“So good, don't want people to know!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Phone number is (412) 563-5687
Bradfordwoods, PA
“So good, don't want people to know!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Four of us dined at Kous Kous in Mt. Lebanon on a whim last night. The place is so tiny, and so good, that I'm afraid if people hear about it we'll never get a table again! When I say tiny, I mean there are about 6 very small tables close together. The kitchen, which is separated from the dining area only by tall plexiglass or something, is equally tiny, and one guy toils back there to create some of the best food I have had in Pittsburgh. Not just the best Morroccan food, I mean the best food! We tried the scallops served on a bed of ginger rice along with roasted vegetables that was fantastic. Also tried the cauliflower tajine. I don't know what that creamy sauce was but it was delicious and not too heavy. The table shared a platter of appetizers that included roasted vegetable hummus and some greens. It was divine. Plenty for a small meal or a lunch. The place is BYOB so it is very affordable. What can I say, I loved this place. Just wish it was in the North Hills instead of the South Hills!!

• Visited March 2013

Pittsburgh
“Great food, cool decor, chef with a mission=Perfect dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

My wife and daughter both choose this restaurant for their birthdays. It's because it's the total dining experience, adding up to an enjoyable evening. The owner and chef Abdel is a great guy with a passion for food and for sharing the culture of Morocco with you. (His day job is teaching high school). You can find out all the details about the restaurant at the website. I can just confirm that it's all tasty food, exotic and familiar at the same time. The decor lets you know where you are eating, with beautiful tile work and artwork (created by his brother I think), and moroccan fixtures, that help to transport you while you dine. Everything I've had there is great, from the eggplant appetizer, goat cheese cigar (in a kind of phyllo wrapping), grass fed beef, beet salad, lamb shank, scallops...all with wonderful sauces, spices and vegetable sides. Bastilla--bread baked by his mother--really tasty and can't get enough of it. Tajine dishes are great too. Creme brulee and chocolate mousse and his mom's cookies--all wonderful. The room is small so a reservation is advised. When he gets a break, Abdel comes out to greet the customers.
One of my favorite places in Pittsburgh or anywhere--food, culture, and friendly people. What else to ask for?
(Kous Kous is only open for dinner, but it might be open for lunch in the summer--check the website. REally hope he does!)

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Harrisburg, PA
“Outstanding Morrocan food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

When visiting Pittsburgh a few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of dining at the Kous Kous Cafe in the south hills. This little place is a real treat. Everything about the meal was a delight. We shared several appetizers including a yummy beet salad with walnuts and gorgonzola and a cold platter including a fine hummus, Tak-tooka, and Zaalooouk. Each was better than the last and came with homemade pita. The bread was yummy as well. All of our main courses were good, particulary the salmon tagine. Not a false step, as we told the owner/chef when he came out to visit us. And it's BYO. Only wish we lived closer...

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pittsburgh, Pa
“worth trying, we will return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

went with wife and another couple. Passed all dishes around, Everything ordered was very good. BYOB, corkage fee.

• Visited August 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Small restaurant, big flavor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Small place to eat in Mt. Lebanon. Right on the main drag. Moroccan style dinners, reasonably priced and delicious. I had the grouper. Well cooked, flaky and very tasty. My wife had the chicken and it was the best meal at the table. Get the chicken, folks. We ordered the Moroccan cookies for dessert. Eh. Kinda dry and strange tasting. I recommend avoiding them. Good place for dinner overall. May need to get a reservation because of the size.

• Visited June 2011