We booked a room through priceline for Saturday, July 27, 2013. There was no trouble checking in and the staff was friendly and polite. We were told our room was missing its number. No big deal. The hallways and elevator were all clean but definitely worn out, which is not a problem in and of itself. Hotels that are heavily used wear out. It happens.But it does need to be fixed up or it is going to pass to seedy from tired really soon.
Our door key did not work, but a very nice member of the housekeeping staff let us in and when we left an hour later, the key worked. However, it worked inconsistently and took several tries to use it each time.
The room was very dated and had lots of cosmetic issues such as stained wallpaper, rust on bathroom fixtures, etc. However, it was clean. I looked around the toilet, sink, corners, etc. and none of them had build-up. The floor was freshly vaccumed.
All good so far. But then...
1. We booked a room that had a king-sized bed & fold out sofa. I called at 9 pm to inform the front desk we had no sheets for the sofa. I was told they had to be brought to us. I waited 30 minutes and called back and was told there were no sheets available. I don't know what caused this situation, but that is unacceptable. I wasn't expecting the Ritz for the price I paid, but I would like to have at least enough sheets for the number of beds in my room. They promised to work on the situation, but sheets never arrived. My 3 kids and I all slept in the bed. Not much sleep for me!
2. Being a fanatic about bed bugs, I always check my room. This one was clean, but the mattress had a date from 1999. Seriously? I would think that a hotel mattress would be replaced more frequently than every 15 years.
3. The breakfast was terrible. Again, I didn't expect much, but this didn't even meet my low expectations. There was one poor soul working on refilling the VERY busy breakfast buffet. When I informed the desk staff that they might need to call a manager and have him/her check on the kitchen, the young woman just looked at me blankly (while still flipping through a wallet photo album) and said, "I'm sure they have enough people." No. No they did not. There was no way that one person could keep up with the amount of people using the buffet. Also, they hot food was plain awful. Microwaved pre-cooked items. I would suggest that it might be better to skip the idea of a hot breakfast and just go with cereal, fruit, muffins, yogurt. Easier to refill and the food cost of people just trashing the inedible hot stuff is avoided.
These are mostly management/ownership issues - the rooms need to be gutted and redone & they need to make sure there are plenty of sheets on hand and decent food (or just don't offer breakfast). With the exeption of the one front desk clerk I spoke with about breakfast, everyone was attentive and friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located 5 minutes south of Harrisburg in a suburb of New Cumberland. Has easy access off of 2 major highways, Interstate 83 and Interstate 76, the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Attractions that are a short drive away from the hotel include Hershey Park, Pennsylvania State Capitol, Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex, the Amish (Lancaster County), Harley Davidson Plant, and historical Gettysburg. Enjoy local sports with the following clubs: Harrisburg Senators, AAA baseball, and Hershey Bears minor league ice hockey team for the Colorado Avalanche. Indoor heated pool nestled in a tropical courtyard are just 2 of the amenities that are offered. Guests of the Harrisburg Clarion Hotel & Conference Center can enjoy fresh, locally-sourced ingredients and from-scratch cuisine at the hotel’s on-site restaurant and bar, The Garlic Poet. You will find over 21,000 square feet of flexible conference and catering facilities which provide the ideal setting for many special occasions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Choice Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Clarion Hotel & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Harrisburg Hotel New Cumberland
- Holiday Inn New Cumberland
- New Cumberland Holiday Inn