“MainStay still a good bang for your buck” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mountville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rhode Island
“MainStay still a good bang for your buck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had stayed at this hotel 7 years ago so after reading some reviews here, we decided to try it again for a week. We were overall very pleased with our stay. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was laid out nicely with the living room area and kitchen in the middle and the bedrooms on opposite sides. Plenty of room for privacy or togetherness. The rooms and hallways are updated with new carpeting and the room was very clean. The rooms have a full-size refrigerator and small kitchen. Because the hotel is located off of Route 30, there is some highway noise, but this did not bother us. The pool is outdoor and very nice. I think it closed at 9:00 and we would have preferred 10:00 or 11:00. Also, it would have been nice to have a few lounge chairs around the pool and some toys/balls. They have a grill and patio area for cooking/eating, which is great.
As others have mentioned, the breakfast items are limited (waffles, cereal, oatmeal, bagels, juice and coffee). They have a computer in the lobby and the rooms have Wi-fi, although it was spotty at times. If you like to walk, the grounds are spacious as they extend to a Mini Golf place, icecream shop and The Sleep Inn. There is also a great neighborhood for walking behind the hotel. The best part for us was the proximity to area attractions (25 minutes from Amish area, 45 minutes from Hershey, 75 minutes from Gettysburg, 10 minutes from Park City Mall, etc.)
You can request light housekeeping every other day. Since our hotel phone wasn't working, we went to the desk to do this. Unfortunately it wasn't done, and we had to request again. The front desk staff was not very friendly or helpful, but with easy internet access, you can find information on your own. It appeared that the staff spends more time with their longer stay customers (those renting for months or even a year). The hotel is also pet-friendly, so you will see people walking their dogs and cats sitting in windows.
The pluses: value for your money, room size, location, grounds, pool
The minuses: friendliness of front desk staff, breakfast variety

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
lindagallucci1, Director of Sales at MainStay Suites of Lancaster County, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. I am happy to hear that you found our location to be so convienient for your travels. We will address your concerns with our staff. We appreciate you taking time to alert us to these issues.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
East Moriches
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We reserved a one bedroom suite which is really a studio-basically a regular hotel room with the kitchen appliances.
Phone didnt work.
Needed to search for enough towels for the four ppl in our room. Wound up going to the pool and getting towels.
Bathroom is a drippy mess with mold forming and wet wallboard. There's no active fan in the bathroom. So the condensation literally drips off the ceiling during showers.
These rooms are not newly renovated

• Stayed July 2013
I am sorry we failed to meet your expectaions. Towels are usually availabe in our guest supply closet or by notifing the front desk personell. Please except our sincere aplogies.
Duryea, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We recently visited this hotel, but unfortunately we could not stay. Six months ago I booked 2 rooms at this hotel through Priceline. I usually indicate that we have several adults staying with us and we need nonsmoking. My son was hospitalized in early January, I made the hotel reservation immediately after and I think I may have forgotten to touch base with the hotel.

The rooms: 1 was entirely two small for several adults and was a smoking room. My daughter has asthma and could not stay in the room. We tried talking to the person at the front desk, but the entire hotel was booked, there was not another room available. They even tried to call the Sleep Inn which is next door, and they too were completely booked.

Now, I don't fault MainStay for being completely booked and not having a different room available. However, I *do* fault them for having the attitude that since I booked through Priceline, I should be happy to get whatever they give me. I booked and paid for this hotel 6 months ago. My money was just as good as anyone else, and I didn't appreciate being treated like a second rate guest because I used Priceline. The laissez-faire attitude of the woman behind the counter gave the whole experience a sour taste.

What we saw of the rooms were acceptable. The only negative thing was that the other room, that was nonsmoking, definitely smelled like someone was cooking in there and I felt it should have been aired better.

I unfortunately cannot give any other insight to the rooms or accommodations because we weren't there long enough.

Mainstay, if you don't like your Priceline customers, DON'T USE THE SERVICE!!

Room Tip: If you use Priceline to book a room, be sure to call after booking and let them know of your needs...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry to hear of your unpleasant experieince. Unfortunately priceline rooms come though to the hotel as any "run of the house room" with smoking choices a preference but not a neccesity. Under normal circumstances we could have moved you to a non smoking room but in a full house situation we had no recourse. Our sincere aopologies!
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at Mainstay Suites for three nights in May. The hotel was the perfect place for those wanting the ability to make meals, snacks or even coffee in their room. The breakfast was adequate in the newly appointed breakfast room. Staff were very friendly and location for entertainment and restaurants in Lancaster was excellent!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
lindagallucci1, Director of Sales at MainStay Suites of Lancaster County, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to comment on our property. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the full kitchen in your room. It is really nice & economical to have the ability to make a few meals on your own. Our staff is always striving to make each stay a pleasant one.
Mountville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Don’t blink! You might drive right past this little gem of a hotel.

If you are looking for value, you won’t find a better place in the entire Lancaster area. When I first came to town, I stayed at the competition (Homewood Suites) the first three days, and while that hotel was very nice, it came with a very nice price as well. In fact, Homewood was slightly more than double the price! Homewood is also located in a commercial business district, and has a lot of traffic congestion. After a couple of nights there, my co-worker told me about this place, so I checked it out.

Well, I have been staying here for the past 3.5 months now due to work, and my stay could not have been any better. First, this hotel is located on the far west side of the Lancaster metropolitan area, along US 30. If you are doing business in the area, you have quick and easy access on to US30, which is the main East-West drag through the Lancaster Area. There is a grocery store and strip mall less than two miles away.

One of the best things about staying here is that you can avoid the hassle of Lancaster traffic, which at times is absolutely horrible. I’d recommend going west to York for most of your shopping, unless you are coming to Lancaster to shop at the outlet malls, and go do all the touristy things, which are on the east side of town, but you will find yourself sitting in traffic quite a bit. If you are coming to the area for business, I’d highly recommend you stay here. In fact, there are a lot of other business folks & contractors who stay here. You can get to most of the business related areas in Lancaster and the surrounding area without having to fight the traffic on the touristy east side.

The hotel is situated on a very nice, somewhat tranquil wooded lot, in front of several lovely subdivisions. There is a nice putt-putt golf course between this hotel, and the Sleep Inn on the adjacent lot. There is a nice sand-which and ice-cream shop also located at the putt-putt course. The ground are nicely manicured and well taken care of. It is not uncommon to see the owner here checking on things. I took advantage of the nice neighborhoods for my daily walks. It is kind of hilly back there, and you will get a work out, trust me. I would often end up getting in to nice conversations with several of the homeowners in the community’s behind the hotel.

Anyway, back to the hotel. The owner and employees have a tremendous pride of ownership here, and it is well evident. You never see any employees slouching, or taking it easy. They are always cleaning here, even the hotel manager. Since I have been here, the owner has constantly been improving the property. They have all new carpet, furniture, and are currently upgrading the rooms. The owner George, his manager Leigh, and the entire staff always go out of their way to ask you if there is anything they can do for you to make your stay more pleasant. They foster a friendly atmosphere here. They make you quickly feel like a friend, as opposed to being “just a customer”.

If you are in to swimming, there is a nice pool out in the courtyard, with a terrific stone patio, tables, chairs, umbrellas, and shade from trees. I wish my back yard was this nice! The hotel even provides a gas bar-b-que grill, which many of the guests take advantage of. The breakfast area is clean, and a descent size. It is a pretty simple continental breakfast, Oatmeal (Quaker) cereal, hard boiled eggs, waffle maker, donuts, muffins, bagels, coffee, orange & apple juice, milk, tea. Most of the rooms, if not all, have kitchenettes, so, if you like to make your own bacon and sausage in your room, you can, which I did. They always have a nice fruit basket out, usually stocked with navel oranges, apples, bananas. Most nights they have hot, fresh cookies, which is always nice. They always have fresh hot coffee, and if they run out, they will make more for you.
The kitchenettes come stocked with toaster, coffee maker, a skillet pan, a 2-quart pan, colander, cooking utensils, as well as place settings for two people. You have a two burner stove top, dishwasher, and full size refrigerator-freezer.

I found my mattress to be one of the more comfortable mattresses I have slept on at a hotel. It’s not a pillow top, but for me, it is firm, which is what I like. All the beds are queen size, and they give you six comfortable pillows in the room. The other thing you will notice is that it is very quiet here. The walls between rooms are cinder block, so, you never hear your neighbor’s television, or traffic noise outside. You also have a nice work bench, comfortable chairs to work out of, two color televisions, and a pull out couch.

So, if you are coming to Lancaster, consider this gem. But don’t blink, you might drive right by it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the complimentary review. I am happy to hear you were able to enjoy some of our many ammenities and found our location to be just what you needed. The staff strives to make every stay a pleasant one. We truly appreciate guests like yourself taking time to review the property.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for two days,(would have been longer but health problems prevented) and could not have been more pleased. Ms Lee the Mgr could not have been nicer. If you need anything and it is in her power she will get it for you. Her positve attitude permeates the entire staff, The rooms very clean, well appointed, and spacious for the price. The only negatives is that there is very little artifical light in the sitting/sleeping area and the breakfast is very wonderful but wish they had more hot items including proteins. Would highly recommend! PS
the 'check-in' desk really is a desk!

Room Tip: No room service or spa
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
lindagallucci1, Director of Sales at MainStay Suites of Lancaster County, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for your complimentary comments on our property. It is always great to here of our guests' positive experiences. We look forward to your return visit.
Clermont, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We recently spent a week staying at the Mainstay Suites in Mountville, PA. I chose this hotel for the price and the fact that for a long stay it is nice to have a kitchen for some meals. The room was clean and nice. I would think that a chain that caters to long stays would provide more comfortable chairs/couches and beds. The couch was hard as a rock and very uncomfortable to sit on for a long period of time. The bed was definitely old as it had a dip in the middle so throughout the night we would wind up falling into the dip.
The breakfast provided was not worth going downstairs for. They provided a waffel maker, bread for toast, cerel, hard doughnuts and muffins. Luckily we headed out early each day so we found breakfast out around town.
The staff was pleasant enough but did not go out of their way to make us feel welcomed.
The outdoor pool was still closed for the season, we were told we could use the indoor pool and gym at the Sleep Inn across the parking lot. We did not try out those options.
Overall it was a decent place to stay for under $100 a night but next time I will pay a bit more for a nicer upgrade.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our property. I am sorry to hear that you did not like our Serta mattresses as the were just replace in the fall of 2012 .Sofa sleepers usually are firmer due to the bed underneath them. We appreciate your comments.

Been to MainStay Suites of Lancaster County? Share your experiences!