“Worst B&B I have ever stayed at!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Porches on the Towpath

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Hope
Porches on the Towpath
You added Porches on the Towpath to your Saves list
20 Fisher's Alley, New Hope, PA 18938   |
Ranked #3 of 17 New Hope B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mooresville, North Carolina
“Worst B&B I have ever stayed at!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

I have stayed at B&Bs all over North America and know what to expect by now. This place was the worst.

I stayed in Room 3, which while nicely decorated, had the hardest, most uncomfortable bed ever! I might as well have slept on the wood floor. The mattress was only 4 inches thick, on a wood platform, and you could feel the wood right through it. My wife and I barely slept and both woke with back pains.

The room itself was very small and had no ventilation. Despite being a beautiful spring day and 72 degrees outside, all the windows of the house were nailed shut! Even if you could have pried them open, there was a solid glass storm window beyond that. There was no air circulation, no fans and no air conditioning. I felt like I was suffocating.

After a long warm afternoon walk, I came back to relax hoping to find some refreshments and snacks, which is typical of most B&Bs. There was nothing. I asked the owner for something cold to drink, and he said there were a 100 restaurants in town, so go out and buy a drink! The breakfast was nothing to brag about either. It consisted of a greasy egg soufflé. A piece of bread or toast would have gone a long way to make it more palatable, but the host said they have enough work running the place and couldn't be bothered.

The gardens were a mess with years of overgrowth and dead plants. It looked like it had been abandoned for years. As first impressions are important for customers, I can't understand how they let the outside of the place get so run down.

Never again will I visit this inn and thank goodness I only had to stay one night!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

This was our second location on our big gay honeymoon roadtrip adventure driving from NYC to LA.

A romantic setting with old world charm from the room and building. Not so much charm from the owners though. When our shower tap came off in our hands, spraying water all over us and the room, we were made to feel as if it was our fault and banished to the front room for breakfast whilst all other guests were treated to breakfast on the porch in the sunshine. It was only the plumber who reasured us that the plumbing and fixtures were old and it was just bad luck that it happened to be us using the shower when it finally gave up the ghost and fell to bits!

That said, New Hope is a beautiful destination, and one that welcomes gay travellers with open arms
See our video for more details

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
toledo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

We stayed here for one night recently and can say that it was a great night in New Hope.

Porches isn't kept up like a 5-star resort and it should never be that way. The pleasure of staying here is that things are a little unkept but that adds to the mystery and fun.

The room (#3, I think) was very, very nice. Private bathroom. Excellent bed and awesome antique touches. We had a door to the upstairs porch and could come and go as we please without entering the main house door.

Excellent breakfast and very friendly owners. They have a cool dog and cat. It's a fun place and funky. The price is a little high but spend a little more and get a great experience that you'll remember.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I guess you would be enthralled with this place if you had never stayed at a B&B before. Its got "charm" but the other reviewer who detailed the cluttered and dark public spaces had it right. The threadbare towels which smelled totally musty once wet were a turn off. Sitting outside for breakfast is a nice idea until you see the unswept porch and the cat begging for food or the squirrel that jumps right onto the porch near your feet while eating. There was no choice for breakfast. A plate of scrambled eggs and a few pieces of bacon with what looked like a Pillsbury Homestyle Biscuit. And a bowl of cut fruit. What if you hate eggs, or are allergic? I thought there would be muffins or some backup choice of continental breakfast, but no. Garden completely overgrown. A weird vibe about the whole place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Centreville, MD.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

New Hope, Pennsylvania, for me, has been a place full of fond memories for most of my life. Staying at "Porches on the Towpath" B&B for two nights just added some more joy to those memories.
My wife and I needed to take a couple days off and after looking at several possible choices in the area decided on "Porches", a most delightful spot, right in the heart of the village and right on the canal.
Our cozy, little room on the second floor rear of the house overlooked the canal and we were treated each morning to a chorus of "quacking" ducks on the towpath and in the canal. Our room had direct access to the second floor porch and its inviting wicker furniture.
The room itself was very thoughtfully decorated -- with real paintings on the walls, rather than the "stamped out" prints you find in motel rooms. Our host, John, likes to frequent the nearby flea markets for interesting antiques and collectibles to liven up the rooms.
John prepares the breakfasts, which are served out on -- yes, you guessed it -- the downstairs porch. He is ably assisted by "Mimi", his ever-present, enthusiastic little pup, and "Spencer", his aging but attentive cat. Fruit and juice as starters, followed by a marvelous blueberry cobbler the first morning and a quiche the second. Coffee sits close by for self serving.
The rooms get straightened up each morning after you've gone off to take in the sites, ride the restored scenic railroad, or cross the bridge over the Delaware River to Lambertville, NJ for some antique hunting. You'll have an opportunity to leave a little something in an envelop for "Housekeeping".
Don't miss John's garden, just off that same front porch. Intimate for sure, and maybe a bit overgrown, it gives the guest a spot to explore after breakfast or before turning in before dark. You'll find a fish pond, a gazebo where you can sit for a quiet chat, and, tucked back under overhanging tree branches, a comfy hammock. One word of caution however -- keep an eye out for poison ivy, as there are a few signs of that nasty vine here and there.
My wife and I so enjoyed our stay with John, Mimi and Spencer at "Porches", that on our next trip up to New Hope we will for sure book a room with them.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Falls Church, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I stayed one night at Porches after reading all the favorable reviews on Tripadvisor and checking the Porches website. What a huge mistake! As soon as I pulled into the parking lot and saw the place, I went "uh-oh..." I'm still wondering how it could be the same place everyone said was first rate...

The basic house could probably be nice enough if somebody replaced the worn-out furnishings, gave it a good cleaning, cleared out the clutter, swept the peanut shells and other debris off the porches, applied some new paint, and took a weed-whacker to the garden area. Most B&B owners take pride in the appearance of their property, but not so at Porches.

Walking into the main house was like going into the musty, overcrowded rooms of an old lady who hasn't cleaned anything in years. So I was glad to get a room in the separate building, but it was also small and cluttered with no wi-fi or hair dryer, a dirty battered old 13" TV, and a musty smell. Being inside the room was smothering. Fortunately, the weather was good so I could sit outside to get fresh air on the deck (unswept).

The owner was pleasant and served a full breakfast, but that's not enough to excuse the lack of care and cleaning for a B&B charging $155 per night ($200 with taxes). I've stayed at many B&B's and had terrific results based upon the feedback of Tripadvisor reviews. But I would urge you to be very wary of all the great reviews here about Porches. A few folks mentioned that Porches needs a good cleaning, but they were way too polite about how bad this place really is.

New Hope itself is a touristy town that was overrun on a Sunday afternoon with the loud noise and crowds of Harley owners who apparently flock there every weekend to hang out. After having scouted the area, I would recommend staying in Lambertville or Frenchtown, which seem quieter, prettier, and less crowded than New Hope. The Delaware and Raritan Trail on the NJ side is beautiful and in excellent condition for riding a bike or hiking. It's a beautiful area, but be careful about where you stay...

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Bayonne, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

My first overnight experience in New Hope and it was wonderful. From check-in to check-out, I never went near my vehicle; it's all within walking distance from Porches. From the elegance of the room (No. 4), to the delicous breakfasts, to John and Chrissy making one feel very welcome and cared for, it was one of the best experiences I've had, a total pleasure to stay there. I couldn't have been more pleased.

• Stayed August 2009

Been to Porches on the Towpath? Share your experiences!