“Horrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

You added Clarion Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   148 Sheraton Drive, I-83 & PA Turnpike Exit 242, New Cumberland, PA 17070   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in New Cumberland
Chesterfield, Virginia
“Horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We had filled 12-13 rooms for this weekend for a softball tournament and your hotel over booked for a wedding so we ended up having 2-3 families moved to another hotel. I came down to lobby on saturday morning to grab some coffee and asked your counter attendant for a plastic knife for fork to stir my tall cup all he did was pat his pockets and threw his hands up. I am from South Central Virginia and have never experience such bad customer service in my life. You can bet I will never recommend this PA hotel to anyone. I would think that most company these days need to strive on good customer service considering funds aren't the same for families. We travel a lot with our softball team and family but I will never consider staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ninerfan16, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
I want to thank you for your post. I also want to let you know that this has been discussed with our entire management team. We pride our self on customer service and we apologize for not lving up to yours or our standards. We hope that the next time you are in town that you give our hotel another try so we can show you how important each and every guest is.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

It looks like you're in the 70s. A very old building, with very tired looking rooms. The only nice thing is the welcome bottle of water and (4.5$) discount for bkfst. Have the yoghurt parfait!

• Stayed June 2011
Thank you for your response. You are correct this hotel was built in 1973; however in 2009 - 2010 we renovated our sleeping rooms and meeting space. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast discount and bottle of water. We are constantly renovation and updating the hotels facility and will continue to strive to provide our guests with the best product and service that we can.
Lebanon,PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I reserved two rooms 6 weeks in advance asking for adjoining rooms. I was told to call back multiple times which became an inconvenience. I tried to reserve a crib and refrigerator also in advance. The person I spoke with at the front desk, Laura, ASSURED me cribs were no additional charge...I even got an "out the door" quote on the price of the room with my requests. When I called back the day of our check-in to assure our requests would be met, I was told "Sorry, our adjoining rooms are all booked." Before I could even say anything I was forwarded with no notice to a "manager", Brittney. I was very unhappy! I booked this reservation almost two months in advance letting them know my requests(which were very simple!) Britney told me cribs were a 10 dollar a night charge as well as the fridge. She said she would have a talk with her employees about "hotel procedure". How ridiculous! Then, after repeating 5 times that they can't "gaurantee" your requests she actually starting to make me feel as if I was being an inconvenience to them! She said " It is first come first serve." To which I responded "How much sooner should I have started calling?!!"

At check-in the front desk staff was slow,unprofessional, and multiple times griped about having to answer phone calls. We did in the end get what we asked for(adjoining rooms,refrigerator) Upon looking at my guest directory in the room, I saw plainly stated "complimentary cribs"...so maybe Britney's mangaer should have a talk with her since her employee was right all along. The whole situation was just plain aggravating.

I would have said our room was nice...but we had NO air conditioning all weekend. Then at 6 AM our electric went out (just in our room) for no reason. Thank goodness we werent relying on their alarm clocks!

We needed extra pillows/blankets for the sleeper sofa since none were provided to us. 3 hours later they arrived! We would have liked to be in bed 2 hours before that! When they FINALLY arrived, they brought half of what we asked for. After calling again, the front desk was rude, again acting like we were a bother. They also told us the hotel "was out of blankets". 5 minutes later one magically appeared..nothing like being lied to...

Overall, our stay was awful. I've stayed in many hotels(many of them holiday inns) and NEVER experienced such a negative stay. I would never go back unless I absolutely had to. After all of this, there were ZERO apologies, and certainly no offering of any way to make it up to us. I'm sure I'll hear that in response to this review though...

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
I want to start off by saying how sorry I am for all of the issues that you had with this stay. This listing has been brought to the entire management teams’ attention and is being addressed. I know there is nothing that I can do to make it up to you, but I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologize for the lack of customer service that you received. If you happen to be in the area again please contact us directly and we will offer you a complimentary stay and breakfast for two to show you that the items in this post have been addressed.
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

I needed a place to hold a surprise party to celebrate my wife's college graduation. I went to the Holiday Inn because they had an indoor pool and reception area. We had about 80 guests and everyone was comfortable. The staff was friendly and supportive and the food was wonderful. Everything was set up exactly as we discussed and it looked wonderful. We also spent the night in one of the rooms. It was very comfortable and again, everything was just as I requested.

Thank you!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Ninerfan16, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad to hear that your event was a success. We look forward to the possiblity of you coming back to see us in the future.
Columbus
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

I recently returned from a two-night stay at this hotel. I had ready bad reviews in advance but usually take those with a grain of salt. Upon arrival, the Holiday Inn seemed fine. The check-in experience was pleasant. My room seemed OK, too, at first glance. Throughout the next two days, I kept noticing more and more wrong with the place. I saw cigarette burns on the lampshade, ants in the bathroom, torn bedsheets, separated ceiling tiles, and duct tape holding the hallway carpet together in places. Not to mention the uncomfortable bed and bizarre square shaped pillows, and the TV that had some sort of fan that constantly clicked on and off and sounded like a refrigerator. The gym, pool, and lobby areas were pretty nice, but the rooms and hallways are in dire need of cleaning and updating. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
I want to apologize for your stay not being up to our hotels standards. While we do try to make sure that every guest is satisfied, sometimes that is not the case and we do our best to make it up to them. Since your stay at our hotel we have recently re-launched as part of the new Holiday Inn standards. I do want to assure you that had we not made changes to our hotel, we would not have been able to re-launch. Part of the relaunch was the new carpert and wall vinyl that had started during your stay. I do hope that if you are back in the area that you would give us the opportunity to show you that your stay is not the norm.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

The hotel was eerily empty on Thanksgiving weekend(should've been my first clue). The beds are thin and sagging( we rolled toward center and all woke up with back aches), lampshades stained and burned( turned backwards to hide damage so seam on shade showed), dirty wallpaper peeling in room and hallways, dusty old tv's, sagging shower rod, found a pill/vitamin(?) on floor. Visible dark stains on bed ruffle. The hallways were dimly lit. The indoor pool was nice, although we had to call to get any towels. After checking in and dragging our stuff upstairs, our room keys did not work. I called the front desk and they sent housekeeping right up, while we stood in hallway. It took him 2 trips back down and up to fix key situation. The worst was on the morning we were packing up to leave, we found ants in the room crawling around window (which was an interior window facing indoor pool) and the table, on top of one of our bags and our shoes. We did not have any food in the room. We were completely grossed out and washed everything including our bags when we got home. We will never stay there again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Ninerfan16, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2010
I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good time at our hotel. I want to assure you that this is being disussed by our management team. I hope that the next time that you are in the area, that you give us a chance to make it up to you.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

This Holiday Inn is INCREDIBLE!
I don't know where all the crap reviews come from, but i must say this, Ive been to this hotel twice now, and i must say that it is a very good hotel...
Some people are just way too high strung, the jacuzzi's not here, according to the staff people kept doing it in the jacuzzi, so i could understand why they would take it out. Were on the first floor now but they gave us a poolside room at an awesome discount because we were here for so long the first time. Save one or two belligerent people at the front desk (bad apples lol), the staff here is great. I theres any problem they dont hesitate to rectify it. The elephant and castle restaurant is amazing, with amazing food and beverages and staff, and we recommend the Alfredo and the apple martinis! The attitudes of the restaurant staff are above and beyond what youd expect! The Housekeeping staff is amazing, they dont speak much english, but they do their jobs so incredibly perfect that you really dont mind, especially the guy we had when we were upstairs!
If you choose a holiday inn on the west shore, this is the one to pick, they dont have bugs or dirty rooms here, just amazing service and great food! The pool is always nice, clean, and the perfect temperature, the atrium is beautiful, And the tables and chairs outside my room are just the perfect touch. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the area. I dont understand how this hotel got such a bad rap and the crappy one got such a good rap when they suck.
You cant stay in any hotel for an extended period of time with no issues at all, but I didnt have one unsolvable issue here and the experience has been almost perfect. You guys are awesome. Keep up the great work!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for the wonderful review. The hotel management and staff take pride in providing excellent service to our guests. Please come see us again, the next time you are in town.

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!