“Can't judge a book by its cover” 3 of 5 stars

Americas Best Value Inn Palmyra/Hershey
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2951 Horseshoe Pike, Palmyra, PA 17078   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Palmyra
Suffern, New York
“Can't judge a book by its cover”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

From the outside, this hotel is nothing to look at, and one in which I'd probably pass by; however, the rooms are spacious, contemporary, and very clean. The latter, to me, is most important. The room was nice and warm when we entered, which was very welcome, as the air outside was very cold. Additionally, the thermostat adjusts quickly. The rooms come equipped with a good working refrigerator, a microwave, and a blowdryer (I didn't use the latter 2.). Although the office is very small, the owner, or man behind the counter, was very helpful and knowledgeable about the area and the visitor information regarding the local attractions. I suggest that you take the brochure from the wall marked "map;" it noted all the local attractions. And everything in Hershey is relatively close to the motel. Furthermore, a gas station and convenience store are right next to the motel, in case you forget to bring, or need anything.

The downsides that I found: the beds were very, very firm, the towels were very rough and non-absorbent, the shower pressure was poor, although the tub spout pressure was fabulous, and the noise from the passing vehicles was audible from the room; the latter would be true in all the rooms, I would imagine. Additionally, the rate is higher on a Saturday than on a Sunday; I wondered why, since the place was empty and it's not like the room is any fancier or there are additional perks on a Saturday night.

Room Tip: Almost all the rooms are on one level. There are 3 or 4 separate buildings. One building has 2 room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Jamaica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

It had all the amenties we could ask for - Good Price, Clean Rooms, Refrigerator, Microwave(which many hotels I stayed do not have), Free Breakfast, WiFi. It was in close proximity to many tourist attractions (which was one reason I chose this location). Nearby was a gas station, with a mini mart, 2 pizzerias, if you are hungry. The owners were courteous.
(Just read about another client who complained about the heat- if you just raised the thermostat, the room was comfortable.)
Would recommend this to everyone. Good Price with Good Value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Central PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

If it wasn't for the cold room upon arriving, I would have rated the motel 4 stars. We stayed there in mid December when the outside temperature was about 30 degrees. The room has only an 8 ft. section of electric baseboard heat in the front and a 4 ft. piece at the back. There is a shorter piece (approx. 3 ft.) of base board heating element in the bathroom, but that stopped working after about an hour. We arrived about 9 p.m. and sat with our coats on for the first hour. When we checked in the desk clerk said that "if we turned the heat up, it would be warm in 10 or 15 minutes". Anyone familiar with electric baseboard heaters knows there are no fans to force air circulation. You have to wait for the air to heat close to the heater and then slowly circulate throughout the room.

We left the thermostat turned all the way up and went to bed about 11 p.m. using the sheet, blanket, and bed spread for covers. I woke up about 3 a.m. and the room was nice and warm. I turned the thermostat back until I heard it click off and left it there. The room remained quite comfortable for the remainder of our stay. For anyone staying there in the winter, I would recommend you call ahead and reserve your room and ask them to turn up the heat, or arrive early, turn up the heat, and go out to a restaurant or shopping for a couple hours.

The heating situation was our only real complaint. The only other more minor things (which my wife complained about) were the bed mattress was extremely firm and the front door of the motel room was only about 120 ft. from the main highway so you would hear traffic noise.

This motel is only a few miles from the Hershey Park Tourist attraction. We were not there to see the park and only wanted an inexpensive place to spend the night and not pay outrageous tourist prices. This motel was fine for this at about $65 for the night. It was clean with no stale or cleaning odors. It had a TV with a huge channel selection, microwave and a small refrigerator all in working condition.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

While Visiting Hershey with my friends we stayed at Americas best Value Inn,Palmyra.other group stayed at Travelodge Hershey.This is a wonderful, hotel. I totally enjoyed my stay here. The rooms are very clean, and I love the bathroom. The pool is closed during the winter which understandable. And anyone staying in Hershey PA should stay here. Everything is nearby and there is so much to do here. All I can stay is this is a great hotel with wonderful rooms and a great staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Between Boston & the Cape
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My son and I visited from July 6-8, 2012. We were looking for a place that was within 10-15 minutes of HersheyPark, yet was affordable. After checking reviews here we decided to stay here and were not disappointed.We were greeted by a friendly young couple at the front desk who made check in easy and answered all our questions (24 hour supermarket right around the corner).
The room itself was clean and nice. Microwave, small fridge and free wi-fi were the 3 amenities we needed, all were there and working perfectly. Pool out back came in handy when we decided to escape from the 100 degree heat of the park.
Continental breakfast in the motel office was pretty basic, but there was plenty there to fuel up and start the day.
After hearing about our trip my other son wants to go next year. My wife and I will stay here, if we go. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We had a great experience with the service we recieved.The manager was avalible and very nice and was willing to share tips on best times to travel and when is cheaper,etc.the room was nice very cleaned and restocked daily.all rooms are non smoking and there was no trace of cigarette smell anywhere.we will come back again sure.

• Stayed October 2012
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We spent the night there before our day at Hershey Park. The room was a good size, everything was clean and worked well. I didn't do the continental breakfast, that was in the office and it didn't seem like something I would want. I would definitely without a doubt stay here again. Why spend more when you can pay less and get a good place to spend the night. The walls are thin though so if you have someone in the next room with the tv turned up you will hear it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Palmyra/Hershey? Share your experiences!