“White Water Rafting....FUN! FUN! FUN!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Attractions in Ohiopyle
Type: Tours, Shopping
Somerset, Pennsylvania, United States
3 attraction reviews
“White Water Rafting....FUN! FUN! FUN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our family and friends went white water rafting with Ohiopyle Trading Post today. All we can say is FUN! FUN! FUN! Our guide was great and we felt very confident in his skill level. Because of our guide's confidence and his explanations of what to expect next, we were relaxed and had a great time! The beautiful scenery down the Yough River is amazing. We even seen a blue heron! It was our first time rafting, and we can't wait to go again!

Visited September 2013

4 attraction reviews
“Great day on the river 8/18/2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was a great experience. I booked a trip fully guided trip for 5 of my friends and I. We had a trip down the lower yough. It was the first time white water rafting for all of us and was a perfect experience for first timers. We definitely needed a guide for our first time. Our guide Andrew was awesome, he was very friendly and extremely knowledgeable about the river and surrounding areas. My only complaint is that when we went on our trip, it was comprised of both fully guided and guide escorted rafts. Two of the guide escorted boats had no idea what they were doing and slowed the trip down for everyone. One of the escorted boats flipped and a girl ended up spraining her ankle, which forced us to wait an hour or so to resume the trip. The trips should consist of either all fully guided or guide escorted boats. Other than that it was a great trip and would definitely book again.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Great trip down the lower Yough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Since I was bringing my 12 yr old son, I decided to sign up for a guided trip down the lower. Due to the logistics of getting everyone in the right boat, guided or unguided, we ended up in a smaller boat with just the two of us and our guide Ian. We had an excellent trip. I was a little concerned that the water might be low since it was August, but the water level and rapids easily surpassed our expectations. We were able to go in several areas where the bigger rafts weren't able to. Ian always gave us the heads up on any approaching rapids, how we would enter and what we needed to do in them. We flipped out once, but it was somewhat expected. All in all, the guides took good care of the rafters. We would definitely come back.
Thanks Ian for making our day.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 attraction reviews
“Long trip down the river”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We originally asked for a guided trip down the Middle Yough. The person who answered the phone kind of laughed and said that most people didn't need a guide down that river. We had done the Lower Yough a few years ago, but with kids who hadn't been rafting and one only 10 years old, we figured we could handle the Middle unguided. So we can't speak to the guiding of the Ohiopyle Trading Post. The equipment was good. The raft was self-bailing which is very important, and the life jackets were fairly clean and not smelly. They were easy to fit and not uncomfortable.

I dropped the rating to Average for a couple reasons. The first is that I thought for some reason that we would still have a lunch stop during our trip down the river. I know that is my mistake, but when I asked the person who booked our tour if we should bring anything, she said, just yourselves! I wish she had said that we should bring a cooler with food and drinks. We did bring a little bit, but we would all have had a better trip if we brought plenty of food and water and planned on taking a picnic break about halfway through. The check-in was also a little stressful because the person ahead of us had a million questions and there was only one person who could check in.

The other challenge was that the river doesn't flow that fast and with a big raft you will paddle... A LOT. We also had a head wind that basically negated the river flow, so it wasn't a good trip for our family. There weren't enough rapids to keep things exciting and there were long stretches of heavy paddling. We also got stuck on lots of rocks. I would recommend the duckies for this trip instead of the raft. The rapids aren't very intense, so I would have felt comfortable having my 10 year old in a ducky.

Next time, we will leave the younger kid behind and enjoy a more exhilarating and less exhausting Lower Yough trip.

Visited July 2013
10 attraction reviews
“Lower Yough guided trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Ohiopyle trading did an excellent job. Guides are easy going yet professional, all the guides coordinated very well in a team when couple of people from another raft fell in the water. Followed safety instructions and ensured everyone understand what is going on.They serve lunch after we are back from the guided raft and it was decent....Peanut butter jelly, deli sandwiches, fresh watermelon and lemonade with no limit on servings.

We were group of 6 people and some of us were rafting for the first time and lucky for us the river levels were 7.5 ft as it rained the day before we went for rafting. The rapids were great and it was just awesome to go white water rafting in Ohiopyle. It is a must do if one is going to Ohiopyle and I highly recommend rafting with Ohiopyle Trading Post. Excellent team of guides for a great rafting experience.