“Do Not Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in New Stanton
columbus, ohio
“Do Not Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

we stayed here only because all the other hotels were full, except for the fairfield inn by marriot. next time, we will pay the 115.00 to stay at the fairfield. when we arrived, the looby and parking lot were full of people drinking beer. i found out that there is a bar/lounge attached to the hotel and selling beer for 1.50 a bottle all night (sat). i also found out that this is a smoking hotel, which means you can smoke ANYWHERE in the hotel you like, including the "breakfast lounge". our room was basically clean and comfortable....except for the diarrea on the toilet seat that i had to clean off and the dark and curly short hairs stuck in our face towels and the black mold growing on the hand towels and the long black hairs i had to wash out of the shower. however, the hotel was very quiet and the beds were clean and firm. in the morning, i went to get some breakfast and check out. well, there were people smoking in the food area, cirgarette butts littering the lobby and half empty beer bottles sitting on the lobby floor.
do yourself a favor and go to the mariott fairfield.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

I have never stayed at a Days Inn like this. It was deplorable and I was faced with a five day stay!

We were greeted with a musty, mildew, cigarette odor upon arrival. As well as a plastic floral arrangement covered with years of dust that was in the entry. The desk clerk was very nice. Our room was "the only one left". We were assigned to the third floor. The clerk was sorry that there was not an elevator!

After lugging heavy suitcases upstairs I was starting to ask questions such as, "What if I had a handicap? or "What if I had back problems?" Once inside the room, a quick assessment told me I was in a time warp. The room was basic early 50's with the addition of a refrigerator and microwave, which I appreciated.

The bed linens were clean, the bed was comfortable.

The bathroom is another story. The towels looked as though they had been used to wash and wax a fleet of cars. Bleach has never touched them. One could read through some of them they were so thin. I refused to use the wash cloth and cringed when I had to use the towel. On three of the days we were there, a hand towel was provided as a bath mat. I should have gone to the Target and bought my own towels!

Free breakfast?! Well, yes, if you aren't afraid to touch something. I ate there once. I could not bring myself to deal with a grimy toaster, a table with cereal strewn from one end to the other, two extremely hot Belgian waffle irons bolted to the table, frozen egg disks and sausage disks to reheat in the grungy microwave and a dirty, sticky floor. Is there no health department in Westmoreland County?

In the morning, we noticed that the parking lot had a build up of litter and numerous beer bottles and beer cans in the flower beds.

I encourage anybody who is considering this hotel to reconsider. I am only sorry that I didn't read the other reviews at this site before making the nonrefundable arrangements.

• Liked — There was a refrigerator and a microwave in the room.
  • Disliked — Everything related to the bathroom facilities and linens.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

We stayed here because it was recommended by Idlewild Park and it was awful. We booked 3 rooms for our group but the others had not arrived yet. We checked in about 5pm and were given a room. So My husband and I and our 2 little kids drug all our stuff upstairs (could not find a luggage rack) I inserted the key and opened the door and to my surprise, there were clothes all over the place, a laptop sitting on the bed They had given us someone else's room! So we trudge back downstairs luggage and kids in tow and let them know, we were told oh no those people checked out they must have just left that stuff its ok. Ok so we are supposed to stay in a room where someone else's stuff is and in a room that had not been cleaned! We demanded a different room. So she had to go find one that was clean? What???It is 5pm and this is check in time! So she found us one down the hallway from the rest of our group. I inserted the key and there stands a maid. She is sitting on the bed folding towels. I was like OH She said come on in its ok. I said no we will wait until you are finished cleaning the room. So my husband and kids waited in the hallway while I went to make a phone call. The maid walked out a few seconds later did not say a word to my husband. He waited a few minutes, she never returned so he went in. I came back upstairs and walked in a was shocked that the bed had food in the sheets, hair in the tub and by the sinks, mirrors were dirty, carpet had not been swept, room was so dusty it was not even funny, half the lights didn't work. So I fumed for a few minutes and told the hubby lets go grab a bite to eat and I will ask to speak to the manager and tell him the room needs cleaned by the time we get back. The manager comes out and basically argues with me about the room being cleaned! Not one apology. Finally He said give me a half hour and it will be cleaned. Fine! So we come back about and 1 1/2 hours later walk in the room and find that all they did was make the bed and smoke in our room and leave the cigarette butt in our sink! Everything was still a filthy mess. Then the kids wanted to go swimming, we took one look at the pool and said no way. You could see all the dirt in the pool and trash laying all around the pool area. The hallways were filthy and smelly and very dimly lit. Doors were propped open in the back of the hotel with rags so anyone wandering off the highway could come right in. I just did not feel secure and safe with my family at all! Avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — dirty, smelly, and not safe!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

There are many other hotels in the area, so book one of them.

The room itself had newer carpet and a recently renovated bathroom, but the hotel was in need of some serious updates - dimly lit halls with a vague musty smell.

The room, which was non-smoking, smelled of cigarettes. Why? The ventilation system kept pulling in smoke odors. Also, while there's a thermostat in the room, it works off a central system, so we were never really able to get the room anywhere near the temperature we set.

While the hotel did technically have a breakfast, it was jammed into a crowded corner, and didn't look particularly appetizing.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

Had this not been a prepaid, nonrefundable booking, I'd have gone elsewhere. I *highly* recommend you spend an extra $40 and book elsewhere, you will be glad you did. I wish I had done so. This hotel is deplorable.

I arrived in the early evening (9pm). The impression you get from the lobby is quite on-the-mark: dark, musty, dirty, and rundown. Everything is shabby, from the furniture to the amenities. The first room I was assigned turned out to have been ignored by housekeeping that day, as the bed was unmade and towels were strewn around. The second room I was assigned... SAME! Finally got assigned a third room which was actually ready for occupancy. And oh, how you feel you've entered motel-hell as you walk down the dim corridors, noting the heavy accumulations of filth trodden into the hall carpeting that hasn't been steam-cleaned in aeons.

The room was basic--no refrigerator, no hair dryer, no steam-iron, no ironing board. Plastic cups. Formica counters. Lots of wood-grain plastic laminate furniture and trim, straight out of the 50s. Tacky, fading, insulting stickers and notices telling not to chip the sink with soda cans, etc The room carpeting was unclean, the furnishings dusty, the corners laden with dust and detritus Chewing gum stuck to the end table. Bath towels were dingy and stained. The bed sheets and pillow covers were clean, unfortunately the mattress was horribly uncomfortable and lumpy. During my stay, the ventilation fan in the bathroom fell out of the ceiling and dangled overhead.

Next morning, as I left, I noted that many rooms had doors wide open to reveal they'd been converted into office space--very messy, unkempt office space at that. This was a terrible stay and I will NEVER return. I implore you, please click on my user ID and see that I review many properties around the USA, and often give very positive comments to deserving innkeeps. You can believe me--this Days Inn is terrible. STAY AWAY.

• Liked — The wireless internet worked well.
  • Disliked — Dirty, smelly, dingy, shabby rooms, furnishings, and public spaces. AVOID!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

As soon as I got out of my vehicle, I noticed a foul odor. The closer I got to the hotel, the worse it got. Once inside, I smelled musty mildew mixed with cigarettes. It was very strong throughout the whole hotel. We had reserved a room with an attached room that had a jacuzzi. They each had their own entrances from the hallway. This would have been great because we have a baby and we did not want to wake up the baby and also because we could have some privacy. When we inserted the key, it did not open the door. After several attempts, we went to the front desk. We were told that the lock was broken and that we would have to enter through the other door. This defeated the whole purpose of having the two seperate enterances. Once inside, I noticed the smell got stronger and I did not feel comfortable letting my son touch anything or walk around without his shoes on. The toilet was broken. The attached room with the jacuzzi had a door that I thought led to another bathroom, but when I opened the door, it was dark and dirty and there were wet mops inside. At this point, I decided that I was not going to stay here, so I went to the front desk to explain that we were leaving. I was given a hard time until I explained that I would call the corporate headquarters. At that point, I was able to leave with a receipt that stated I did not owe anything. I HIGHLY recommend that you consider other hotels if you are staying in this area.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the foul smell
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indianapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2006

Stopped here by chance. Went to the room we were given, looking forward to some television and rest from our long drive. The TV didn't work. When we called the front desk,they were very unhelpful and said no-one was available to come and look into it and neither could the desk clerk come. Spent a few minutes trying to get the TV to work and when we still couldn't get it to work, asked for another room but they had no more non-smoking rooms. We said we would have to find another hotel and they refused to refund our money, saying that we had "used" the room for 10 minutes (even though the time we were in the room was spent trying to get the TV to work!) Unbelievable! No manager was available to talk to or on call and the desk clerk was extremely rude. We are complaining to Days Inn corporation, meanwhile manager claims the TV worked just fine and claims we were lying about it! If the desk clerk had come to see for herself she would have verified the problem. These people don't have the faintest notion of customer service and rudeness prevails from management to desk clerks.

• Liked — close to highway exit easy to find
  • Disliked — Rude unhelpful staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this at all costs there are plenty of other hotels at this highway exit
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Days Inn New Stanton? Share your experiences!