“Under new management, needs work” 2 of 5 stars

Dutch Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   500 E. Main St., Palmyra, PA 17078   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Palmyra
Chittenango, New York
“Under new management, needs work”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This motel had a few things going for it:
1. The price - $49 with breakfast, per night
2. No bed bugs I could find
. Free parking
It had a lot against it, though. The room I stayed in was explicitly marked "Non-Smoking", but it REEKED of smoke, and my clothes smelled of smoke when I came home. The proprietor was not helpful, terse is the best way to describe my check-in. No info was provided on the room, breakfast, supposed wi-fi availability (never managed to find that), check-out time, pool hours, etc. She was somewhat more friendly in the morning when I went looking for coffee/breakfast. The bed was hard, the pillows were hard, the chairs and tabletops were somewhat sticky, the room was dark and small. As I say - the price was right, and I don't seem to have brought home any bugs, but I wouldn't stay there again unless it is greatly improved.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Glen Burnie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last summer for a trip to Hershey Park. The room was clean, maybe just a little outdated. We cannot really rate the linens and pillows because we always bring our own. Not too much experience with the front desk, since we booked online and I just gave her my reservation confirmation page, ID and credit card. She handed us the key and pointed us in the direction of the room. Simple enough :)
The hotel served its purpose for us, and we will be staying there again this weekend for another trip to Hershey Park. I hope I can submit a positive review after this visit!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Scranton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Went to check into out room after a fun day at the park, 11:00pm...the lady behind the desk couldn't speak engish, she just kept standing there saying she didn't have any more rooms!!! I called the day before to confirm my reservation and all was good. My husband called around 4:00pm the day of our check in to say we would be checking in late after the park closed,lady said no problem. Got to the hotel no room! She called a room and mde a guy come down and was trying to kick him out of the room, sayibg it was our room..The worst thing is she charged his room to my credit card!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! needless to say we drove home. DON"T STAY HERE AND WATCH YOUR CREDIT CARD!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

There were blood stains on the top sheets!!! They did not even apologize. Everything was dirty and hairs found all over the sheets and bathroom. The bathroom was not clean. The owners are not polite at all. We asked for a new blanket and that took like 30 mins for them to get to us and they only had a top sheet to give. They did not pick up their leaves and there was rustling at 4 in the morning that woke us up. It sounded like pouring rain. We are calling the Dept. of Health as this place is disgusting!!! DO NOT COME!!! 0 out of 5 STARS!!!

Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

rooms were not very clean the toilet ran all night long, bed were very uncomfortable and squeaky. Got a hassle everytime i asked for clean towels (3) small towels for 4 people 2adults and 2 teens. cable tv kept going out. very poor lighting in room. wireless internet code they gave us did not work charged my daughter a $10.00 deposit for a computer cable but they did refund it upon checkout. soda machine gave out wrong sodas. pool was ok. the only good thing about this motel i the short drive to Hershey Park.

vt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Yes, it is true. This place is very bad. It looks nice outside, but...
My daughter and I were n our way back from FL. We stayed in this motel for one night. I checked the review of another website, and most of them praised this motel. We got there very late (3am). The "woman" charged me $15.00 more than she should and told me when I called earlier, but we were very tired. When we entered to the room, the window was open. it had a nasty musky/mold/cigarette odor(s) I used my cellphone to check tripadvisor's reviews. I got scared. I checked the bed and blankets for bed bugs. I couldn't find any, but I am not an expert. Next morning my daughter has 6 bugs bites in her legs and right foot. My daughter and I slept w our cloth on. I had a long jeans, and she had bermuda/short pants.

I also found something like dry food stick to the carpet. Many long black hairs in the tub. I checked the towels b4 using them, and I am glad i didn't find any dry feces like the other person, but towels were very, very use.

The "woman" is very sneaky. she is not polite, and as soon I saw her, I felt a bad vibe... Watch out.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at the Dutch Motel. we had a great time at Hershey Park. We checked out this morning got home only to realize that I left my phone charger plugged in the wall back at the motel room. I live in philly ....over one hundred miles away... no short trip. I called and asked if they could mail my phone charger to me ...I WOULD PAY!!!! They said they DON' T DO THAT!!!!!!. Thanks for nothing Dutch Motel....... I will let my friends and family know just how inconsiderate and unfriendly you are there..... was thinking about staying there again.......I'M NOT !!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Dutch Motel? Share your experiences!