“Really great special occasion dinner.” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Washington
Description: "Simply The Best in Bucks", The Temperance House located in historic Newtown, Pennsylvania offers the finest in quality, service & accommodations. Our simple, yet elegant menu specializes in steaks & seafood. From intimate gatherings to gala affairs our banquet facilities provide a perfect venue for any event. Please contact our banquet coordinator regarding your next affair. Journey through our historic chambers & discover why our Inn is one of Bucks County's best kept secrets. Plush accommodations with an at home feel, we cater to corporate clientele, bridal parties & couples looking to get away. Please contact our Innkeeper for more information.
Beautiful Bucks County, PA
“Really great special occasion dinner.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I went for our anniversary. We had a groupon, which really helped. We shared the spring roll sampler. The duck spring roll was fantastic, the cheesesteak was surprisingly good. The 3rd was okay. He had the stuffed pork tenderloin. It was really wonderful. The leftovers of it were even better the next day. It was served with a squash and apple saute, which was acceptable, but not great. I had the shrimp and scallops, they were a little overcooked, and two of the scallops were sandy. The risotto served with it was phenominal! If they just served the risotto as an entree I would get that! Their house salad was a generous portion of very fresh, clean, crisp veggies. We were very pleased overall, and will look for another groupon!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
temphouse, Owner at The Temperance House Restaurant & Tavern, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your meal on
12/11/12. We are a little disappointed to hear you were not 100%
satisfied with some of your selections. In the future, please let us
know at the time of service so we can rectify any issue.

Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Great food & drink; not excited about the smoking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I love the restaurant atmosphere and food. Easter brunch here was especially good. We would come here more frequently if it weren't for all the smoking in the bar area.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
We are happy to let you know we have made our Tavern and Entertainment Lounge Smoke-Free when we have entertainment (Tuesday through Saturday). We invite you to try us out again. We
have continued to offer outstanding local entertainment for your enjoyment.
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“It averaged out to an average meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had a coupon for this place so we thought we would try it out. There were pluses and minuses to the meal which leads me to giving it an average rating. My husband really enjoyed his crab-cakes but I felt my scallops were undercooked and swimming in too much butter. Service was responsive but nothing spectacular. Bread service was ridiculous (old school dinner rolls with new school olive oil - it just did not work) but our appetizer was delicious. So it was just one of those meals. Diners are stuffed into one charming little dining room (except one table which was in the adjoining room) which although pretty, is very noisy, hot, and stuffy. I would not return to this restaurant - coupon or no coupon.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
We are a little disappointed to hear you were not
pleased with your dining experience. In the future, please let us
know at the time of service so we can rectify any issue.
Holland, Pennsylvania
“Bad food, worse service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We ate here last Tuesday, it was a terrible experience for the money. We had a party of 5, which they considered a party of 6. We had 5 adults and one toddler, who did not eat or drink, just took up a spot at the table. Our waitress looked at my mother, asked if she wanted a beverage. She said the water was fine for now, so she left. She never offered anyone else a drink. We started out with appetizers. I ordered the tempura shrimp. It was tasteless. My sister and her husband had the spinach dip, which was so runny, it would not stay on the chips. It had more of a soup consistency. My mother had the crab cocktail, which she enjoyed. My father had French onion soup, which he thought was delicious. We tried ordering beverages three times during the meal. We made it through the appetizers with only our water. My sister and I got Caesar salads, which were not edible. Yuck. They were overly seasoned with anchovies. Still no beverage. We ask again for our beverages. Nothing. Finally, we ask the manager to bring us beverages. This begins an onslaught of beverages. Not only did the manager bring them, the busboy and then finally the waitress. All you could do was laugh. Our dinner arrived. I had the Delmonico steak, ordered medium. It was medium rare at best and so filled with fat, that I found it to be inedible. My father had crab cakes which were over-cooked. My mother had the Shrimp and Scallops. Both the scallops and risotto were not edible. I had ordered my husband an order of crab cakes to go. They were packed in such an unsightly manner, I was embarrassed to give it to him. It was awful. My sister had the strip steak which was okay, cooked well and edible. The pork tenderloin my brother in law had was fabulous.

To top it off, our waitress was awful and since there were technically six of us, we were charged 18% tip. There was no way that she was worth that tip. I would have preferred the busboy to receive the bulk of that tip. Although she was nice, she left much to be desired as a waitress.

There is no way that we will be venturing back to the Temperance House anytime soon. It is beautiful and romantic, but that is where it ended for us!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
temphouse, Owner at The Temperance House Restaurant & Tavern, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
It is very disappointing to receive a review like yours. We work hard to offer delicious food and friendly service and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We would suggest to you, that most business people appreciate ANY type of feedback, but more importantly, the opportunity to immediately rectify the situation as it occurs.
Morrisville, PA
“Great place for a romantic dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

What a wonderful dining experience! Our server, Maria, was wonderful and gave us some great suggestions for appetizers and entrees. The seafood appetizer was delicious as was the sea bass and shrimp and scallop entrees. The sea bass was the best I've ever had! Wish we had room for dessert because they looked delicious also. The dining area is small and cozy with a fireplace. A great place for a romantic dinner!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
We appreciate your kind words! We will pass your feedback along to our team, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!