“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mount Pocono
Trenton, NJ
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

My partner and I stayed there on a Friday night. The check-in was quick and easy, the room was very nice, and all of the people we encountered were nice. The room and food was comped which was nice, and I won $400 on slots. My only expense was tips. I stay here every time I travel north. I have no complaints.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

I just made a reservation to stay at the hotel/casino in a couple of weeks and I am already wondering if I should cancel it, especially after the experience I just had and then reading some of these other reviews. The person who just took my reservation over the phone was really unfriendly. And I asked for one room with two beds (because I'm traveling with a friend and don't want to share a bed with her) and she told me they can't guarantee room preference. Since when is the number of beds a room "preference"? We will be so disappointed if we drive all the way up there and they make two adult women share a bed. I like my friend but that will be so uncomfortable! And the reservation-taker just couldn't care less about my concern. She was like a robot; She just kept repeating herself and rattling off a list of "we don't do this" and "we can't do that". I have some time to cancel. I have some thinking to do.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
here
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

This past Saturday night, my close friends and I planned to eat at Red, the steakhouse located in the casino. We made a reservation for 4, and changed it a day earlier for 6. The afternoon of our night out, we called to confirm the reservation for 6. When we arrived, they had NO record of our reservation. We waited 20 minutes until we were asked to be seated -only to be led to the neighboring restaurant, the pasta place!

We were seated in the middle of the dining room, and given our menus. Then we waited. And waited. And waited. By the time we ordered drinks and received them, another half an hour had passed by. Mind you - we had to ASK for a drink menu, and weren't even offered a wine list.

Notably, Mr. DeNaples (the owner) and his family were there also, in a back, private dining room, sequestered off by a curtain. Apparently they had a birthday celebration too.

We received our appetizers, and then again - waited, and waited for our dinners. When they did arrive - the food was cold. Apparently, all the waitstaff were required to attend to Mr. DeNaples and his family.... Our empty dinner plates were cleared by a bus person. And then we waited, and waited, and waited. We were not offered a second round of drinks, wine, dessert OR coffee.

This was birthday celebration dinner, and our waiter, Andre was well aware of this. Maurice, his waiter/partner that evening was NEVER seen. We could have spend double what we did, but unfortunately, Mr. DeNaples demands the time and attention of EVERYONE in the restaurant while he is in the building.

The lack of attention was so bad, that I actually had to get up out of my chair and try to find someone to give us the check! I explained the situation to the manager on duty, Michael. He offered me a piece of cake. Mr. DeNaples can keep his cake. He has a nice little chunk of cash from our dinners - mind you, an average dinner plate is about $45! The offering of a piece of cake is not only preposterous, but insulting!

Lastly, when we settled the check, we specified how much was to be charged on a credit card, and how much cash we wanted returned to us. The manager returned all of the cash. Apparently, he wasn't even going to pass our tip on to the server! Despite the lack of service - we always tip!

It's a shame that Mr. DeNaples needs to monopolize his entire wait staff at his own restaurant. Mmmm.... silly me - who was I to think that perhaps this was a BUSINESS, and that the customer ought to receive some service!

I would NEVER go to Red again -nor to any of Mr. DeNaples other restaurants. For a special occasion I highly recommend the Stone Bar, or even Soshi down the road. For the amount of money that you would spend, I can only hope that someone would receive proper service, AND hot food.

Tsk, tsk, tsk Mr. DeNaples!! You should be ashamed of yourself! Especially after just receiving your precious casino back! Btw, happy birthday to your daughter. The cake looked lovely. We were never offered any!!! And we were willing to pay for it!

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

We were very pleased with the King room at Mt Airy. It was wonderful; very comfortable bed. The casino on the other hand was very smoky. There was not a smoke free area. I am still recovering from a sinus infection. It's very hard being a non-smoker when there is so much smoke; unhealthy too. We've been to Vegas and didn't face those problems. They had better ventilation systems.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Don't bother trying to speak with a players club manager if you have an issue at the casino. I tried calling the casino to express my comments regarding rude treatment from casino staff and had great difficulty speaking with anyone! After many tries at calling and emailing, with no response whatsoever, I finally spoke with the general manager of the hotel. He assured me that someone would respond to my comments and concerns but it never happened. I am a frequent player at the casino and although I am not a high roller, it's people like me that keep the place going. I don't expect special treatment but would like the consideration of someone listening to and responding to my concerns. I will not return to Mt. Airy Casino. There are too many other casinos in the area that would gladly welcome my money!

• Stayed July 2009
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

My boyfriend and I spent a 4 day weekend for my birthday. We were looking forward to getting away and relaxing. The Resort is located in a very peaceful, quiet area. The room was very impressive, well layed out, very clean and the bathroom was spacious and modern. The view from our hotel room was great. The hotel staff was not very helpful, rude and unattentive!! Although when we ordered room service, it arrived on time and was very good. The casino was fine, we're not big gamblers so nothing really to critique on that. We had a couples massage. That was very invigorating and the massage therapists were very friendly and the Spa itself is "top notch"! We had dinner at Red, one of the 4 restaurants. Service was excellent, food was excellent and the price was fair. Our biggest criticism is that the Resort does not have a swimming pool!? They should install one ASAP! Overall we enjoyed our stay, even though the staff were not at all friendly towards us.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

My husband and I stay frequently. The rooms are small,but exceptionally well appointed. Beds are fabulous to fall
into at 3 am. When walking down the hall, I always feel thankful that I can stay in such a beautiful plac.e. The entire casino is emaculate, the bathroooms look like the first day of business. I hate the e games and long for tables, but this is an excelllent escape, only beaten by the best in Vegas. Going back tomorrow, whooppee.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Mount Airy Casino Resort? Share your experiences!