“In major need of rehab” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

You added Clarion Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   148 Sheraton Drive, I-83 & PA Turnpike Exit 242, New Cumberland, PA 17070   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in New Cumberland
Nicholasville, Kentucky
“In major need of rehab”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked a room through priceline for Saturday, July 27, 2013. There was no trouble checking in and the staff was friendly and polite. We were told our room was missing its number. No big deal. The hallways and elevator were all clean but definitely worn out, which is not a problem in and of itself. Hotels that are heavily used wear out. It happens.But it does need to be fixed up or it is going to pass to seedy from tired really soon.
Our door key did not work, but a very nice member of the housekeeping staff let us in and when we left an hour later, the key worked. However, it worked inconsistently and took several tries to use it each time.
The room was very dated and had lots of cosmetic issues such as stained wallpaper, rust on bathroom fixtures, etc. However, it was clean. I looked around the toilet, sink, corners, etc. and none of them had build-up. The floor was freshly vaccumed.
All good so far. But then...
1. We booked a room that had a king-sized bed & fold out sofa. I called at 9 pm to inform the front desk we had no sheets for the sofa. I was told they had to be brought to us. I waited 30 minutes and called back and was told there were no sheets available. I don't know what caused this situation, but that is unacceptable. I wasn't expecting the Ritz for the price I paid, but I would like to have at least enough sheets for the number of beds in my room. They promised to work on the situation, but sheets never arrived. My 3 kids and I all slept in the bed. Not much sleep for me!
2. Being a fanatic about bed bugs, I always check my room. This one was clean, but the mattress had a date from 1999. Seriously? I would think that a hotel mattress would be replaced more frequently than every 15 years.
3. The breakfast was terrible. Again, I didn't expect much, but this didn't even meet my low expectations. There was one poor soul working on refilling the VERY busy breakfast buffet. When I informed the desk staff that they might need to call a manager and have him/her check on the kitchen, the young woman just looked at me blankly (while still flipping through a wallet photo album) and said, "I'm sure they have enough people." No. No they did not. There was no way that one person could keep up with the amount of people using the buffet. Also, they hot food was plain awful. Microwaved pre-cooked items. I would suggest that it might be better to skip the idea of a hot breakfast and just go with cereal, fruit, muffins, yogurt. Easier to refill and the food cost of people just trashing the inedible hot stuff is avoided.

These are mostly management/ownership issues - the rooms need to be gutted and redone & they need to make sure there are plenty of sheets on hand and decent food (or just don't offer breakfast). With the exeption of the one front desk clerk I spoke with about breakfast, everyone was attentive and friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Mattawamkeag, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel is now a Clarion but when I stayed it was still Holiday Inn and was under renovations to the court yard and pool area but overall was decent. Several of our company staff stayed here while working at the nearby power plant and got a decent discount for working at the plant. The restaurant was also nice food was very good and atmosphere was nice but it could get crowded in a hurry during week nights. Have not been back in the area since change over to Clarion but would stay there again due to the location and decent rooms. It was noisy during reno's and room was not the typical room I find at Holiday Inn and its other chains needs serious updating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
We hope you will stay with us again, now that we are a Clarion. We are steadly working on improvements to provide a better experience for our guests.
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My Mother attends a Quilting event each year in Hershey Park. She prefers to stay off the Hershey property due to cost so when I was able to find this hotel for her (good rate/good reviews) she was very excited. The room its self was ok, staff told us we were in an updated room however the bathroom was def. not updated and even had black mold growing in the shower curtain.
One night when my Mother arrived back to the hotel she entered the hotel through the lobby to go to her room as her room had an entrance from the lobby as well as one from an outside entrance. When she opened her door she found the other door to the hall wide open. Hotel staff was very good about coming to check out her room ect however they did admit that the hotel cleaning staff must have not shut her door when they did their morning clean. This means her door was open all day exposing all over her belongings ect all day to whomever felt it was a good idea to take a look. Very disappointed...never again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking your valuable time to submit your review here. We are so sorry for the issue you had with the housekeeping staff leaving your room open. I will once again share that with our housekeeping manager to insure that doesn't happen to anyone else.
Perry, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed last night. I think upgrades have been made. Carpet looked new. Beds were soft and comfy. Pool area is beautiful, and very well maintained. Staff friendly and helpful. Room had Keirig coffee/tea machine. Room was clean as was entire hotel. Had a burger at Garlic poet, cooked the perfect medium that I ordered. I didnt like the fries but burger was excellent, $8. Ish bucks. Bed linens were soft and felt great after a long drive. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
We are so happy that you have taken the time to share the great experience you had at our hotel. We are glad everything was to your liking, and look forward to seeing you again.
Yardley, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The only reason anyone should visit this property is for a meal at The Garlic Poet. This restaurant has outstanding food and service. The Clarion, however, is in a sad state. The building is old and is showing obvious signs of neglect. The only parts of this hotel that don't wreak of cigarette smoke are the lobby, the restaurant and the indoor pool. The staff is friendly, helpful and hard-working, however all their efforts can not compensate for the dilapidated state of the hotel. Avoid.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a room that has been refurbished.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sorry that we failed to meet your expectations, but we are glad that you found our staff to be helpful and hard working. We are working on improvements to the hotel and hope you will stay with us again in the future.
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Hotel has been here for a while and I have stayed here several times for business over the last few years. It used to be a Holiday Inn. I thought the room was comfortable.

Lobby furniture could use replacement. I was working with two other people sitting on the couches and it was very uncomfortable. There was no other central place to meet and work.

Breakfast used to be good at the Holiday Inn. They now have a buffet breakfast and it was terrible. The food was hard and cold.

I would stay here again but I will go to the diner across the street for breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We are glad that you found the room comfortable. Sorry that you didn't ask about a place to meet, we may have been able to set you up in our of our lounges, if available. Our hotel just had a meeting last week regarding breakfast and we hope you will see the positives that came out of it on your next visit.
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

this hotel is very outdated nothing in rooms even match. toilet barely flushes heat and air very poor working condition. the sliding doors from pool to courtyard area do not open. pillows very uncomfortable, better bring your own . curtains old and dirty. carpet moldy. i can go on and on you see the picture tv stand is old dresser with front door removed

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We apologize for failing to meet your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about them as we continue to strive and make improvements.

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!