“Enjoy the view (and smell)” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in New Kensington
Ashburn, Virginia
“Enjoy the view (and smell)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

It was tricky to find hotel at night. Late check in was OK. I found out the room very smelly, it was non-smoking room and it was hard to get what the smell it was(mold?). Hotel clerk offered to change a room for the next day. Hotel located near the river and you can run/walk there and enjoy a river view. Pool was a plus in a hot day. Hotel has a restaurant, but I didn’t eat there. Place was very quiet. Hotel is old, but most of equipment - toilet, shower, AC, TV worked fine. My room had an iron, a hairdryer and a coffee maker. You can find a business center with free Internet Access on the first floor near the check in area. The whole town of New Kensington left a very sad impression on me - old empty houses, shut down stores( later I found out a newer part of the town), so I can say that hotel was OK for that area and the price they offered.

• Liked — it was the only hotel in the area I needed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Elmore, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

We had two rooms at this hotel and both were in need of serious cleaning! Hair on the sheets? Never changed? An old coffee filter in the coffee machine in the room, a telephone so dirty we wouldn't use it, sloppy repairs to bathroom fixtures, etc. The only thing clean were the towels! It was very disappointing as we have stayed there many years ago and I believe that nothing has been changed in over 10 years. This place is in bad need of revamping. We DID find the restaurant ok for breakfast as it offered reasonable prices and a buffet on Sunday if you like. We were there on St. Patrick's Day and the bar was hopping with live music, smoke and noise so we chose to sit in the restaurant area which was fine. The wait staff was always nice and helpful. However, the overall dirty rooms made us decide we will never stay here again unless they remodel and clean it up.

• Liked — restaurant
  • Disliked — filthy rooms
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Flossmoor, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

We stayed at the Clarion in New Kensington for 3 nights at the end of September 2006, when we were there for a school class reunion. (We stayed there five years ago for a previous class reunion.) It's nothing special and looks just a little drab from the outside but it's perfectly adequate if you want a place to stay in this area of small towns where there aren't many choices. It's set back from the main highway and is therefore quiet. Clean, nice-sized room. Furnishings in the room looked new. Comfortable bed, sufficient towels, wide hallways, pleasant staff. Everything worked. No free continental breakfast, but breakfast is very inexpensive in the restaurant in the motel, which serves three meals a day and provides room service. We noted that some "locals" were there for breakfast (a good sign). The outdoor pool is quite large but of course was closed for the season. Public areas are spacious, brightly lit and pleasant enough. It has facilities for meetings and group meals and appears to be a popular place for receptions and other get-togethers (another good sign). There were several events and meetings while we were there (all of them sedate). We'd stay there again.

Stayed September 2006
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2006

This hotel has seen better days and seemed moldy. The bathroom had a cracked sink and the toilet looked very old. The walls are extremely thin, so you can hear room to room clearly and hallway noise. The help was fine and friendly, but the rooms (they're all alike) are furnished very cheaply and the place just seems VERY old. Even the remote on the TV was about 25 years old. The place needs a complete makeover.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2005

After 20 years we planned our first family trip to New Kensington for a family reunion. I spoke with Kelly on the phone to reserve our stay and we chatted a moment about places we'd like to see. When we arrived at the hotel Kelly was there behind the desk smiling like an old friend. She had us all checked in within moments with no glitches. During our stay I came to the desk several times to ask about sites to see and she printed us out directions and gave us ideas about the town. Along with other staff members we felt like we could go to the front desk at anytime to ask questions. The maids brought us warm towels the first night we were there and they asked us how our stay was going. We even spent time in the gym a couple of nights. I was really thankful for their laundry room after my son got soaked at the reunion and we needed the clothes for the next day.
We found out that a new mall was built and two of the front desk girls printed out directions again for us to drive over there.
We plan on staying at the Clarrion next summer again during the time of our family reunion. I would recommend this hotel to anyone heading for New Kensington. It's located next to convenience stores, the mall, restaurants and gas stations and most of all the staff was really helpful to us and made us feel very welcomed.

Cherie Jackson- Simi Valley CA

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2005

THE CLARION (NEW KENSINGTON)
Recently I had the priveledge of returning to New Kensington to attend a special family event, a 50th family reunion. I did not hesitate to reserve a room at The Clarion Hotel , a place that I had stayed once before.I made my reservation over the phone, and had no problems getting what I wanted. I also knew that many of my family members would be staying there as well.
In the past, I had booked online, and called later to make sure that what I had asked for, was indeed reserved. Either way , I had no problems getting what I wanted. I was advised however, that due to reunions and weddings, calling early was a must if I wanted to be sure of getting a room during peak seasons....in this case Summer. My advice would be to make your reservation at least a few months in advance.Check in was 2:00pm. and check out 12 noon, and a reseravation could be canceled if necessary up until 4:pm the day of your arrival (without being charged).This made things easier for me in that I was not sure if I was going to even be able to go to the reunion, but did not want to miss out on getting the room I wanted.
Centrally located, The Clarion is a great place to stay in that it is close to a large grocery store,a well known department discount store, several restaurants/ fast food, and gas station.Most of what I needed or wanted or had forgotten to pack, was at my disposal, and close by even at a walking distance.
Being a person that exercises everyday, the hotel provided a way for me to do this. A small one room gym with mirrored wall, offered a few pieces of equipment that were at my disposal each day. It may not have been the biggest gym, but I was there for a reunion, not for the olympics, and wanted to make sure I was able to get in some form of daily exercise. A large pool out back, was clean and the area around was always kept up, and since humidity was high this past Summer, I took advantage of what they had to offer.The pool stayed open till 10 pm. on the weekends and 9pm on weekdays.(I was told the pool opens on Memorial Day for the Summer season, and is closed for the Winter)
Seating areas were scattered around the air conditioned lobby, which was a good size and kept very cool. There were many things offered to the guests.Machines filled with an array of drinks and snacks in a room off the lobby, restrooms, telephones, a lounge and of course the friendly staff at the front desk.Who more than once were able to give me directions to wherever I needed to go, or make some helpful suggestions, like the new mall that is about 10 minutes away.
The hotel restaurant serves breakfast as early as 6:30 but does not serve lunch. This did not bother me, because I was off and going for the rest of the day.They remain open till 10 pm and do serve dinner.
The staff at The Clarion are always helpful, and ready to serve. Housekeeping was polite, always knocked before entering to clean my room, and more than willing to wait if I needed more time, returning later at a time I suggested.They always smiled and wished me a good morning as they passed me in the halls, and sometimes asked me if they could do anything for me. The front desk, was on the ball each time I called upon them for anything, making sure that what I asked for, I got. When I called for a "wake up call" they woke me up at the right time.
My room was clean, well lighted, well stocked with towels, fresh linens were put on the beds each day, and I was able to keep my room as cool as I wanted , by the touch of a dial.
The Clarion does allow pets. So for those of you who are allergic, it would be wise to inform them when making a reservation, so that they can put you in the room that is best for you.
Although the Clarion is not a new hotel,with chocolates or flowers in the rooms....chandeliers and high prices, it was a very hospitable hotel, with workers who are warm and friendly, and most willing to make your stay there a happy one. The hotel itself is average,with basic beds and rooms that offer a clean and comfortable place to stay at a good price.
Would I book it again? You bet! This was my experience and I hope that it helps you in your choice of hotels when visiting this lovely city.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2005

This hotel was terrible. The air conditioning did not work. The staff was rude and threaten us if we choice to move to another hotel. The buffet breakfast was cold. Don't stay at this hotel if you can help it!

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!