“Never stay here, even when renovations are complete” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in New Cumberland
pittsburgh
“Never stay here, even when renovations are complete”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This place is in the process of renovating. The job being done is an improvement, albeit sloppily constructed renovations really damper the overall product. My complaint is that they have no right to sell the unfinished rooms. They gave up on them and, as a result, they are in terrible conditions... One room 330, that I was switched to because a headboard in the previous room 323 was not on the wall, had a hole in the floor big enough to put two feet in. This is a major hazard. On my final room, the clueless front desk lady put me in room 332, which smelled like an ashtray. I went down and asked to cancel the reservation, and the girl said that the owner will not give me another room to try and that, if I would cancel, I would be charged one night. This is unacceptable. On top of that, I found out that both nights were charged. I am calling choice hotels immediately to fix this. Stay away from here, there are plenty of other hotels with good customer service and great accomodations in the area that will love to have your business.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Allentown, Pa.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed here for two days because it was close to my daughter's soccer tournament. Room was generally clean, though I had to kill a bug of undetermined species in the bathroom upon arrival. Hallways were dirty due to ongoing renovation. Shower drain couldn't handle water flow. Beds were a bit firm, which I liked. Nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room for the price. I'd actually give it a 2-1/2 ranking if I could -- not quite a 2, but definitely not a 3.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Middle Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel has only a few rooms renovated and the other rooms are gross. The pictures do not show what this hotel really looks like. There was a hole in the floor in my room the manger said he knew about it so it was covered up with the carpet. The breakfast is not deluxe and there is a limit on how much a person can take. Spoke to the manger about my concerns and he gave me some cranberry raisins to appease my frustrations with the hotel.
Called Choice Hotels the manger had 72 hours to get back to me he claimed he wrote a letter, but he never did. Sandra from Choice Hotels has taken my concerns seriously, false advertising, gross breakfast, and a hole in the floor. I will continue to ask for a refund because this was horrible experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Daytona Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed at this Comfort Inn during a motorcycle trip from Florida to New England, and then Pittsburgh, PA. The hotel was a halfway stop, and with many of the hotels in the area being expensive, we used our Choice travel points for our stay. The hotel was older and worn out. The clerks did not appear happy to be there, and acted accordingly. The room had a hot tub, which we did not use. The TV was old, had 2 controllers and no sound. WiFi was intermittent. The buffet breakfast was the worst of the trip. The only plus , other than costing us nothing was easy access to the PA Turnpike to continue our trip. We ate dinner next door at Doc Holiday's Restaurant which was very good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New Brunswick
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Where do I begin.... when we first arrived at the hotel there was an awful smell in the hotel and the outdoor pool was green. We asked the girl at the front desk what the smell is and she advised it is the sewage system behind them. We got to our floor, smelled bad and many stains on the carpet. The room was small, but decent, some of the wall was not fully painted, and not the cleanest but much better than the entry and hall way. We were booked for three nights. We went out for supper and when we returned there was another group of people also complaining to the manager (also believed to be the owner) regarding the conditions. The people wanted their money refunded due to the conditions, but he was refusing. Police had to show up as apparently the dispute must have been getting heated. I spoke to the girl at the front desk to advise we are checking out due to the conditions of the hotel. She advised there is no charge and printed my receipt showing no charge. We moved to the Holiday Inn directly across the street and had a wonderful stay.

I understand this place is being renovated, but even the renovated parts are not decent. It is very dirty, stains and bad smells.

Oh by the way... they still charged me for a night. When I called the hotel to explain that I I was not be charged and explained that I have the receipt to show I will not be charged, the manager advised he is charging me and hung up. I tried calling him back several times to discuss it and all he says is to call my credit card company. I ask him who the regional manager for the area and he hangs up on me.

Never had this experience before. Awful place, awful management. No amount of renovations will deal with the cleanliness and customer service of any place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

doors didnt lock, no handle on doors, smells like sewer, clocks didnt work, beds were "lollipop" sticky, showers leaked, had black stuff in the showers, had to shower in flip flops, you couldnt see the bottom of the shallow end of the pool, no fire extinguishers. Go to holiday inn across the street. BEST HOTEL EVER!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

To start off let me say I have stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times. I have friends in the area and this was my usual hotel-of-choice. In fact, I had stayed in this hotel just 1 week prior to this stay that I'm going to be reviewing.

The hotel is currently under construction with roughly have the hotel finished. When I booked the room it showed the new-style rooms which honestly look very up-to-date on their website. I figured it'd be perfect... new rooms and freshly updated should mean a nice, quiet, pleasant stay.

It wasn't.

When we checked into our room the young lady at the front desk was quite helpful but as other reviewers have mentioned they do NOT use their air conditioning in the common areas. The temperature read-out on their big clock by the front desk said it was 81 degrees inside (and 93 outside). That's pretty irksome, why can't they turn on the AC? Regardless, we checked in and took our luggage to the room. We had some food we went to put in the in-room refrigerator but noticed it was actually warmer inside the fridge versus the temperature of the room. I had asked when I made the reservation that the AC be turned on in my room before I got there so it wouldn't be over 80 degrees when I arrived. They didn't. Additionally the room had a thick coating of dust on literally EVERYTHING. I had to wipe down my bed before placing anything on it. I know they are under construction but surely the maids dust, right?

Next I powered on my laptop but noticed there was a password needed for the WIFI. I went to phone to call down to the front desk but there was no dial-tone. I went back downstairs to the front desk where the helpful young lady said they had no other rooms to put us in besides one that was under construction otherwise they were sold-out. I asked if we got a different room if we'd get a partial refund as it isn't at all like the room I reserved. She said she wasn't able to do that and that her manager was out of town. She then said she'd send somebody up to look at the fridge and phone but "I have to warn you, he doesn't speak English and would be more comfortable if you weren't there". JOY. I went back up to our room and about 10 minutes later a guy shows up, just walks in without even acknowledges my existence and fidgets with the fridge. He leaves (left our room door wide open) and comes back 5 minutes later with a new phone. He tries the phone and I could tell he didn't have any luck as he threw his hands up and walked out. Again, he left the door wide open. 30 minutes later I go to the front desk where the nice lady said "Oh he says there is no phone line in that room and I tried calling my manager but he won't answer." She said that there was nothing she could do for me other than give us an under-construction room at the full price. She did tell me that the manager would be back the next morning. I honestly tried to find another hotel room in the area but had no luck. To be honest, we did have cell phones but what if they needed to reach us? I could tell the front desk worker felt bad but without her manager her hands were tied.

My family and I went out for the evening and when we returned there was not one single parking spot for us. The construction equipment in the back takes up well over half the spaces and since they were sold out I had to park my vehicle in a different hotel's lot and walk back. When I got back to the room we found out the toilet also was broken. It would not stop running unless you either jiggled the handle or dismantled part of the tank and fidgeted with the flush valve. I would've called down to the front desk but... well yeah you get the picture.

The next morning we go to check out and ask for the manager. The new young lady at the front desk (who was truly very helpful too) said the manager wasn't going to be back until the next day. We recap everything and she was horrified but again her hands were tied. She tried calling her manager while we were standing there. Lo and behold he picked up! But when she told him what was going on her face went from cheery to sour... we could tell he gave her a very stern talking to and said he refused to talk to us. If we wanted to talk to him we would have to leave our name and number. She felt awful and couldn't believe it, either.

I left my name and number and 4 days later haven't heard anything from him. I've called him 3 more times but each time he doesn't pick up and doesn't return my voicemails. I've registered a complaint with ChoiceHotels and they quickly offered me a free night at a "8000 point Comfort Inn" but I said I want just a partial refund not another hotel stay. The lady understood and apologized for the manager's lack of, well, being a manager.

HOW PATHETIC. And on top of everything, they have these nice new rooms and the same old TV's they have had for years. You have to use 2 remotes to work the TV (hello, 1995) and they come complete with a VCR. (hello, 1985). They lost a very very long-time customer. Shame on them!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!