“Attention to detail - Food GREAT! Accomodations AVOID!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Phillips Mill

Inn at Phillips Mill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Hope
Inn at Phillips Mill
You added Inn at Phillips Mill to your Saves list
New Hope, PA 18938   |
Ranked #13 of 17 New Hope B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Attention to detail - Food GREAT! Accomodations AVOID!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

The place is charming, it has a European vibe to it which makes it different from most B&B's. I have to say though I felt like the people who run the place are not sure how to accommodate customers who are there to stay overnight. When you asked them questions they seemed confused. I read other reviews on this place and they all said the same thing. It's actually pretty amusing because I asked some simple questions but they seemed quite lost. My wife and I felt like we entered the Twilight Zone...... DO NOT stay overnight! The beds in the place are FULL beds, not even queen. I am 6'2 and I did NOT fit in the bed... The rooms are clean and nicely European Country decorated, again real charming.

On the positive side the food was EXCELLENT! The service was also GREAT. I think this place really concentrates on the food portion, because it was top notch! I loved my meal and my wife agreed completely.. The service again was good. All in all I would ABSOLUTELY eat here again, but WOULD not stay. I would recommend the food for dinner but not to stay. One last thing it is a B&B and the Breakfast BLEW! It was a Dry croissant. If you pride yourself as a B&B make the people a proper breakfast..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tashu0284
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

My mom and I came to New Hope to enjoy a girls weekend away. On the friday night we went to the Inn at Phillips Mill restaurant and although it was raining, the atmosphere was great in the dining area that overlooked the garden. I had a their evening special (an asparagus and crab meat soup) and it was very good. The waitress had told me that their soups are pretty popular so i took her suggestion. The escargot came in a litle puff pastry and was delicious. I took the scallops as my main dish - it was in a bercy sauce and came with mashed potatoes (if you like scallops, order this dish). My mom had the fillet mignon with blue cheese - also very good. I had read reviews that the service was horrible - i think it needs some improvement (they take themselves a bit seriously) but all in all it was decent. Not good but not bad. Remember that this is a BYOB and they only accept cash or check.

• Stayed June 2009
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

We went to the Inn on Sunday march 1. We had very good service and the food was excellant. I started with a black bean soup. Followed with a salad with perfectly cooked Quail. Finally a perfect portion of pasta with sausage. I am very picky. This is about the best meal I have had this side of Little Washington, VA

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

Unbelievably bad service. We have been there a number of times and service has always been poor, but this dipped to new lows. Server (Judy) did not greet us with a smile (indeed, she snarled, an expression that she maintained throughout the evening) and could barely be bothered to take our orders or serve our food. It was appalling (and even somewhat humerous because the behavior was so bizarre). Although the food has generally been good and the BYO policy makes it quite affordable, we will not return.

• Stayed July 2008
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

I wish I had read the reviews on this site before we went to The Inn at Phillips Mill for dinner. I have NEVER written a bad review before, but my experience last night has pushed me into action. In short, the staff is what ruined the experience. The only word that comes to mind is "surly." They definitely treat you like you are a bother and any request (like ordering dessert or coffee) is truly a burden for them. Top it off with average food and above average price and I cannot see any reason to recommend it. STAY AWAY!! There are much better places to stay and/or eat in the New Hope area.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brian623
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

Extremely disappointing. We live locally and have been to the restaurant a few times over the past winter, with mixed results. We always found the staff to be a bit snooty. My wife and I and another couple had a reservation at 8pm for 4 to celebrate my birthday. The maitre'd gave us an attitude the moment we walked in because they had us in the reservation book for 2, not 4 as we had requested. After 50 minutes of waiting in a crowded entryway while others were seated, I confronted the rather nasty maitre'd who finally seated us. We didn't even get a glass of water until a full hour after we had arrived. Our wine had gotten warm, and we waited another ten minutes before our rather inept waitress arrived with an ice bucket. The food was mediocre at best. My wife's tuna (ordered rare) arrived overcooked (she thought they made a mistake and brought her salmon!) I had ordered the roasted lamb which was also overcooked and quite tough. The waitress never came back to see how the food was, and by the time our entrees were cleared away we were advised that as far as dessert, "there really isn't much left..."

Many things can go wrong on a busy Saturday night, but a properly trained staff would have gone a long way to making our frustrating experience better.

The Inn at Phillips Mill is a charming place, but obviously good service and well-prepared food are clearly not a priority here.

• Liked — Charming location.
  • Disliked — Surly, inept staff.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Bucks County PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

On the positive side, we have been coming to this establishment for 15 years and it has ALWAYS been consistently wonderful. The atmosphere, food, service. That is until this evening. My dinner was very good, however, my husband ordered the SPECIAL which was very tough. Not wanting to be negative and spoil our evening out, he forced half of his dinner. Also, our service lacked the usual professionalism and we were forgotten about at least once while waiting for beverages . When the check was presented, we told them of the problem and our waitress stated she would tell the chef ?? (not the manager) Upon returning home, I made a phone call and asked for the manager. I was told by the person on the phone she could help as she worked in the office. I relayed the whole issue and the only thing worse than the dinner was the treatment I received by her. Later I found out that she just happened to be our waitress. As I told her, this will be the last time I ever patronize the Inn at Phillips Mill. I realize anyone/anyplace can have an OFF night, but rudeness and the lack of caring about your customers are a different story. There could have had a happier ending had they been in tune with the customer. I have referred many people to this restaurant, now I will tell them of my past experience.

Stayed May 2008

Been to Inn at Phillips Mill? Share your experiences!