“Two Words: Toll Plaza” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Monroeville
Olney, Maryland
“Two Words: Toll Plaza”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

It's interesting that in one recent TripAdvisor review from someone who gave this hotel five stars, the first words are: "This was a one-night stay. We were offered a room away from the toll plaza without asking." That's it right there. Get a room away from the toll plaza, this hotel is probably as decent as any SpringHill Suites. But if the hotel is full, as it was when we arrived, and the only rooms overlook the toll booths, you're in for it. The noise level is ridiculous. Not even the hum of fast-moving traffic on a highway. Trucks gearing down with jack brakes. Cars getting up to speed. And to top it off, the sun beams into your room from this side of the hotel and the curtains have a hard time keeping it out. My wife and I are pretty patient. We rarely move out of a hotel to another one. This time, though, we left for the much more pleasant and comparably priced Residence Inn a little farther west on Business 22.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JoAnn D, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Monroeville, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am very disappointed that your stay was not what you expected.

I would like to apologize to you for the noise that you experienced during the night. I understand that it can be very stressful being in a strange place with traffic noise outside your window. Our standard procedure in this case, would be to move you to the other side of the hotel where it is much quieter. Unfortunately, as you stated, the hotel was near occupancy, and a move was not possible.

Once again, I sincerely apologize that you had to check out early. It is not our intention to have unhappy guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was a one-night stay. We were offered a room away from the toll plaza without asking. The facility and the room were both clean, the front desk employees were friendly (as was the breakfast attendant) and I confirm the quality of the breakfast. Yes--it is a hotel breakfast at no additional charge, but the waffles never fail, there was plenty of yogurt and fresh fruit, and we both thought the sausage was great.

The room was comfortable, if a bit awkwardly shaped, as the TV is placed at the most narrow point in the room--the connection from the bedroom to the sitting room. It felt like a slight squeeze just walking by.

We would stay there again in a heart beat!

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the side away from the turnpike toll plaza. It is a tennis-ball throw from the hotel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for such a wonderful review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am so glad that our breakfast hit the spot. We are proud to say that our Breakfast Attendant, April, has just been named "Breakfast Attendant of the Year" for SpringHill Suites, nationwide. We are very proud of her. Join us after June 1st for our new, and improved, SpringHill Suites breakfast.

We are happy that you stayed with us, and we look forward to seeing you in the future!
Holland, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Friendly, kind and helpful ~ that's the employees at this hotel. This hotel offered a better breakfast than most, which we enjoyed. The workout room was well stocked with throw away headphones, new exercise equipment, clean towels and spring water as well as the ability to adjust the thermostat to stay cool while working out. Can't tell you how many hotels we've stayed in that have the thermostat locked in the exercise room :( The maids speak English - a plus if you need anything. The room was spacious, clean and modernly decorated. Love the sink being in a separate little alcove from the bath/commode - convenient if you are staying with anyone other than family. Would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Perhaps our room was larger because we were directly across from the elevator? Was concerned it wou...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
JoAnn D, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Monroeville, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We strive to be the best in customer service. We are very proud of our newly renovated hotel and our friendly, concientious staff. We hope you visit often and let us know how we're doing.
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

On a recent trip to Pittsburgh we decided to stay in Monroeville and continue to Pittsburgh the next day. I know that I saved at least $100.00 on the price of a room by doing so. This hotel is very clean and the staff was extremely friendly. However, the mattress was a bit uncomfortable and should be replaced. Our room did not face the turnpike toll booths, so that was not a problem for us. I also liked that check out wasn't until 12 noon. I definitely will choose this hotel again when I travel to the Pittsburgh area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the turnpike.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I'm so happy that you saved some money and enjoyed your stay with us. Just to let you know, we have replaced 50% of our mattresses during our new renovation and will be replacing the rest shortly. We look forward to you coming back and getting a "comfy" sleep.
Hanover, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This hotel is undergoing renovation so the lobby is completely closed, and the staff must work out of a small room (poor them!). The pool and the gym are still open, but the breakfast is served in the hallway which is not so great. But at least they are trying, they are very nice folks. And the rooms themselves are very nice. This is a very good location too for my business needs as you can be anywhere in the Pittsburgh area within minutes. The entrance for the PA turnpike is right next door and 376 is just up the road, so it's very convenient. Also there are tons of restaurants in the vicinity. Max and Erma's is located next door at the Holiday Inn and you can walk there in nice weather; otherwise a 15 second drive. Food there is pretty good and moderately priced. There is an Outback right up the road as well. I also had a room facing the toll booths and it didn't bother me at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not on the toll booth side if you think the noise will bother you (it didn't both...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I travel 80% of the time for business. I actually stopped writing reviews for a while but this hotel reawakened my need to let people know about a terrible property. Most negative reviews here focus on the location of the hotel and the tollbooth noise. That's something to be aware of (and not something the hotel can change) so it wouldn't be fair to penalize them for being too close to the Turnpike. That being said...I arrived at 11:45 pm. There was nobody at the front desk. I paced around, called the hotel, went behind the front desk to the back office- no one. Finally, the lady from the front desk appears and begins the check-in process, without so much as a mention of where she was for the last 15 or so minutes. The check-in went something like this- "welcome, the gym is being repaired, breakfast starts at six, see you later." I also got a pathetic "gift bag" for being a gold member- a bottle of water, two napkins, two tiny mints, and a rock-hard Nature Valley granola bar. Nice gesture, I suppose, but if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. The room was disgusting. Hair on the sink, hair on the floor, dirty carpet, filth on the walls. I could tell by the hallways and the rest of the hotel that switching rooms wouldn't make a difference here. Thankfully I was staying one night. The bed was ok but this is one of those places where I would recommend sleeping with a shirt on, you know the ones I am talking about.
Breakfast was blah- the usual fake eggs, greasy bacon, "oatmeal" and kid's cereal. The check-out process was about as professional as check-in. If you're in this area, try the Courtyard or even the Comfort Suites. If you're used to any type of Marriott standards, be aware that this place missed the memo.

Room Tip: Facing tollbooth or not, this hotel is not good so it won't make much of a difference.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Western Mass
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Comfortable, clean, staff was nice. I do have to agree that when I looked out my window, I discovered that it actually overlooked some sort of highway tollboth - probably 100 feet away. It didn't disturb my sleep at night, but was a bit noisy in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to SpringHill Suites Monroeville? Share your experiences!