“Best thing about this hotel is the restaurant” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   148 Sheraton Drive, I-83 & PA Turnpike Exit 242, New Cumberland, PA 17070   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 13 hotels in New Cumberland
Yardley, Pennsylvania, United States
“Best thing about this hotel is the restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The only reason anyone should visit this property is for a meal at The Garlic Poet. This restaurant has outstanding food and service. The Clarion, however, is in a sad state. The building is old and is showing obvious signs of neglect. The only parts of this hotel that don't wreak of cigarette smoke are the lobby, the restaurant and the indoor pool. The staff is friendly, helpful and hard-working, however all their efforts can not compensate for the dilapidated state of the hotel. Avoid.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for a room that has been refurbished.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Sorry that we failed to meet your expectations, but we are glad that you found our staff to be helpful and hard working. We are working on improvements to the hotel and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

187 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Hotel has been here for a while and I have stayed here several times for business over the last few years. It used to be a Holiday Inn. I thought the room was comfortable.

Lobby furniture could use replacement. I was working with two other people sitting on the couches and it was very uncomfortable. There was no other central place to meet and work.

Breakfast used to be good at the Holiday Inn. They now have a buffet breakfast and it was terrible. The food was hard and cold.

I would stay here again but I will go to the diner across the street for breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We are glad that you found the room comfortable. Sorry that you didn't ask about a place to meet, we may have been able to set you up in our of our lounges, if available. Our hotel just had a meeting last week regarding breakfast and we hope you will see the positives that came out of it on your next visit.
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

this hotel is very outdated nothing in rooms even match. toilet barely flushes heat and air very poor working condition. the sliding doors from pool to courtyard area do not open. pillows very uncomfortable, better bring your own . curtains old and dirty. carpet moldy. i can go on and on you see the picture tv stand is old dresser with front door removed

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
We apologize for failing to meet your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about them as we continue to strive and make improvements.
Hunt Valley, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed there for a baseball tournament. Room was on second floor with a balcony overlooking indoor pool. Big mistake not asking for a room change. They are suppose to clear out pool by 9:30 pm, yeah good luck with that...very very loud... The air conditioning is horrible. Your rooms are suppose to have individual controls but I was complaining to housekeeping that my room is so hot, had thermostat set to 60, she said dont bother turning down my temp contoller in room , it doesn't matter what you put temp at, they are all connected..stay on first floor, was much cooler than second floor even in hallways... Was suppose to have microwave and refrigerator in room, didn't. Breakfast was good, eggs, French toast, pastries, bread, yogurt, tater tots.... Front desk were very friendly along with housekeeping..just don't stay in rooms overlooking pool!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I wish to apologize for the noise issue and the air conditioning problem during your stay. Wish you had asked for a room change, as we would have been happy to accommodate you, so we could provide you with a better experience. Thank you for your kind words regarding the friendliness of our staff.
Eldersburg, Md
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband, three sons, mother, father and I stayed in this hotel when my son played in a baseball tournament in Hershey, PA. Hotels closer to Hershey were booked because of a One Direction concert happening the same days as the tournament, so this Clarion was one remaining relatively nearby option. Our first impression was that the place was ok and probably a little past its prime, but we're really not that picky. If a place is clean, in good operating order and the staff friendly, then we're good to go. Unfortunately, as you'll see below, there were more cons than pros.

Pros:
-on-site fitness room with a couple of ok treadmills and other cardio equipment
-indoor pool
-friendly staff
-marginally-edible free breakfast buffet

Cons:
-room slept 4 (reservations were for 4 in our room), but we were provided with 3 towels. I requested more towels the first night and never got them. Left a note for the housekeeping staff for more towels on the second day, asked at the front desk several hours later after housekeeping came and went, and then called at 9:30 pm and was assured that the towels were on the way. I wanted to go to bed, but stayed up waiting for the towels and they never came.
-no towels at the pool. My son went swimming and came back to the room and had to use 1 of our 3 towels to dry off, leaving that towel soaking wet. So, then we were down to 2 towels for 4 people. People asked for towels for the pool and were told by the front desk staff they were on the way and they never came.
-room thermostat did not work, so the room was really warm. Even turning the temperature down to 58 degrees did not cool it off at all.
-the toilet hardly had enough flush power to flush liquid waste, much less solid (gross but true).
-our room did not have a fridge or microwave, but was supposed to.
-the ice machines did not work (important in 90+ degree heat for cooling baseball players' drinks).
-our non-smoking room smelled like someone had smoked a couple of packs in there right before we checked in.

Overall, if the basics would have been taken care of (towels, anyone?) we would have been relatively happy. But, please don't leave a card in our room that says, "If you're not satisfied with our accommodations or service, please let the front desk know without delay so we can make it right" and not deliver on it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I want to thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth review of the hotel. I appreciate all of your feedback, both pro and con. Please know that your review will be a major focus in my presentation at our next manager's meeting. I will also be stressing the importance of follow-up on guest requests at my next front desk staff meeting. Thank you for putting it in black and white to help emphasize that importance. We apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay and are sorry for not exceeding your expectations.
Attleboro, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The indoor pool at the center of the courtyard ensures family fun year round. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.

The Garlic Poet restaurant has been renovated and upgraded with a delicious menu at reasonable prices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
So happy you enjoyed the pool and got to experience some family fun while you were with us. We are also glad you experienced the delicious offerings at our restaurant, The Garlic Poet. Hope to see you again.
Chicopee, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I travel on business frequently and basically live out of hotels. On this trip, I had to travel to New Cumberland, PA for 1 week of training at the DLA base. I am very keen to staying at hotels and where I will or will not stay. Based on the room rate, I was required to stay here.
First the good:
1) CHECK IN:
-Jo at the reception desk was very friendly, accommodating, and helpful. When I asked for a different room, she quickly moved me to a better location. She did the same for one of my other coworkers.
2) RESTAURANT:
-The Garlic Poet had excellent food and a very friendly, proficient staff. Would definitely return to that pub if it were located in a different area.
3) LOCATION:
-It was within 5-7 minutes from the location of the base we had to go to.

Now the bad (note that I am also speaking for others that were part of my group):

1) SAFETY:
-It appears because of the room rate my company had, we (there were a total of 7 of us) were put at the very back of the hotel on the 1st floor. The entrance we were told to use to get to our rooms was basically blocked by hotel workers. Not exactly sure what all their jobs were, but they were sitting on the sidewalk and step to the door smoking cigarettes and speaking in a different language. They only moved out of the way when I had luggage that would have hit them in my effort to get in the door. There was one young man who offered to help me get my suitcase into the door. I felt VERY uncomfortable and unsafe because my room was right across from the hotel laundry facility and by the entrance where the workers were congregated. The doors to the laundry room were open and it became clear that the workers right outside of the entrance were taking a break from doing hotel laundry or whatever else their jobs may have been. I truly felt unsafe, which was when I went to the front desk and had my room changed to the 2nd floor by the front of the hotel. I thought about telling the front desk about the workers in the back but thought I may have just arrived at a particular time and that this wasn't the norm (as it has been my experience from my extensive travels). Getting a different room was all I could think of.
2) ROOM:
-The room was as clean as could be expected. There were cobwebs where the wall & ceiling met, accumulation of dust/mold on the air vent, and the shelf in the shower where all the clean towels were put was full of rust. Because of the overall feel of the room, I was uncomfortable and the 2 nights that I stayed there, I slept in one spot on the bed with my hoodie on so my face wouldn't touch the pillow. My firsts night there, I was sure someone was knocking on my door in the middle of the night. I stayed awake for a while trying to think of what I could use as a weapon to defend myself if someone made their way into my room. One of my other coworkers could see large dried blood stains on the mattress pad underneath the thin sheets on the bed.
3) OVERALL:
-Although Jo at the front desk was very quick to change my room, it was only after I asked her if the hotel and area are safe. She stated that it was safe, but didn't hesitate to move me to a different room. I believe she knew why I was asking that question.
-The hallway right outside the elevator on the 2nd floor was dark and unwelcoming.
-The pool was not an option because there seemed to be unsavory type of people hanging out there during the evenings (which was when we would return to the hotel after work)
-The feel of this hotel was one of low end clientele or people who need a good bargain price.

After staying there 2 nights, I couldn't take it anymore and found a different hotel to stay at. The remainder of the week I was able to sleep at night and didn't feel uncomfortable, unsafe, or dirty. Because all the hotels in the area were booked, I had to stay 35 miles away, however, it was worth the drive every morning. Two of my coworkers came to the same hotel I did. The four remaining coworkers that stayed at this hotel came in each morning with different stories about lack of sleep because of noise, or that they couldn't take a shower because the water coming out of the shower was brown (it was believed it was due to a pipe problem). For them, the close proximity of the hotel was worth everything they went through.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I would never take my family there.

Room Tip: I you have no other choice but to stay here, I recommend that you ask for a room on the 2nd floor by...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GSM_Clarion, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As the newest member of our management team, I want you to know how much I appreciate your valuable input. Please know that I will be making copies of your review and sharing with all of the department heads at our next manager's meeting, so that we can work together to improve the issues you cited in your review.
I wish to apologize for your problems with your stay, and thank you for your kind words about Jo, one of our Guest Services Representatives.

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!