“Adequate enough, but parents beware!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in New Columbia
Atlantic, Pa
“Adequate enough, but parents beware!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here this past weekend as a jumping point for Knoebel's Amusement Park.

The property was spot in with what you would expect from the brand. The rooms were clean, service was fine, everything was fresh, etc. The kids enjoyed the pool to use up some energy. The one thing that might have been a bit "out of line" was that Sunday morning, the room and hall became full of the smell of woodsmoke. I am not sure if this was a byproduct of the expansion they are undertaking or what, but it was noticable.

PARENTS: If you are traveling with toddlers/young children that have a bit of extra energy, I might reconsider this property. The room is decorated in an attractrive manner, but there are many sharp corners that could really hurt a child that was not listening (I know, they are always angels, right?) The corners of the dresser, desk, and TV stand are all as pointy as could be. Even the nightstand, which was directly between the beds, had some evil corners that we covered with pillows. The "headboard" mounted on the wall behind the beds even has sharp corners on the bottom that a young one can (and did) hit their head on. This is not a fault of the property at all, I just wanted to make any parents aware. We were a nervous mess until the kids were sleeping.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HIENewColumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lewisburg/New Columbia, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Tuaennoc:

Thank You so much for the kind words reviewing our hotel. We take pride in being a highly regarded hotel under the Holiday Inn Express brand. Also, I’m glad to hear your children enjoyed our indoor pool! I want to acknowledge your concern for parents with small children and the edges on the furniture. I will speak to our on-site engineer and brand to see if we can come up with a solution for a few rooms that can be put aside for guests with small children. Thus far we haven’t had any issues with the furniture, but sincerely understand your concern. We hope to see you back at our hotel soon.

Management Team
HIExpress New Columbia, PA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

As a young female travelling alone I felt completely safe in this hotel. Stayed here for 2 weeks in July, all the employees from the GM and front desk staff to the maintenance man were kind and helpful. Hotel was very clean and quiet, room was perfect with mini fridge and microwave. Housekeeping cleaned daily. 5 minutes drive from Walmart, Weis, restaurants and very close to where I needed to be. Pool and spa was clean, gym was good, barbecues and sun beds out the back were great. Free breakfast always a plus, wi-fi worked very well and all round just a very good well run hotel. I'm looking forward to staying here again at the end of the year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear Perthchick20:

Thank You very much for your time in reviewing our hotel. We always love hearing from our guests and love hearing that our hotel exceeded our guest standards. We will share this review with our team and share your kind comments. Your comments are exactly what we like to hear from our guests and we will continue to strive to achieve the satisfaction you had during your stay. We hope to see you back soon!

Management Team
HIExpress New Columbia, PA
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

This was our second Holiday Inn on our way back to Canada. We were given a room on the 3rd floor (top). When we went in the extractor fan in the bathroom was very noisy and was on all the time. This HI had been recently renovated. Don't think this was part of the renovations! So we went and asked for another room which we got on the 3rd floor. Desk clerk said maintenance would look at it in the morning! This would not have helped us much as we were only spending one night. Fan was much quieter but there was no fridge which the other unit had. It had been removed or not replaced. We were not going to move a third time!
Tried to connect to the Wi-Fi no success with either the cell or laptop.. So back to front dest and was told WE had to phone the internet provider to solve the problem. Called the provider and was asked which password. It turns out we were given, along with all the other lodgers, the wrong password.
Room was fine; nicely updated bathroom; beds comfortable and room was clean. Different to the previous HI we stayed the night before in PA the heating oscillated on and off all night. We did not hear the heating in the other HI

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
HIENewColumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lewisburg/New Columbia, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear RBoet, thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel. Yes, we did recently finish renovations in our hotel and the fan exhaust system in the rooms comes from an automatic drawl from the roof which we are looking into to see if there is anything we can do to help with the constant running sound.
I would like to apologize for the internet mix up. We recently started a program where our passwords would switch automatically on the 1st of the month, we were not aware that this wouldn't happen if it landed on a weekend date. Also, I must apologize for the lack of effort made from the front desk clerk that evening in not assisting you with your internet connection problem. I again, would like to thank you for commenting on your stay at our hotel and thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Express brand.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We picked this hotel because it was just off I-80 and they would allow us to bring in our dog--you would NEVER have known there was a single dog that ever stayed on this property. It was clean, it was quiet and it looked pretty darn new--I mean, what else are you looking for just off of a highway besides very clean and very quiet? We will be back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
HIENewColumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lewisburg/New Columbia, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear Laurie083,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We appreciate your kind words about your recent stay. Here at the Holiday Inn Express we take great pride in being sure our rooms are in excellent condition for our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Had to stop for the nite - check in was fast, room was big, internet access easy, Tv wasn't HD or not set up properly but who cares when you are just stopping to sleep. Pool and Hot Tub ! Went for a nice swim and slept great. Good breakfast offerings. Tea water was hot, but the non -refrigerated half/half just kept breaking apart. Not a lipton fan, so I usually travel with my own tea - a mug and grab some milk. (all of which I forgot - this trip) I was offered milk. Nothing worse than coffee or tea in styrofoam cups. I agree with the reviewer on the cinnamon rolls - very good. I think we were upgraded when I asked for a King, got a great room for the price. The staff was exceptionally helpful. Bathroom is a bit small.

Room Tip: 1st floor, close walk to the pool !
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
HIENewColumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lewisburg/New Columbia, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear Trip808BuffaloNY,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We strive to make each and every guests stay welcoming and comfortable. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the swimming pool, the ease of using the internet and the hot breakfast in the morning. I would like to thank you for visiting the Holiday Inn Express Lewisburg/New Columbia. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Every Christmas I leave the warm climes of California for my journey back to Central PA. I have family in Lewisburg and Shamokin and I go back and forth between both towns to visit with them. It would be easier if I stayed at other properties mid-point between the towns, but I would never consider doing so. Why? The reason is the staff at this hotel, including the management team - led by Megan Jarrett.

I'm a IHG platinum member for over 10 years...I spend a lot of time in hotels. What I've found over time is a hotel designation of 2 or 5 stars is not necessarily a good definition of its quality. The team of folks working there - is what makes or breaks a hotel. This property has great personnel that make you feel at home. The property is clean, the people are friendly and the entire staff is very accomodating.

New Columbia is a little out of the way, but it's worth driving the extra miles to stay in a hotel that consistently exceeds your expectations.

I'll be spending Christmas here in 2011 as I've done in 2009-2010, and I'm looking forward to it as I have in the past.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
HIENewColumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lewisburg/New Columbia, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Dear Mr. Deibler,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We take pride in making sure every stay is an exceptional one. We would like to thank you for your kind words in regards to our staff, as they strive to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible. I hope you had an enjoyable stay in our newly renovated rooms and an even more exceptional Christmas with your family here in Central Pa.
Flemington, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

So far my stay is fine. I am here on a Sunday night and the hotel appears to be 1/2 empty. I had to ask for an upgrade as a Platium member, when normally that is automatically done. So, my upgrade is a king bed for me and my daughter. Really???

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
HIENewColumbia, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lewisburg/New Columbia, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear Kas S:
Thanks for your time in reviewing our hotel. I would like to apologize for the dissatisfaction you had during your check-in; as a Platinum Member, which is one of the highest levels of Priority Club Rewards, your opinion is very valuable. At our hotel, our standard room type is a "Two Queen Non Smoking," and the standard complimentary upgrade for that is the "King Non Smoking." During a stay for a typical Platinum Member, we try to assign upgrades first thing before any check-ins arrive. Your stay was a little different due to the nature of how your reservation was booked (redemption of your points). At our hotel we try to upgrade all Platinum Members regardless of how the reservation was made, but by booking using points we are unable to alter your reservation until you arrive at the hotel, which is the reason why you weren't given an upgrade "automatically."

Again, I apologize for the mix up during your check-in and hope you found the quality of our hotel to exceed your needs. At this point I would like to refund some of your points used for booking the room. If you can contact me at your convenience: (570) 568-1100, I would love to discuss this further.

Megan Jarrett
GM,HIE Lewisburg/New Columbia

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lewisburg/New Columbia? Share your experiences!