“The worst! Dirty! Disgusting! Disgraceful!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   148 Sheraton Drive, I-83 & PA Turnpike Exit 242, New Cumberland, PA 17070   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 13 hotels in New Cumberland
New York
“The worst! Dirty! Disgusting! Disgraceful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

We brought the family to Hershey Park. We stay in hotels about 10-15 days a year and never experienced anything like the filth that we encountered at the holiday inn. Absolutely disgusted with the hotel. The chair had huge stains and chunks of food (I hope it was only food), the white bed comforter had a large brown stain that was fresh and clearly was not washed, the tub was filthy, the toilet had fecal matter on the handle and one of the seat hinges was broken, the screws on door security lock were stripped and very loose. The staff was nice and did remove the chair from our room. However, they took the only swapped the chair with the room next to ours. I have taken photos and plan on contacting the corporate office.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
baltimore, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed for three nights to take in Hershey Park and were delighted with our stay. We had reservations for another hotel (Rodeway Inn) and ended up refusing the room and driving across the road to the Holiday Inn at the last moment to ask for a room. We had two small dogs and were thrilled to find out that we could keep them with us and were given a very resonable rate of $89 per night. The beds were so comfy and our room overlooked the pool with a nice balcony. Room was very nicely decorated with a desk as well as a small table and chairs. We had plenty of room and everything was very clean. Bathroom was a little small but clean and had nice towels. Kids loved the pool and lobby was comfortable place to relax and read paper. The front desk and maintenance staff were very friendly and helpful and we would love to stay here again. Well worth the price and close to Hershey Park. Bob Evans is walking distance and a good way to start to day before heading to the park. Hotel did not charge us anything additional for having a pet, and promptly refunded the small pet deposit at check out after looking over room and finding no damage. Highly reccomend especially if you are traveling with pets.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Allentown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

We held our Board meeting here. We found that the staff was pleasant and helpful. The food was great! This hotel met all of ours needs. We are returning for future meetings.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

I was very concerned with this hotel after reading some of the reviews, so I asked to see a room before we checked in, and was pleasantly suprised. The front desk clerk and manager were very polite and helpful. I travel extensively with and without my family of four. I prefer a large one or two bedroom suite when possible, but this hotel is at least on par with any other Holiday Inn I have stayed at. My girls really enjoyed the novelty of having a room that faced the indoor pool. The negative reviews seem questionable and out of character with what we saw. The room, though small, was clean and updated. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

My husband and I visited several venues to locate the perfect spot for our wedding reception. From day one, our wedding Coordinator Vanessa Straub was upbeat, fun to work with, and extremely professional. The hotel offered a lovely evening in which we were able to try out the foods that were offered to ensure that what we chose for our special day was exactly to our taste. When the wedding day finally came, I have to say that our experience with the Harrisburg Holiday Inn & Conference Center in New Cumberland, PA far exceeded even our best expectations. The venue was decorated in a lovely manner, staff were pleasant and always on hand to assist, and the guests commented that it was the "nicest wedding they'd ever attended" and that it "seeemed like everything was planned in consideration of the guests". I felt like a princess from the minute we arrived and my husband and I danced our first dance as husband and wife. The food was excellent and our guests made frequent mention of how delicious it was. Despite warm temperatures that day, Ms. Straub interceded whenever any quick thinking was needed to assist our guests and my Mother ( who is not easily impressed) commented to me later in the day how much Ms. Straub impressed even her. Many of our guests were able to book rooms in a block at very reasonable prices and the family enjoyed a lovely breakfast the next morning in the Elephant and Castle Pub. One special touch that really warmed my Mom's heart was when she saw that the flowers we had paid quite a bit of money for but were unable to take with us that she had indicated to staff could be taken home or used in whatever manner they saw fit, coud be seen placed throughout the hotel the next morning. She said they still looked beautiful and she was so happy that they had not gone to waste. When the day finally ended for my husband and I all I could think was that I wished I had the ability to throw a party like that for family and friends more frequently because of how special the hotel staff had made us feel and how much we truly enjoyed our wedding reception at the hotel. Thank you to everyone that worked so hard! My husband Ed and I will never forget that day! Nancy B

• Liked — Beautiful set up; very relaxed, clean, with helpful staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

My husband and I purchased the Dinner, Comedy Show, and Hotel stay package. The comedy show was funny. Our meals at Doc Holliday's were great. The hotel on the other hand was disappointing. Our coffee pot was dirty. The hotel was freezing and smelly. We were called in our room at 10pm and were asked to give up our fridge in the room that we didn't even have. Five minutes later we received a loud knock on our door asking again for the fridge that we didn't even have. Not to mention, the bar staff were rude to my husband. We will come back to see the comedy show but will not stay in this hotel again!

• Liked — The Comedy Show and resteraunt
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
DOSHarrisburg, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
Thank you for your response but I believe that this is not the hotel that you stayed at. There is a property directly across the street from us called the Harrisburg West Conference Center. This property has the Doc Hollidays and also the Comedy Club.

Should you return to the area, we woudl welcome the opportunity to have your stay with us.
Harrisburg, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

We had our wedding reception at this hotel. All in all, very nice, however the customer service sucks. We had personalized items that we brought in for our reception, like all couples do.
We were told at the end of the night *by someone who works there* that they were set aside and we'd have to pick them up later. We do not know the name of the waitress who told us this, therefore they will do nothing.
We spent a lot of money, and brought in a lot of money, but it doesn't mean anything to them.
Also, since when I dropped them off I didn't specifically say, "don't throw these away" it's my fault! Do you have to tell people not to throw away personalized glasses?? Apparently.

It's our fault and we are the ones apparently lying about it.

Ridiculous.

Don't go there.
I recommend the Carlisle Pike Holiday Inn for all your event needs!!!!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!