“The Inn at Phillips Mill ” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Phillips Mill

Inn at Phillips Mill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Hope
Inn at Phillips Mill
You added Inn at Phillips Mill to your Saves list
New Hope, PA 18938   |
Ranked #12 of 16 New Hope B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“The Inn at Phillips Mill ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2005

Last weekend I had one of the most unpleasant dining experiences of my life at The Inn at Phillips Mill in New Hope, PA. Living in Bucks County, where the choice of good restaurants for small celebrations is limited, I have been to this restaurant a number of times, and while the look of the place is charming and the food generally better than average, I have never found the service more than barely adequate. Last weekend it was even worse than that.

As we’ve done in the past, my guests and I shrugged off, the dour snooty attitude of the “greeter” at the door (I’ve never been able to determine if there actually is a host or hostess), as well as the rude shoving aside of the various parties waiting to be seated by the “waitstaff” as they hurried through looking harrassed and unhappy, announcing their passage with staccato phrases like, “You’re in the way. Get out of the way.” This has always been par for the course at the Inn, where there is no unobtrusive place to stand when several parties are waiting for tables, backs up against the entrance door or against other waiting diners, and it’s too cold to wait outside. We jumped around to get out of the way for a half hour or so before being led to a table on a dark, closed-in terrace at the back.

There were only three or four tables on the terrace, two on our side of the door. At the table behind us was a young couple. A pleasant waitress brought menus and our opened wine bottles (it’s a BYO place). I was beginning to pour the first glass when a cell phone rang at the table behind us. It was answered by the female member of the couple with cries of delight, after which she and the person she was speaking to—her mother, it turned out--shouted jubilantly at each other for the next five minutes (we could hear not only her part of the conversation but her mother’s as well). Obviously something quite wonderful was happening in her life, but after a while we started getting a little irritated at my table; I turned to ask if she could tone it down a little. Her male partner got incensed, informing us that they had just become engaged and she was telling her mother about it. We said congratulations but it was their celebration, not ours, and the conversation might better be carried on outside.

The altercation is not important. It’s not a restaurant’s fault when customers lack manners and become abusive (though banning the use of cellphones in restaurants might help to avoid some particularly noisome types of abusiveness). What is important is what the restaurant does or does not do when that happens. After being challenged by the young man to “take it outside” where Galahad was no doubt going to defend the honor of his lady, my partner, old enough to be his father, said we should leave. My sister and I followed after a moment and joined my partner in front of a fireplace where the person who may have been the host was talking to him and the young man, urging us to wait a moment; we would be given another table in a different room.

We were seated to wait on a couch in front of a fire. Eventually our wine bottles were placed on the table before us, without, I should say, the glasses I had been pouring the wine into. Those glasses never arrived, nor did any glasses at all. Nor did the host, for that matter, for another 25 minutes, at which point we started putting on our coats again. Desiring to get the corks back in our bottles for the drive home, I went to look for the host who was setting up a table for four in the front room, a table that had been set up and empty since our arrival, let me add. I said we were going; he said they were just fixing up the table for us. I didn’t want what had been intended as a festive evening to end on such a sour note so I convinced the rest of my party to stay, especially since the host assured us the restaurant would go out of its way to see we could now look forward to a very pleasant evening.

We should, of course, have left, but I thought the restaurant might really go a little out of its way, possibly plunk down an amuse-gueulle or something, to take the nasty edge off the night, especially since it was already after ten and we had been there since 8.30. We did now get wine glasses, it’s true. And our new waiter did come to us soon after we sat down to say that having heard why we had changed tables he was absolutely behind us. That, unfortunately, was pretty much the extent of the restaurant’s attempt to make us happy, or the show of our waiter’s allegiance. After taking our orders he disappeared from the room and, the few times he walked through, he paid no attention to our table at all. We had to wait an inordinate amount of time to get our food, and “If you didn’t like it, why didn’t you tell me?” he did say when he went to take away the plate of my sister, who sent back her overseasoned entrée untouched. But that was after it had been sitting in front of her for the duration of the meal and she certainly had no desire for anything else. (We were, for what it’s worth, charged full price for her entrée).

I will never return there myself, and will certainly discourage anyone I meet from dining at the Inn at Phillips Mill. Old, romantic and charming as any place may be, nothing excuses this kind of indifference to the well-being of a restaurant’s guests.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2004

Stayed there about 8 months ago and founf it to be just fine..Would love to go back...

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2004

I have always loved Bucks County and grew up nearby. I now live over an hour away but once a year, my husband and drive down for dinner on our anniversary. we were very excited about going to the Inn at Phillips Mill and booked our reservation for an outside table several weeks in advance. I was told when i called that i was responsible for calling to confirm before hand, which i did the day before we were booked to go. They confirmed that they had a table for us outside reserved. We made the long trek down but when we arrived they told us that had no reservation for us. They (the 2 hosts) discussed this openly in front of us and agreed to squeeze us in to table 35- though it was already reserved for someone else who was set to arrive in an hour and a half. The 2nd host said "that's ok, they'll be done in time for next reservation". (totally inappropriate to discuss in front of us) I said, upon hearing this- we reserved an outside table. Is 35 outside? The male host's demeanor changed immediately and said- no it is not outside. I said, we came here to sit outside and booked it several weeks ago. He said we cannot accomodate that request. There was no apology and he was actually very defensive and rude. It was awkward to say the least and made us very uncomfortable. Our inside table was fine but not what we were anticipating on a beautiful july evening on our 3rd wedding anniversary after a long drive. We decided to make the best of it and enjoy the breathtaking atmosphere. I was determined to enjoy the rest of the evening as was my husband, however the food was mediocre at best. I orderd the tuna special. It was so salty that I could not eat it. As a last resort, I attemted to eat the 1 small red potato on the side but it was rock hard and raw. I asked for another, cooked one and was given a second raw potato that I had to use a knife to just cut into. I was so disappointed with the Inn at Philips mill. It is such a beautiful place and it is a shame that the food and service does not match the atmosphere. We were told that the owners have had it for 30 years and have changed nothing in that time. This means no credit cards are accepted and there is no liquor license. This would not bother me except this helps explain the attitude and food. They ahven't had to change anything in all this time because they continually get business depsite problems.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2004

I was introduced to the Inn at Phillips Mill over 15 years ago by a friend who suggested we go there for lunch. It was the most magical place I've ever been to. Since that wonderful day I have made it my business to visit once a year and stay at the Inn as well as other B & B's in the area but I always go for dinner even if I'm not able to stay there. It is by far my favorite of all Inns in the area. The Inn at Phillips Mill is a really special place for me and I plan to continue my visits there at least once a year in the future.

• Stayed August 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2004

The most adorable inn I have ever stayed at!!! My husband and I stay for a weekend every February to celebrate Valentines Day. We are smart and celebrate the weekend or two after Valentines to avoid the crowd.
(It gets a bit high stress/crowded in the restaurant, on the actual holiday). The food is just amazing, and it is BYOB which we love! Also there is a huge fireplace to enjoy a before/after dinner drink in front of!

The rooms are adorable, very cozy and warm with the coolest antiques everywhere. It is especially perfect it it has just snowed!!! My recomendation, ask for a room away from the kitchen. (We once stayed in a room above it and it was noisy.....)

In the morning, they leave a delicious basket with warm muffins, tea, coffee...at your door!

Highly recommended! And while in New Hope in the winter, check out Carla's in the heart of the town for a hot chocolate and lunch!

Philadelphia,PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2003

The Inn has charm, grace, and an outstanding ambience. My meal cosisted of an appitizer of escargot, my main couse of Duck(crisp with tasty sauce),and an excellent dessert. The food ,service and staff made my birthday an enjoyable experience.

Been to Inn at Phillips Mill? Share your experiences!