“Great quaint B&B” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Brick Hotel

The Brick Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newtown
The Brick Hotel
You added The Brick Hotel to your Saves list
1 E. Washington Avenue, Newtown, PA 18940   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newtown
Ocean City, Maryland
“Great quaint B&B”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

This is a very historic building. I read the pamphlet at the front desk and the history was very interesting. As with any historic B&Bs you aren't going to get the five star amenities but I found the room quite nice and very cozy. A full service restaurant and bar downstairs with free wifi are a benefit over the larger corporate chains. Free breakfast in the AM was offered but I didn't take advantage of it.

The prices they are running at right now - it is tough to turn this place down! What a deal!

I would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

We stopped for drinks and appetizer. We were told that two waitresses had called out and that there were only two left and for one, this was her first night. Needless to say, service was terrible. The manager was filling in, but he seemed uncomfortable in his new job. The owner seemed to have an attitude. The food was so-so and the service was terrible. We waited a long time for the check and when I finally found a waitress, I was told that our waitress saw her ex-boyfriend sitting near us and didn't want to see him. We would have sat there all night! I complained about the evening to the hostess but she just shrugged. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Anywhere, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

First of all, I would like to comment that the young women who staffed the reception desk and also served breakfast couldn't have been nicer. They were friendly and went out of their way to ensure that we had an enjoyable experience. Breakfast involved generous portions and the food was hot and tasty. No complaints there. We didn't have any other meals in the restaurant.
I found the hotel to be a decent value overall, although it could definitely use better upkeep and some further renovations to be completely satisfactory. Historical charm notwithstanding, this facility gives a strong impression of dinginess---for example, the carpet on the main staircase that spoils one's first impression when one is going upstairs to one's room. The odor of mildew was pervasive on the ground floor. (My own home is 160 years old and it doesn't smell like that.) The heat was impossible to regulate and my sleep was disturbed by both the constant, loud noise of what I assumed were the pipes and the mattress, which had definitely seen better days. The sheets had seen better days, too, as they bore traces of somebody's pen which had (accidentally, I assume) stained them. The furniture was vaguely "period," although quite a few items looked as if they'd been left over from some not very appealing "colonial" bedroom suite from the 1970's. The bathroom door couldn't be closed completely. The closet was used for seasonal storage of the window air conditioner. Therefore, long garments could be hung in only half of it. Most disturbing--and also a fire hazard!--is that at least some emergency exit doors open into narrow hallways that are cluttered with vacuum cleaners, boxes, bins, and what appears to be plain old junk. I always check out the emergency routes when I stay in hotels, and I shuddered as I thought of sleepy guests trying to negotiate these cluttered corridors in search of egress during an emergency--especially if they hadn't had a chance to check out these emergency routes prior to going to bed.
All in all, the Brick Hotel provides a mediocre experience in a wonderful town. I think that management will need to put more money into maintenance and renovation if the place is ever to achieve first-rate status.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

The Brick Hotel is situated in Newtown, PA. It sits on the corner of the main street and is within easy walking distance of all shops, pubs and restaurants in the town. We chose the Brick Hotel for its location as we were visiting family members who live in Newtown. We reserved the hotel through the internet but upon our arrival we were told that the price was five dollars more than agreed in our email correspondence. The girl who checked us in was quite rude and insisted she was right. After travelling all day we were too weary to argue with her and agreed to pay up front for our weeks stay. The first night of our stay we were kept awake all night by the antique water system which sounded like a loud waterfall in the room. Suffering from jet lag I went down for breakfast at 7.30am sharp but was kept waiting until 7.45am when the sleepy chef appeared. Breakfast however, was amazing! I requested scrambled eggs and toast and was given a plate full of food that would feed an army. The scrambled eggs filled the plate and came with melted cheese and a side of homemade fries with peppers and onions. Delicious! After breakfast we complained about the noise in our room and were moved immediately to a better room which was much quieter. The rest of the week we enjoyed the fabulous breakfasts every morning and the new room was comfortable and clean. When we left at the end of the week I mistakenly left my cardigan in our room. The hotel sent this on to me after I had contacted them but they did charge me ten dollars for the privilege which I felt was a bit steep considering we had stayed with them for an entire week in January and spent quite a lot of money. Overall the hotel had a certain amount of charm, the breakfast staff were excellent but the reception staff were unfriendly and cold and could have been more pleasant to deal with.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Winthrop, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

The charge was $168 for the night. I was charged upon checking in. This is an unusual practice as most hoteliers take the card and do not post a charge until check out. My mistake was that I checked in, got charged, and the nightmare began. The internet was inoperable and the staff had no idea how to fix it. The soaps and shampoos look like they're from the "free sample" section of the market. There was a large roach on the wall we noticed when we were awakened at 5am by the phone lost in the couch by the previous guest. There was NO STAFF IN THE HOTEL overnight. We were told that breakfast was served at 7am. Nobody was around when we arrived at 7 for breakfast. When I went to the phone at the desk to call someone I noticed that the computer was displaying my email with some personal information. Shortly after 7, the staff started rolling in. We ate a very mediocre omelette with some partially frozen, hockey puck shaped potato. I asked for the manager to discuss this extraordinarily pricey arrangement, and was told that there was none. The wait staff didn't even know how to get in touch with anyone in authority. Later in the day, I spoke several times with the proprietor and voiced my unhappiness about my stay. I was met with aggression and argument. Not only was I told that I was not telling the truth, she refused to reverse the charge on my card. She eventually gave me a 50% reduction, making my price $84. I suggest that, even at this price, guests find a place to stay that is cleaner and values their customers.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Gold2006, Owner at The Brick Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
We are sorry to hear about all your complaints. We had a guest in Room 305 (suite with Jacuzzi & Fireplace) who stayed there the previous night and we followed up with him about his stay and he had no complaints and felt the room was very clean.

This is a historic building that was built in 1745 and so is old but certainly not dirty. We had our regular "pest control" inspection on Monday Dec 13, 2010 and the certified inspector reported no problems with bugs at all. If you wish we can provide that to you.

In the morning, the server was there at 7am to serve you breakfast, I checked the servers clock in time and you did have the complimentary breakfast.

You stayed overnight and so were charged according to the price quoted to you. Certainly we would understand if you had complained to the Manager on the day of arrival when the Manager was at the hotel until midnight but the Manager did not hear any complaints from you.

We had a lady come in on Sunday who stayed for 2 days and said that the Brick Hotel is very clean and well kept and that she has travelled and stayed in historic places a lot and this is by far the best kept and clean place and will be coming back to stay with us again in January 2011. This was not that we asked her about her stay, this was the guest coming to us and telling us how wonderful her stay has been with the attentiveness and graciousness of the staff. Once again we pride ourselves in providing above average service and have been complimented many a time.

We do regret that you feel that you did not experience our care as other people have.

We have regulars who come and stay with us 2-3 times a month who are very happy.

Thank you.

Owner
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

Nothing to recommend this place. It is dirty in every way, crumbling plaster in the bath, moldy carpeting in the entry way, and a symphony of noise emanating from the walls. Cramped rooms, dated furniture. Oh, and the "continental breakfast"? Coffee and Fruit Loops! No OJ, not toast. Should be bulldozed, and a monument build, to commemorate the suffering of the poor guests.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Gold2006, Owner at The Brick Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
We wanted to respond to your complaints.

Certainly the server could have served you Orange Juice as they do to every guest that stays in the hotel. Breakfast is included complimentary and you can order eggs or pancakes.

We are a historic building that was built in 1745 so yes it is old and needs work. But to say that it needs to be bulldozed it a little harsh.

We are very popular destination in Newtown and have a lot of regular guests.

There are people who prefer to stay in the newer more contemporary places and they would not like a historic hotel.

So its a matter of taste.

Thank you.

Owner
Atco, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

This was not our first visit to the Brick. We often stay here while visiting friends. When I made the reservation, I was quoted a great price of $76.20. Wow! They apparently were having a summer special. When we checked in, our room rate jumped to $110! Since I didn't know the name of the girl who made the reservation, the manager could not help me. She then had me talk to the owner who would also not change the rate. I wasn't in the mood to argue about the $30, so I let it ride.
About the room.....All of the rooms are different. This time we stayed in room #200. The head of the double bed was situated right at the window with a window air conditioner. Consequently, the cold air blew right at our heads the whole night which made sleeping very uncomfortable. The bathroom was clean but the rest of the room certainly needed work. The sofa was dirty and the door could use some paint.
The next time I visit friends, I will definitely try another hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Brick Hotel? Share your experiences!