“Stay somewhere else!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Moon Township
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Stay somewhere else!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

Stayed here before an early flight. Only 1 desk clerk working so it took a long time to check-in. I think she was the only 1 working this night. Got to the room and it smelled like an ashtray. Called front desk and was told that non-smoking rooms had to be reserved!! Then looked around the room-every surface was coated with nicotine to the point of being sticky. The tub looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks and last but certainly not least there was a half-pot of old coffee (with new package stuffed into the basket) in the coffee maker!! Called desk again-clerk came up, looked at it and left saying that she was quitting because she had no help. Save your money!!!

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Manchester, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

During our recent visit to the burgh, my husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights too long, I am sorry to say. It is what it is! During that time, housekeeping didn't clean our rooms for our entire stay. After our 1st day on the town and returning to the hotel late, we found our room hadn't been cleaned. I called the front desk to find why this was the case and was told that she did not know why. OK, honest mistake - i am OK with that. She also went on to say that "housekeeping had left for the day" and no one was available to clean our room that night. The best that she could offer was to personally bring up some clean towels, however this would happen in between check-in's. I could have went down to pick up the towels myself but I thought to myself, this is not my problem to fix! Our vacation continued - all the while hoping that things would get better. No such luck.

Fast-forward...to-date we still don't know what their excuse was for not cleaning our room on day 2 and day 3, (that's right, you read it right - total of 3 days!) but enough was enough. No more "honest mistake" or "benefit of the doubt". Mind you we called again to address this on both the 2nd and 3rd day. I think they forgot who the customer was and what customer satisfaction was all about! I asked the front desk, "What does it take to have one's room cleaned, bedding changed, and beds made in this hotel"? Front desk response was the same as before, "I don't know the answer to this however for you inconvenience we will take 10% off of your total bill. Maybe this was a win for us?.... but with this minimal discount at an affordable hotel told us how they valued their service and customer's experience. We would have rather had our rooms "CLEANED" and "BEDS MADE" instead of the meager discount.

Another point I would like to add is that this hotel accepts pets (didn't see any while there) however it is quite obvious they were. The hotel hallways had a di-STINK smell (odor) to them and the stained carpets proved evidence of it. Nothing against pets but we will never again stay at a hotel where pets are allowed.

Just when you think things could not get any worse...the parking lot on the weekend was full to the point that we had to park in the adjoining businesses parking lot. It's a good thing Bob Evan's and Eat'n Park were next door for our parking needs and also to enjoy a good breakfast. The breakfast area and selection at the hotel was small along with a limited selection to choose from. Listen to this...instead of individual packets of butter (all places have these - don't they?) for your toast, this hotel had a community tub of margarine for "everyone" to dig in and use---"GROSS".

So, if you are looking to enjoy yourself without raising your blood pressure, consider our personal experiences before booking a stay here. This hotel needs an "extreme makeover", top to bottom.

Lessons learned... "You Do Get What You Pay For".

We do "not" recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Derry, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

The Good
The room was clean, the A/C was cold and quiet, and the front desk staff was very friendly.

The Bad
The outlet under the desk didn't work so we had to get an extension cord to use our computers at the desk, the toilet need to be flushed like 4 times every time you used it to get the toilet paper to go down, we stayed two days and no one came after the first night to service the room.....we had to go ask for more towels, the trash wasn't taken out, and the beds weren't made, the curtains are see through and do not block out the light, and the breakfast was decent, but there was no one around to refill things, so the first morning there was no juice, the second morning there was only sugar free syrup for the waffles.

I wouldn't stay here again. Luckily, I booked through hotwire and they gave me a partial refund for my trouble.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I booked this hotel online; the room I selected clearly stated a "non-smoking" room. Upon arrival however, I was told that they knew nothing of a non-smoking preference and that there were only smoking rooms available. It was getting late and I was exhausted, so I reluctantly took the room (341). I also had to park next door at a restaurant because their parking lot was full.
The overwhelming tobacco smell in the room made me feel nauseated. I walked to the ac unit and found the carpet soaked with water in front of it. I opened the window and left it open all night in an effort to breathe. The room had obviously not been thoroughly cleaned in a while. Around the baseboards there was accumulated debris; anywhere there was a small space, like between furniture and a wall where the vacuum could not quickly be run, whatever had fallen there was left. There was a package of tylenol left from a previous guest, laying where it could quite plainly be seen, but housekeeping did not bother to pick it up.
The tub in the bathroom was quite dirty looking, either needing a good scouring or replaced altogether. The celing fan cover was rusty.
I arose early and vacated the room asap. I slept a couple of hours in my car in the parking lot. I recommend paying more and staying at a better quality hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
orlando
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

This is an old, old hotel that needs some major updating. Yes, it's reasonably priced, but we won't stay here again. The tub was so old, that the finish was worn off, and I wore flip-flops to take a shower.
I had heard good things about La Quinta, but this one needs to update the facility to compete.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Tried this hotel for a one-night stay prior to an early morning flight. In a word "terrible". The second floor room was dirty - mold in the bathroom - ceiling paint peeling - but the worst part was the smell. First and last time at a La Quinta. The old saying is right - you do get what you pay for. It's back to the Hyatt for us. FJG

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

We stayed at the La Quinta Inn on University Avenue in Pittsburgh near the airport for three days over the Thanksgiving holiday to be near family. Let me just say that they offer low rates because they do not provide housekeeping.
The front desk staff was freidnly and the complimentary breakfast is very nice, but our room was the dirtiest hotel room I have ever stayed in. When we checked in on Wednesday night, exhausted after a ten hour drive, the hand towels had makeup and lipstick on them and were clearly just refolded and left on the towel bar. The bed linens looked suspiciously like they had not been changed since the last guests, and the carpet was filthy, with all kinds of stuff that stuck to your bare feet if you took your shoes off. We were so tired we stayed.
On Thursday, Thanksgiving, we stripped the beds and asked that the linens be changed. We stripped the beds because we didn't trust the hotel staff to pretend to change the linens and not do it. We also bundled all of the dirty towels onto the floor under the sink and made sure they were too damp to be rehung. The carpet was not vacuumed. In fact, we were in the room most of the morning while the housekeeping cart was in the hallway and we never saw or heard a vacuum cleaner as the rooms around us were (supposedly) cleaned. Friday morning we went out for the day and when we came back that evening there was a plastic bag hanging on the door handle with three towels in it and our room had never been cleaned. We called down to the front desk and they said that sometimes that happens and if we wanted, they could request some clean towels for us that we could come down to the desk to pick up. Absolutely unbelievable.
If you want to live in a pigsty to save money, this is your hotel. Otherwise, steer clear of this place. You might need to get a tenus shot when you return home.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn Pittsburgh Airport? Share your experiences!