had an interview at the Penn state school of medicine which is why I booked at this motel. The owner of the motel was so friendly. She actually provided me a ride during the day of my interview to the school of medicine and then later on provided me a ride back to the airport. the rooms were alright and better than average.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stay away!!! Dirty rooms, threadbare towels and sheets, rude and dishonest office staff/owners. I booked online while on the road to Hershey for an overnight trip. Unfortunately, I didn't find the reviews of this place until I had already prepaid my reservation. The hotel is a decent distance from the attractions, but I think the neighborhood could be rather scary at night. I entered the office (which is being remodeled) and waited for the lady behind the counter to decide to talk to me (she wasn't doing anything else). I told her I had a reservation and she ignored that and handed me a registration card to fill out. Then she confirmed I had reserved a king size bed (which I had) for two nights (I only booked for one night). I corrected her and she told me the total for the one night would be 54.50, which was 10.00 cheaper than online. She swiped my card and I signed. I was handed a key and went to the room. Summary of room - tiny, no phone, no coffeemaker, no smoke detector or sprinkler, hair on floor in bathroom. I would not let my suitcase stay on the floor for fear of what was lurking there. The towels and sheets are in desperate need of replacement. There was a refrigerator and a flat panel tv and Directv (no HBO). I checked out the next day and got home and decided I had better check my credit card. They had double charged me (once from the online booking site and once when they swiped my card). After 3 calls to the booking site and a call directly to the hotel, I think I am finally getting one charge credited back. The call to the hotel was an experience- the lady could not/would not understand any of the information that I gave her so I had to repeat myself 3 times. I made her repeat back my name and phone number when she said she would have to call me back. When I spoke to her a second time, she hung up on me when I told her that I didn't catch a thing she said. I called back and she said she had refunded the 54.50 to my credit card. I'll be checking my online statement until I actually see it. They also kept lying to the booking site and saying they had not double charged me. Summary of the entire experience - AWFUL.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chittenango, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This motel had a few things going for it:
1. The price - $49 with breakfast, per night
2. No bed bugs I could find
3. Free parking
It had a lot against it, though. The room I stayed in was explicitly marked "Non-Smoking", but it REEKED of smoke, and my clothes smelled of smoke when I came home. The proprietor was not helpful, terse is the best way to describe my check-in. No info was provided on the room, breakfast, supposed wi-fi availability (never managed to find that), check-out time, pool hours, etc. She was somewhat more friendly in the morning when I went looking for coffee/breakfast. The bed was hard, the pillows were hard, the chairs and tabletops were somewhat sticky, the room was dark and small. As I say - the price was right, and I don't seem to have brought home any bugs, but I wouldn't stay there again unless it is greatly improved.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Glen Burnie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last summer for a trip to Hershey Park. The room was clean, maybe just a little outdated. We cannot really rate the linens and pillows because we always bring our own. Not too much experience with the front desk, since we booked online and I just gave her my reservation confirmation page, ID and credit card. She handed us the key and pointed us in the direction of the room. Simple enough :)
The hotel served its purpose for us, and we will be staying there again this weekend for another trip to Hershey Park. I hope I can submit a positive review after this visit!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Dutch Motel? Share your experiences!