“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Green Acres Farm Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Joy
Green Acres Farm Bed and Breakfast
You added Green Acres Farm Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
1382 Pinkerton Rd, Mount Joy, PA   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Mount Joy B&B and Inns
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I planned this trip with several objectives in mind: 1) Stay on a farm and have the kids take part in "farm activities/chores"; 2) Learn more about the Amish; and 3) Go to Dutch Wonderland. I chose Green Acres because they appeared to have a lot of farm animals and activities for the kids.

First, the animals and farm: They have a donkey, a goat, several sheep and chickens. The animals stayed in their enclosure the entire time. (The goat will, often times, climb a platform and slide down a slide--cute!) The kids collected eggs in the morning, and then Mr. Miller fed the animals. That's about it for the farm chores. Mr. Miller also took everyone for a hay ride which gave us a pretty view of the countryside. There were kittens running around the farm, which my daughters loved. (Several, however, were very ill...one even ended up dying.)

Second, the kids' activities: There were a lot of kids' activities, including two playhouses, swing sets, a tricycle, a trampoline (which was a little sketchy) and several wooden toys inside. If nothing else, the kids had a blast!

Next, the B&B: The inside of the B&B was decorated in a country motif (it kind of reminded me of my grandmother's house). My husband and I thought it had a certain charm to it. The rooms were adequate. We had a queen bed, and the girls had a bunk bed to sleep in. They thought that was pretty cool! Make sure to ask for railings on the bunk bed, because they were not built with any, and it didn't appear that they had enough for every bunk bed in the B&B. (Also sketchy.) The Millers were great cooks. The breakfast feast was plentiful and very yummy! Although the Millers were hospitable most times, they seemed to be inconvenienced by their guests at other times.

Bottom line: Although we enjoyed our trip--especially the girls--we probably wouldn't go back because: 1) There weren't enough farm activities; 2) There were some dangerous aspects of the farm and B&B; 3) It was a little too far-removed from the activities that we wanted to take part in (Dutch Wonderland, visiting Bird-in-Hand/Lancaster/etc.). I would definitely not recommend staying here if you do not have kids.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012 via mobile

We had no heat in our room when there were freeze warnings outside. We were so cold and unable to sleep. When I called to make a reservation I was told we could watch tv in the main house, but we were only allowed in for breakfast the next day. All the food was served in broken/cracked dishes. When we arrived there were stickies on the screen door of the main house directing us to our room. We had to climb a steep set of wooden rickety steps and I am sure they are not built to code anymore. I was worried about my childrens safety getting to the room. When we opened the door to the room it was old and dusty. My children would not sleep in the bunk bed because they were afraid the top mattresswas going to fall down and hurt them. The rug in the room was stained and so dirty. The play yard had a chair swing that was all rusted and ready to break. The play houses were filled with dirt, dust and I believe cat urine. The cats at the farm seemed sick. Two kittens were trying to regurgitate in front of us. I have never experienced anything like this at a farm bed and breakfast in the Amish Country.

• Stayed April 2012
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stay in aug 2010 and liked it so much we are going again this month (sept 2011). Our kids loved the cats and had loads to play with outside. The breakfast was enormous and very good. We usual camp in a tent so found this to be luxury in comparison. Great value for a family stay. Anyone who rates it poory myst be spoilt staying in 5 star accommodation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Pitman, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

My daughter and I had to exchange students with us for the month of July. We wanted to show them how warm and friendly the USA could be. We thought a Bed and Breakfast and tour of Lancaster would do just that, and it did! We could not have picked nicer hosts! The Millers are wonderful, very charming and have great ideas for a tour. They gave us ideas of fun and interesting things to do. Then... Breakfast... so delicious! After breakfast, out to visit the animals and to watch the goat do tricks for pancakes. It was a wonderful trip!

Brevard, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

After reading all the reviews I was hesitant about staying here! I am so glad I got to experience staying here! The Millers were excellent host! It is definitly the place to stay if you have children! It was well worth the $110.00 we paid a night.

DONT BELEIVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!

Easley, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

The owners were so helpful. We were interested in the Amish and the owners arranged for us to eat dinner with an Amish family. We had the biggest farm breadfast's each day. They even fixed us dessert for breakfast. It was a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

There are some very unfair reviews of this property on this site - Some people have unrealistic expectations of how luxurious a working farmhouse in rural Pennsylvania should be. First of all, you're paying $110 per night for a family of four - and that includes a hearty, delicious breakfast plus all the entertainment that a farm provides - feeding the donkey, the goats, the sheep - collecting eggs - catching fireflies with new friends - taking a hay ride. Sure the decor is a little dated and the shower isn't the most powerful but it is clean and the setting and food and company more than make up for those luxuries that I didn't mind foregoing for this thoroughly enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Green Acres Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!