“Baffled?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hickory Bridge Farm Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orrtanna
Hickory Bridge Farm Bed and Breakfast
96 Hickory Bridge Road, Orrtanna, PA 17353   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Orrtanna B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Baffled?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Hickory Bridge Farm last fall. While I went back and forth on whether to post a review or not and, thus, am delayed in posting it.

My husband and I were sorely disappointed by our stay. When we checked in, the inn keeper had us pay in full up front and then informed us she would be away for the entire weekend. (Her daughter was visiting. I completely understand family time is important. However, the staff she left in her absence were pretty unpleasant and unhelpful.)

All in all, we felt the inn was extremely tired. The property itself was lovely. In October, the trees are beautiful. However, inside the inn, there were a lot of unusual smells and the rooms needed updating.

The biggest disappointment for us was the food and service. We had two breakfasts and dinner at the restaurant. The website refers to "fine country dining" and states that "recipes are made from scratch and often feature local products." Perhaps I set my expectations too high, but dinner at the restaurant was pretty awful. Their philosophy is definitely to provide quantity over quality. Everything was sort of mushy and tasted like it came from cans. The first morning's breakfast was similarly disappointing. We were served lukewarm scrambled eggs, some grocery store bacon, white bread toast and store bought cereal.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me and my husband was Sunday morning. On Sundays, the inn delivers baskets to the room rather then serving breakfast in the dining room. The picture on the website shows fresh fruit, cinnamon buns and a carafe of coffee. Before the basket came up, I wanted some coffee and could smell that some was brewing downstairs. My husband went down to the kitchen to ask if he could get some coffee for me. At first, the woman making breakfast told him to use the coffee maker in the room, despite there being a full coffee maker in the kitchen. When my husband explained we were out of coffee packs, she apparently irritably said he could have coffee, but he needed to go back upstairs and get one of the mugs from our room. When my husband asked for cream or milk, he was told he had to use the powdered creamer packets in the room. In the breakfast basket, we never did get a carafe of coffee like in the picture. We just got more packs for the hotel coffee maker. It was like staying at the Days Inn... only with more attitude.

That interaction was only one of several with the staff that left us with a bad taste in our mouths. One gentleman who we spoke to Saturday evening was quite charming and helpful. Our waitress in the restaurant on Friday night was very sweet. However, the women who worked in the kitchen were just downright hostile.

Overall, the impression we walked away with was that our being at the Hickory Bridge Farm somehow inconvenienced the owner and staff. Upon leaving, I immediately addressed these concerns through the Select Registry website, as the inn is a member. To the owner's credit, she did sent a response letter. (It was short and curt, but indicated she had spoken to her staff.)

I wasn't sure if I wanted to post a review that might hurt someone's business. However, my husband and I keep going back and forth on how this inn can possibly have such a great rating? Perhaps we hit a really, really bad weekend? Perhaps we're just slightly more urban than their normal clientele and therefore expect something different? Maybe we did something that offended the staff? (If we did, we can't figure out what it was...)

Anyway, for what its worth, I would never recommend this inn to my friends or family.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Delmar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

My husband and I recently visited Gettysburg and stayed at the Hickory Bridge Farm Bed and Breakfast. The staff was welcoming and extremely friendly. We had a wonderful visit and would definately go back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Westminster, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

we returned for the third time to hickory bridge to celebrate my husband's birthday. Mary Lynn, the innkeeper and owner is hospitality personified. She is very friendly, and accomadating. The cabins are our favorite for privacy and coziness by the woodburning fireplace. The proximity to a rushing steam is peaceful and beautiful. We enjoyed a fabulous dinner in the restarant/barn with live music to enhance the mood. The family style dinner was great with more than ample food. Our breakfast at the farmhouse was served with excellent hospitality and the conversation at the table was enjoyable. Our only complaint would be that the cabin needs updating with new carpet and bathroom updates, but everything was very clean. We enjoy the poximity to Gettysburg and the farm setting. This was a great stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

While Hickory Bridge Farm is a little hard to find, it is worth the effort! Located about 10 minutes outside of Gettysburg, it is the perfect hidden gem! We stayed in the Old Farmhouse and had the entire upstairs to ourselves! There were 2 beautifully furnished bedrooms and a modern bathroom. There was a TV room downstairs that we could use as well. The dining room was where we had breakfast both mornings - super yummy homemade delights (Sunday - sticky rolls, muffins, fruit, juice, coffee, cold cereals, cream of wheat; Monday - french toast, bacon, fruit, juice, coffee, cold cereals). The part of the grounds we visited were lovely - a quaint small bridge over a creek. And our 2 1/2 year old son loved the cat Ernie in the mornings. We had dinner across the way on Saturday night and it was fabulous - fruit, cucumbers & onions, bread, salad with sweet & sour dressing, ham with maple raisin compote, chicken & rice, carrots, green beans, corn fritters, potatoes, and your choice of dessert - definitely get the peach melba ice cream pie. We couldn't have been happier with our choice!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

My visit to Hickory Ridge was relaxing and a perfect getaway. The countryside setting is beautiful. The innkeepers and their staff took care of all of the details and made sure the experince was a great one. The decorating is classic and includes many antiques but is not overdone. The rooms were exceptionally clean and pleasant. I toured the larger barn dining area and it also seemed like a great place to come with others or even a large party.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Turbotville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

This year was our 3rd year down to Hickory Bridge. We even sent the parents down for a Christmas gift one year. I love to stay in the cottage by the rippling creek, breeze blowing the the roosters crowing nearby. It's the perfect getaway. Everyone is always so nice and accomodating. The ice tea and cookies upon arrival are always something to look forward to. Best of all, you're out of town in the country out of all the noise and traffic in town. It's nice to come back to after a day of traveling or touring the battlefields. Can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Cottonwood, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

HIckory Bridge Farm is by far one of the best Bed & Breakfasts that we have experienced.
We stayed in the cottage and it was charming. We loved sitting on the front porch and enjoying the creek which was just feet away. The room was very comfortable, the breakfasts were delicious and the hosts went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We also visited a winery about a mile down a country road. After a day of sightseeing in Gettsyburg, it was wonderful to escape to this beautiful, quiet setting. We didn't want to leave!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hickory Bridge Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!