“bed bugs” 3 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Monroeville
“bed bugs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have been staying at this hotel on a weekly basis since July of this year. The staff is awesome and very friendly and hotel was great and convenient until my last stay in November 2012. I was checking out early in the morning to catch a flight back home only to find a bed bug relaxing on the sheets. I searched for more and couldnt find any, but this has definitely put a bad taste in my mouth and I am not sure that I can come back again. while discussing with one of my trainees traveling with me, she also indicated that she noticed dirty bbathroom with urine stains on the floor, etc. Just wasnt a welcoming thought to imagine

Room Tip: inspect your rooms and bring sanitizers
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HeatherRitter, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Monroeville, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to convey your recent problems while staying at the Courtyard Pittsburgh Monroeville. While finding a bug in your bed is a very unpleasant thing to find, I can assure you that it is not a real bed bug. From your picture it looks like the infamous "stink" bugs that Pennsylvania has been harrased by for the last few years. After your check out we had our pest control company in to check the room since I did not see the picture that you showed to my Front Desk Agent. They deemed the room clean of any bugs. I can understand your concern and I thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have also spoken to the executive housekeeper to ensure that the issues your friend has mentioned are taken care of. We enjoyed your weekly visits and hope when you come back to Monroeville you choose to stay with us here at the Courtyard!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We visited Pittsburgh for the weekend. We didn't want to drive into the city on a Friday evening (especially with the tunnel closed), so we chose Monroeville. Worked out great. Chose this hotel because of tripadvisor reviews plus availability. Absolutely no regrets. Location worked fine, the place was clean and nice, and all of the staff was superb and genuinely friendly. I didn't have any issues with noise (of which another reviewer complained), but I sleep with the fan on in hotels to drown out external noises. BTW, a word about finding the entrance, because it's not actually on Wlm Penn Hwy. At Duff Rd, turn toward the Sheetz (gas station and convenient store) and follow the small access road (or driveway?) that runs up a little hill to the Courtyard. You'll see it easily enough.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stopped at random at this hotel while on a road trip and were very glad we did. The first thing I noticed was how fresh and clean the whole place smelled. The room was clean and tasteful, and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Even the breakfast was better than expected. I'd stay here again anytime.

• Stayed October 2012
IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We drove through on our way to VA twice and stayed here both nights.

Reservations were easy to make.
Check in was easy.

The lobby was nicely decorated.

The first night we were on the 3rd floor with a balcony....very nice.
The room was nicely decorated.

The 2nd time we stayed we were on the 1st floor without a balcony. room had less furniture and we also missed the outdoor space.

We paid the exact same rate for both rooms...both on weekend nights.

the pool is tiny but we were the only people swimming.
the water was kinda cold so we all went in the hot tub to warm up.

we enjoyed the outdoor courtyard. we went and walked around out there.

gas station and restaurants right by the hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at this Courtyard several times over the past few years. We have always booked through priceline at a very reasonable rate rather than the high rack rates (not sure if I would select this hotel for $130+). Under those circumstances, the hotel is a good value as it is very clean and convenient to both the PA Turnpike and 376. If staying here, request a room on the back of the property. The rooms in the front of the hotel (especially on the left side if facing the hotel from the front) are directly behind the Sheetz gas station. If you are a light sleeper, during the night you can hear plenty of noise from the station like trucks idling, car stereos, etc. Also, you will get street noise from Business Rt. 22 on this side of the hotel. However, the worst noise offense was from the housekeeping staff on this last visit, and it might prompt us not to stay there again. In the morning, I kept hearing a loud BANG noise every few seconds. I went into the hall to determine the noise, and it appears that the housekeepers use the door's deadbolt to hold the door open. When they retrieve their supplies from the cart, they let the door slam on the deadbolt and it makes an awful noise. I did notice another housekeeper down the hall using a towel in the door instead. This was not a pleasant way to wake up on a Saturday morning, especially right outside doors that had 'do not disturb signs'. I noticed another housekeeper vacuuming the hall early in the morning right outside another room with a 'do not disturb sign'. This is not acceptable at a hotel with a noon checkout and people are trying to get some rest if they were out late.

Room Tip: Back side of hotel away from Rt. 22 and Sheetz gas station.
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This Courtyard was a pleasant surprise- bright and modern with a large bar/bistro area and nice lounge space. Room was clean comfortable, staff pleasant. Really felt I could relax or get work accomplished in the room.. One of nicer Courtyards I've stayed at.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here. The service was excellent, rooms clean and atmosphere great. The pool was kind of small but it still met our needs. When staying in Monroeville this hotel is a great choice!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Pittsburgh Monroeville? Share your experiences!