“Nice but needs good carpet cleaning” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township to your Saves list
Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3455 William Penn Highway, Monroeville, PA 15235   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Monroeville
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice but needs good carpet cleaning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

By all means this hotel has great potential. Good location, spacious modern rooms, nice lobby and staff. BUT...this hotel needs to be cleaned properly. My room was just plain dirty. The sheets had stains, it was very dusty and the carpet was a disaster in the room with horrible black stains all over the place and had a distinct smell of pet odors. I was on the first floor, so I assume they put people with pets on this floor..so whatever you do request a room other than first floor if you want to avoid this terrible experience.(I did not bring pet) I actually had booked this hotel twice within a week for a stay over for my travel to Ohio. Both instances I had the same experience so it was not just one bad room but multiple bad rooms. There is no excuse to have such dirty carpeting for the price of the 2 bedroom suite. I stay at lots of these hotels and I have never seen a carpet this dirty. Also, people with pets walk their dogs past these first floor rooms and I had people looking through my window while I was sleeping and it scared me. They can walk right up to the windows of the first floor, no landscaping or balcony to prevent this so it is scary to see someone looking through the crack in your curtains.
The temperature in the room was 82 degrees when we first arrived, no wonder it smells with the excess heat when the room is unoccupied. Also there is a distinct smell of cigarette smoke on the first floor both times I was there in the exact same location on the first floor.
On the plus side the rooms are modern and spacious, I had a 2 bedroom suite. The breakfast is nice and the lobby is very nice as well as the staff.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the rooms at the front of the hotel near gas station, dog walkers look in your window...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Woodbridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We needed a place to stay after "life intervened" and we had to stay locally in Pittsburgh after our relatives got sick and we needed to vacate their home on Thanksgiving Saturday (yea, one of the busiest days of the year for bookings). We also needed "early entry" to a room, around noon. Well, Residence Monroeville/Wilkins had been 100% occupied the previous evening and were close to full occupancy again on Saturday. Initially the front desl lady told us they were full; then a room opened but housekeeping was not going to be able to complete a room until mid-afternoon (too late for us). I asked to speak w/ management and two managers went into "overdrive" to help us in our dilemma. I cannt say enough about how gracious and understanding both Nicole Pelino and Marion Blair were ! I specifically asked for their names as they are true gems over there. They saw to it that we got a fresh room pronto (first room to be made up). Our room was fresh, spotlessly clean, and what a nice room decor ! Not one, but two bid flat-screen HDTV screens (one in living room and one in separate bedroom).

The bed was typical comfy Marriott (perfect) and the furniture was like being at home (recliner and separate foot rest, nice sofa, and well-appointed kitchen).

Good location to many restaurants of all kinds. Quiet to traffic. They had a nice breakfast, though some folks were grumbling that they were "running out" before the appointed closure. Hey, we were fine...you didn't need that extra biscuit anyway! There is even a nice gas fireplace burning in the lobby in addition to a big LCD screen.
I like this place...a lot! I would go back there again and again. I know as long as they have the current management, people will get "taken care of." For a reasonable price, you get a one-bedroom and a full kitchen. Full facilities such as indoor pool and work-out area (did not actually try out, but it looked nice.

Don't hesitate to try this place if you are in the area. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: There may be a "quieter side" away from parking lot, but we were on park lot side and we w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We had a 2 room suite (1 queen bed & 1 king bed) and it was perfect for travelling with a grandparent and children. Each room has their own bathroom which is a very nice feature. The 'common area' in the suite is somewhat limited, but the result of this is two generous bedrooms so it's hard to complain about that. There was also a pull out couch in the living room area, so theoretically the suite could sleep 5 or 6. It had a full kitchen which was great and the whole suite was tastefully decorated and well appointed. The hotel itself is lovely. All very fresh and modern. The staff seem to have NO idea about directions/travel times/destinations, but most of them will offer to google something for you. The breakfast (which is free) changes daily and is decent considering it's free. We also went to the manager's reception one evening and were surprised that it was basically a full meal being served (also free). I used the laundry facility twice (oh travelling with children <sigh>) and the machines were efficient and fast. We were also given all the free soap and fabric softener we could ever want. Overall a great experience. Oh, and because the staff probably won't know drive times (lol)-20 minutes to the Aviary and Children's Museum, 20 minutes to the Zoo, 28 minutes or so to the high end mall. The hotel location is fantastic if you don't mind a short drive to the attractions (avoid rush hour though-getting into/through downtown during peak time is pretty slow).

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that face onto the Sheets station-you will have a much better sleep if you can avoid...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Spent one night in October while touring museums of Pittsburgh. The place was fully booked due to a local highschool reunion taking place; The elderly persons were very quiet (and very civil, as with most Pittsburghers we met).

Location only 25 minutes from city centre. The hotel is next to a highway, but very quiet (at least on our side, facing the parking lot). Thus, if you are seeking somewhere quiet and less hectic but within car-touring distance to major attractions, this place is ideal.

Rooms very clean and well maintained, (though the decor is rather awful)! Front desk quite polite -- much more so than at Pittsburgh "North Side" Residence Inn (which is also much louder and not as well maintained). Continental breakfast is tasteless, but it's the standard fare served everywhere else -- so nothing to blame.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Willmar, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Spent two nights here while doing business in Pittsburgh. Beautiful hotel, updated, clean, great beds...EXCELLENT staff. Will definitely return here when I am in Pittsburgh. (The only suggestion I have and it is minor-clean footprints and fingerprints off of white doors.) HIGHLY recommend!

Room Tip: Try the breakfast and the evening "meals," a pleasant surprise!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Waxhaw, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Our family of 5 stayed in a 2 bedroom suite for 6 nights while my husband was working nearby. The location was great for him, but also for the kids and I as we ventured into downtown Pittsburgh for museums. The rooms were not spacious, but did have tons of storage space for all of our stuff. The staff was very friendly (a special shout out to Ms. Linda who was wonderful with our kiddos - even up for a race with the boys down the corridor. :-) Breakfast was awesome with plenty of appealing and healthy options (fresh fruit!). They offer complimentary dinners M-W that were a huge lifesaver for a family with little ones. The pool was nice, although it could've been a tad warmer. Overall everything was extremely clean, convenient and comfortable. Would definitely stay again and highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights (tues - fri). The staff was friendly, and what really impressed me was on the 2nd night of coming back in from work, the lady (I dont remember her name, but she has short brown hair) at the front desk greeted me - by my name (I was really impressed by that!).

My room was a good size, and was nicely decorated. I really liked swivel base on the TV - you can rotate it to watch TV in bed, or in the kitchen.

The bathroom exhaust fan is on constantly, I had to shut the door to the toilet/shower when I slept to keep the noise down.

Easy to access off William Penn - there is a traffic light right at the gas station. I was not able to use the basketball court due to rain.

I would definitely come back for a repeat stay.

Room Tip: Shut the door to the bathroom before you go to bed - the exhaust fan is always on and can create a b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Pittsburgh Monroeville/Wilkins Township? Share your experiences!